1. India losses solar case against US at WTOIndia has lost solar case against United States at the World Trade Organisation (WTO). Dispute Settlement Body (DSB) of WTO has ruled that, India’s requirement of only domestic solar equipment’s for its ambitious Jawaharlal Nehru National Solar Mission (JNNSM) is inconsistent with the international trade norms. Background In 2014, US had dragged India in DSB of WTO against its JNNSM which favoured only to use locally manufactured solar equipment. US in its appeal had alleged that, the state sponsored programme of India has discriminated importation of solar equipment manufactured in US.
2. Vassiliki Thanou sworn in as first female Prime Minister of Greece
President of Greece’s Supreme Court Vassiliki Thanou has been appointed as the first female Prime Minister of the heavily indebted country which is center of Eurozone crisis. She was sworn in as head of a caretaker government that will lead nation until next snap election which is scheduled to be held in September 2015.
3. India gifts former Indian Coast Guard Ship Varaha to Sri Lanka
India has gifted its former Indian Coast Guard (ICG) Ship Varaha to Sri Lanka. The ceremonial of handing over of the ship took place at the port of Colombo in keeping with naval customs and traditions. The patrol ship had been in service with Sri Lanka Navy as Sri Lanka Naval Ship Sagara since 2006. It will now help the island nation to further maintain maritime security in the region. ICG Varaha is 75 metres in length and 11 metres in width. In 2006, it was provided by the Indian Government on a free dry lease to the Sri Lanka Navy. Since then, it had successfully served the Sri Lanka Navy for surveillance and other activities during this period.
4. Indian Bank launches 'IndPay'
With an eye on people on the move, public lender Indian Bank has launched IndPay, a mobile application service that enables its customers to operate bank account from anywhere, anytime.
IndPay can be operated through smartphones compatible with Android, Windows and iOS mobile operating systems.
Customers can do transactions like enquiries, getting mini statements and transferring funds to any account, the Chennai-based bank said in a statement.
Indian Bank MD and CEO M K Jain formally unveiled the new service recently
5. PM pays tributes to Dhyan Chand on National Sports Day
Prime Minister Narendra Modi today paid tributes to hockey wizard Major Dhyan Chand on the National Sports Day and congratulated the sportspersons and coaches who would be conferred with various sports awards.
Dhyan Chand’s birthday today is being celebrated as the National Sports Day in the country.
The Prime Minister also extended good wishes to all those athletes and coaches who will be honoured at the Rashtrapati Bhawan with various sports awards.