1. Alexis Tsipras led left-wing Syriza party wins Greece General Election
Alexis Tsipras led left-wing Syriza party has emerged as the largest party in the general (snap) elections to the Greece’s Parliament. In this election, Syriza party won 144 seats in the 300 seat Parliament by securing 35 percent of total votes. While the Conservative New Democracy Party has emerged second largest party by winning 75 seats and Golden Dawn has emerged third largest party by winning 18 seats. It is the second election victory for Syriza party as it had earlier in January 2015 had formed coalition government with Alexis Tsipras as Prime Minister for first time.
2. Richie Richardson appointed to Elite Panel of ICC Match Referees
The International Cricket Council (ICC) announced that former West Indies cricket captain Richie Richardson was appointed to the Elite Panel of ICC Match Referees.
He will replace Sri Lanka’s Roshan Mahanama who stepped down from the position in the third week of September 2015.
Richardson is expected to take over the role at the end of his current assignment as the West Indies cricket team manager.
The last match to be overseen by him as the manager will be the Sydney test against Australia on 3 January 2016.
List of Elite Panel of ICC Match Referees
• David Boon (Australia)
• Chris Broad (England)
• Jeff Crowe (New Zealand)
• Ranjan Madugalle (Sri Lanka)
• Andy Pycroft (Zimbabwe)
• Richie Richardson (West Indies)
• Javagal Srinath (India)
3. Indian Coast Guard commissioned indigenously built vessels Apoorva & C-421
Indian Coast Guard (ICG) commissioned two indigenously built ships Apoorva and C-421 at the Naval Dock in Mumbai.
They were commissioned by Flag Officer Commanding in Chief of the Western Naval Command SPS Cheema.
The induction of the vessels is expected to boost maritime security along the Arabian Sea coast.
Features of ICGS Apoorva
• It is a 50 meter long Fast Patrol Vessel (FPV).
• It displaces 317 tonnes and can achieve a maximum speed of 33 knots.
• It is equipped with state-of-the-art weaponry, advanced communication and navigational equipment that make her an ideal platform for undertaking multifarious close-coast Surveillance, interdiction, Search & Rescue and medical evacuation missions.
• It will be based at Goa under the administrative and operational control of the Commander, Coast Guard District Headquarters No 11.
Features of ICGS C-421
• It is a water jet propelled vessel.
• It is the 27th in the series of IBs constructed by L & T Limited and can achieve a maximum speed of 45 Knots.
• It is fitted with medium range armaments, the ship is designed for close coast and shallow water operations.
• It is based at Androth (L&M Islands), under the administrative and operational control of the Commander, Coast Guard District Headquarters No 12.
4. Indian Wushu team won 12 medals at Pars International Cup in Tehran
The Indian Wushu team secured 12 medals comprising of one gold, four silver and seven bronze medals at the Fifth International Pars Wushu Cup held in Tehran. The event was held from 19 September to 20 September 2015.
India’s L. Budhachandra Singh won the gold medal after defeating Masod Ansari of Iran in the final of the 56 kg category on the last day of the tournament. On the other hand, Mukesh Choudhary and Rajani Deori fetched silvers for the country.
The Indian team won two silver and three bronze medals in the previous edition held at Zenjan, Iran.
5. Vikram Pawah appointed as Managing Director of Harley Davidson's India operations
Vikram Pawah was appointed as the Managing Director of India operations of US cult bike maker Harley Davidson with immediate effect. Pawah succeeded Anoop Prakash, who was appointed as the Managing Director of Harley Davidson Canada.
Pawah will manage Harley Davidson India’s leadership team responsible for in-country sales, dealer network management, marketing, service and operations activities to expand the company’s presence in the country.
Pawah has more than 24 years of experience in the auto industry, out of which he spent 21 years with Honda in India and Australia. His most recent role was as Assistant Vice President and Operating Head - Sales with Honda Cars India Ltd.
6. September 21: International Day of Peace
Every year September 21 is being observed as International Day of Peace across the world. The theme for the year 2015 is Partnerships for Peace- Dignity for All. Significance: The International Day of Peace acknowledges the efforts of those who have strived to end conflict and promote peace. This day is also observed as a day of ceasefire. The United Nations calls all nations and people to devote this day to strengthen the ideals of peace both within and among all nations and peoples.
7. Sherif Ismail sworn-in as Prime Minister of Egypt
Sherif Ismail has sworn-in as the new Prime Minister of Egypt. He was administered oath to the office by President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi. He will succeed Ibrahim Mehleb who had resigned from office following a corruption scandal involving his cabinet minister. Along with Sherif Ismail, 33 ministers of his Cabinet also sworn-in which includes 16 new faces and three women. Prior to this appointment, Sherif Ismail had served as the Minister of Petroleum and Mineral Resources from July 2013 to September 2015. By profession, Ismail is an engineer and had earlier worked as Chairman of Egypt government owned oil holding company, Ganoub El Wadi Petroleum Holding Company (GANOPE).
8. Union Defence Ministry elevates Dr. P Sivakumar as Distinguished Scientist
Dr. P Sivakumar has been elevated as Distinguished Scientist with immediate effect by the Union Defence Ministry Ministry. He has been promoted in recognition of his diligence and dedication in self-reliance effort for defence combat vehicle systems and sub-systems Presently, he is serving as Director of Combat Vehicles Research and Development Establishment (CVRDE) Avadi, Tamil Nadu. He has been instrumental in developing various critical systems for the Indian armed forces. He had worked for more than two decades in Design and Development of Transmission systems for tracked and wheeled vehicles application.
9. Chinese-based Lead Eastern to invest Rs. 98 cr in Zapak Mobile
Chinese firm Lead Eastern Group has acquired a 10 per cent stake in Anil Ambani owned Reliance Games for $15 million (Rs 98.4 crore)
Lead will invest $ 15 million for a 10 per cent stake in Reliance Game’s mobile gaming company, Zapak Mobile Games Private Ltd,
The two companies said it will create and market mobile games globally.
Besides this, Reliance Games, Lead Eastern Investment & Creative Cultural have also agreed to form a Joint Venture Company in China to exclusively partner to create, operate and market Mobile Games, based on Intellectual Properties owned and acquired by Zapak.
The parties will own 40 per cent, 51 per cent & 9 per cent stakes respectively in the China joint venture.
Cabinet on Tuesday cleared the purchase of Boeing's Apache and Chinook helicopters in a deal worth around $2.5 billion, two government sources said, in a further boost to defence ties with the United States.
The approval for 22 Apache attack and 15 heavy lift Chinook helicopters, meant to replace the military's ageing Soviet-origin choppers, came just as Prime Minister Narendra Modi heads to the United States to drum up investments into India.