1. Noted academician Amitabh Mattoo appointed as Advisor to J&K CM Mufti Mohammad Sayeed
Noted academician and former Vice-Chancellor of the Jammu University Amitabh Mattoo was appointed as Advisor to Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) Chief Minister (CM) Mufti Mohammad Sayeed. Mattoo will have the status of a Cabinet Minister.
Born in Srinagar, Mattoo has been the Chief Executive Officer and inaugural Director of the Australia India Institute and Professor of International Relations at the University of Melbourne in Australia.
Currently, he is on leave from New Delhi’s Jawaharlal Nehru University where he serves as a Professor of Disarmament Studies at the School of International Studies. He is widely regarded as an inspiring and innovative builder of institutions and the foremost Indian intellectual seeking to build peace in the South Asian region.
Mattoo also serves on the Governing Council of the Indian Council for Social Science Research (ICSSR), the Executive Committee and Governing Council of Pugwash and is a member of the Lancet Commission on Adolescent Health and Well Being.
2. Puducherry CM N Rangasamy launched Free Laptop Scheme
Puducherry Chief Minister (CM) N Rangasamy launched the much awaited Free Laptop Scheme. The scheme envisages to provide free laptops to all students who have passed Plus Two from Government Higher Secondary Schools in the last two academic years that is 2013-14 and 2014-15.
The state will give free laptops to 11 thousand odd students by incurring an expense of 20 Crore rupees. While launching the scheme, Rangasamy gave away laptops to 180 students who topped in Plus Two Examinations in their respective schools.
The scheme was launched on the occasion of Student's Day in Puducherry. During the launching ceremony, Rangasamy also distributed 5000 rupees each to 10 students who excelled in the National Talent Search Examination.
3. Infosys launched three new services Aikido
India’s second largest IT services company Infosys launched Aikido, three enhanced service offerings in design thinking, platforms and knowledge-based IT (KBIT).
AIkido services are aimed at helping its clients address three key aspects of their business. The three service offerings are Ki in Knowledge-Based IT, Do in Design Thinking, and Ai in Platforms.
Two out of the three new services will be offered by Infosys Consulting, headed by Sanjay Purohit.
• The first of the services is Ki, it is a large-scale, modular service to help renew enterprise landscapes.
• The services will include knowledge-based IT strategy, knowledge curation services, knowledge-based cost optimization.
• It aims to help enterprises renew their mainframe applications, support cost optimisation and drive automation in business operations.
• The second service Do refers to the service offering on Design Thinking and design-led initiatives.
• Do service will provide Infosys the framework for finding, understanding and defining the problems that are most important to clients and their businesses.
• Ai refers to platform and platforms as a service to build intelligent solutions.
• This will include the Infosys-automation platform, Panaya and other offerings in the engineering services, BPO and testing space.
• Mobile platforms based on Skava also come under this new service.
Jointly, Ai, Ki and Do together form Aikido, the east Asian martial arts and just as Aikido aims to understand the forces, and redirect these it into a fundamental strength.
4. Uber Cabs tied-up with Bharti Airtel to set up WiFi hotspots in each of its cabs
Bharti Airtel Limited tied-up with the Uber Cabs, allowing Uber riders to pay using
Airtel’s mobile wallet service Airtel Money. With this partnership, Uber will set up WiFi hotspots in each of its cabs. Uber will pay Airtel for the bandwidth consumed.
As part of this partnership, Uber riders across India can now pay for their trips using Airtel's mobile wallet service Airtel Money. Mumbai will be the first city in India to enjoy free high-speed internet from Uber, powered by Airtel 4G. The service will soon be rolled out for Uber riders pan-India.
Under the terms, Bharti Airtel will offer its 4G MiFi (mobile WiFi) devices to Uber vehicles, while drivers will get subsidised mobile devices and data plans. While, Uber will offer discounts to Airtel customers, including 500 rupees off on their first ride using Airtel Money.
5. Union Government to sell 10 per cent stake in IOC
Union government has announced to sell 10 per cent stake in state owned Indian Oil Corporation (IOC). This disinvestment drive on the stock market through an offer for sale (OFS) will fetch Union Government about 9,500 crore rupees to the exchequer. The 10 per cent stake in IOC comprises 24.27 crore shares. Presently, Union government holds around 68.57 per cent shares in IOC which is the biggest oil refining and marketing company in the country. Stake sale of IOC will mark the fourth round of disinvestment drive of Union Government in year 2015. Other three rounds of disinvestment are being in carried in Power Finance Corporation (PFC), Rural Electrification Corporation (REC) and Dredging Corporation of India (DCI). So far from these disinvestment drives government has earned around 3,300 crore rupees.