1. Kailash Satyarthi selected for 2015 Harvard Humanitarian of the Year Award
Nobel Peace laureate Kailash Satyarthi has been selected for the prestigious 2015 Harvard Humanitarian of the Year Award. He has been awarded this award in recognition for championing the cause of child reform and ending all forms of violence against children.
2. India, US and Japan navies kick off 2015 Malabar Naval Exercise
India, United States and Japan navies have started 2015 Malabar Naval Exercise of the eastern coast in Bay of Bengal and India Ocean. The high-end warfighting and complex trilateral exercise is part of annual series of exercises conducted to advance multi-national maritime relationships and mutual security issues.
The five-day exercise includes both ashore and at-sea training exercises, that would share knowledge on carrier strike group operations, anti-submarine warfare, maritime patrol etc. Military-to-military coordination, submarine familiarisation, air defence and surface warfare exercise sessions will be also undertaken at-sea. The joint fleet of 3 navies will include warships, aircraft carriers and fast attack submarines. Total Ten ships, five from India, four from US and one from Japan are participating.
3. DRDO Missile Complex renamed as Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Missile Complex
The country’s prestigious DRDO Missile Complex in Hyderabad was renamed as Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Missile Complex by Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar during an event at Research Centre Imarat on the occasion of the 84th Birth Anniversary of Dr Kalam, the Missile Man.
Dr Kalam joined the Missile Complex, DRDO in 1982 and was a part of it for nearly two decades. The Missile Complex comprises Advanced Systems Laboratory (ASL), Defence Research and Development Laboratory (DRDL) and Research Centre Imarat (RCI), which are considered to be the brain child of Dr Kalam.
4. Tata Housing tied-up with Facebook to sell its affordable homes online
Real estate developer Tata Housing on 14 October 2015 tied-up with social networking firm Facebook to sell its affordable homes online. For this purpose, Tata Housing launched the new campaign titled Social sell on Facebook.
Through this new campaign Social sell, the company plans to sell around 250 units of its new five-acre residential project in Goa called Goa Paradise. The initiative is in line with the company’s target to generate over 30 percent of its overall sales online in the next five years.
Tata Housing started selling homes online in India in 2013 through its partnership with Google as part of The Great Shopping Festival. Currently, the company has sold around 2000 homes online in the last three years.
5. Union Cabinet approved MoU with Mozambique for cooperation in renewable energy
The Union Government on 14 October 2015 approved a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, India and Mozambique.
The agreement was inked between the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy of the Government of India and the Ministry of Mineral Resources and Energy, Government of Mozambique in New Delhi on 5 August 2015.
Highlights of the MoU
• The agreement aims at establishing a cooperative institutional relationship to encourage and promote technical bilateral cooperation, investment promotion and partnership on new and renewable energy issues on the basis of mutual benefit, equality and reciprocity.
• The focus will be on the development of new and renewable energy technologies in the field of conducting on-the-job and specialized training courses on renewable energy field, research & development and of technology transfer in renewable energy.
6. Portugal became the first European country to sign the MoU on establishment of Nalanda University
Portugal became the first European country to sign the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on the establishment of Nalanda University.
The MoU was signed in New Delhi by Portuguese Ambassador to India Ana Martinho and Dr Jitendra Nath Misra, the Ambassador of India to Portugal.
With this, Portugal became the 17th country overall and the fourth outside the East Asia Summit to do so.
About Nalanda University
• The revived university is located at Rajgir in Nalanda District in Bihar.
• It is a non-state, non-profit, secular and self-governing international institution mandated to be engaged in the pursuit of intellectual, philosophical, historical and spiritual studies.
• It was established through Nalanda University Act, 2010 and formally inaugurated on 19 September 2014.
7. Uttar Pradesh Government launched mobile app mSehat for health workers
Uttar Pradesh government on 13 October 2015 launched the mobile app mSehat for health workers to record maternal and infant data in real-time.
The application was developed by Kellton Tech, a company that was selected as the technology partner for the initiative by State Innovations in Family Planning Services Agency (SIFPSA).
The application is aimed at improving the infant mortality rate outcomes.
Key Features of mSehat
• mSehat is a cloud-hosted solution to facilitate remote access and enrolment from across the region through 2G-enabled mobile devices.
• The recorded data will be stored in the cloud, which will act as the central repository.
• The initial implementation will be done in five districts, namely Mirzapur, Faizabad, Sitapur, Bareilly and Kannauj, and later it will be extended to the entire state.
• In the first phase, 10252 ASHA (Accredited Social Health Activists) workers will be equipped with smart phones.
• Tablets will be given to 1719 Auxiliary Nurse Midwife (ANMs) and 300 people comprising medical officers, medical officers in-charge & SIFPSA staff.
8. Inox Wind commissions 220 kv sub-station in Gujarat
Inox Wind Ltd has commissioned 220 KV sub—station and transmission line in Gujarat.
Inox Wind Ltd is pleased to announce the commissioning of the 220 Kv sub—station and transmission line at its Rojmal site in Gujarat.
The sub—station is part of the common infrastructure facility at the site and is capable of supporting power evacuation of 400 MW.
Besides, Inox added, it has commissioned projects of a cumulative capacity of 116 MW for its clients Sembcorp Green Infra, Tata Power, and PSUs like Gujarat Alkalies and Chemicals Ltd.
The commissioned projects will help in saving 0.17 million tonnes of coal and curtail 0.2 million tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions annually.
9. Zaheer Khan retires from international cricket
Fast bowler Zaheer Khan announced his retirement from international cricket .
The 37-year-old pacer made the announcement on Thursday, ending his 14-year long international career. Zaheer made his India debut in 2000 and played his last game for India in 2014 at Wellington against New Zealand.
He has played 92 Tests (311 wickets), 200 ODIs (282 wickets) and 17 Twenty20 matches (17 wickets).
The left arm seamer made his Test debut against Bangladesh at Dhaka in 2000 and played his last Test against New Zealand at Basin Reserve in February 2014. He was part of the Indian team that won the 2011 World Cup at the Wankhede Stadium.
Zaheer was the joint highest wicket-taker in the 2011 World Cup along with Pakistan’s Shahid Afridi, claiming 21 wickets at 18.76.