1. Syed Akbaruddin appointed as next Permanent Representative of India to UN
Syed Akbaruddin was appointed as the next Permanent Representative of India to the United Nations at New York. He will replace Asoke Kumar Mukerji who assumed the position in April 2013.
In this position, Akbaruddin will head India’s diplomatic mission in the UN and articulates the country’s stand on critical issues at the global forum.
2. PRASAD and Swadesh Darshan schemes of Ministry of Tourism
PRASAD and SWADSH DARSHAN schemes of the Union Ministry of Tourism were in news in the second week of November 2015.
The two initiatives, along with Zonal Cultural Centres (ZCCs), were launched to achieve 1 per cent share of international tourist arrivals by 2016-17 from the present 0.68 per cent.
Both the schemes are under implementation in mission mode and aimed at developing world-class tourism related infrastructure.
Features of PRASAD
• Its objective is to augment religious and spiritual tourism in the country as India is a land of many religions like Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, Jainism and Sufism.
• As part of mission strategy, religious destinations that have potential to be show-cased as world-class tourism products are identified and infrastructure is developed on a priority basis.
• In the initial phase, 12 cities, that are part of HRIDAY scheme, namely Amritsar, Ajmer, Amaravati, Dwaraka, Gaya, Kanchipuram, Kedarnath, Kamakhya, Mathura, Puri, Varanasi and Vellankani have been identified for development.
Features of Swadsh Darshan
• As part of the scheme, theme based tourism circuits are identified for infrastructure development across the country.
• Theme Based Tourist Circuit (TBTC) is defined as a tourist circuit around specific themes such as religion, culture, ethnicity, niche, etc.
• A TBTC could be confined to a state or could be a regional circuit covering more than a state or union territory (UT).
3. Philippines to host 2015 Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation Summit
Philippines is going to host 2015 Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit from 18–19 November 2015 in its capital city Manila for the first time in nearly two decades. It is second time Philippines hosting the Asia-Pacific region’s most high-level business event i.e. APEC summit and had previously hosted it in 1996. For first time Philippines had hosted the APEC summit under the leadership of then-President Fidel Ramos who had vowed to help develop an action plan on facilitating free trade in the region.
4. Union Government declares NSCN(K) as terror organization
nion Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has declared Naga militant outfit National Socialist Council of Nagaland (Khaplang) formally known as NSCN (K) as a terrorist organization. In this regard MHA has issued an official gazette notification mentioning that NSCN (K) and all its formations and front organisations have been declared as a terrorist organization under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967. NSCN (K) has resorted to terrorism by killing civilians and security forces and in June 2015 it was engaged in other violent activities including the attack on an Army convoy in Chandel district of Manipur.
5. Health Ministry inaugurates country’s first AMRIT outlet at AIIMS in New Delhi
Union Ministry of Health & Family Welfare has opened country’s first Affordable Medicines and Reliable Implants for Treatment (AMRIT) outlet at AIIMS in New Delhi to sell drugs at highly discounted rates. The retail outlet was inaugurated by Union Health Minister J P Nadda at AIIMS campus in New Delhi under the AMRIT programme which aims drugs to sell drugs at highly discounted rates.
6. Saina Nehwal wins silver medal at 2015 China Open
Ace Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal has won silver medal at 2015 China Open
Superseries Premier Badminton tournament after finishing at second position in the Women’s Singles category. In the final match played at the Haixia Olympic Sports Centre in Fuzhou, the defending champion and top seeded Saina lost to sixth placed Xuerui Li from China by 12-21, 15-21 score. Saina and Li had met 12 times against each other and Saina has won just 2 of those games. The final of China Open tournament was overall Saina’s fifth final of the year 2015 and the third instance in 2015 that the World No. 1 has come out second best. Note: In year 2014, India’s Srikanth Kidambi and Saina Nehwal had created history by winning 2014 China Open in Men’s Singles and Women’s Singles category respectively.
Other Results of 2015 China Open
Men’s Singles category: won by Lee Chong Wei from Malaysia. Men’s Doubles category: won by South Korea pair of Kim Gi-jung and Kim Sa Rang.
Women’s Doubles category: won by Chinese pair of Tang Yuanting and Yu Yang.
Mixed Doubles category: won by Chinese pair of Zhang Nan and Zhao Yunlei.
7. Noted Children’s Book Writer Kamala Laxman passes away
A noted writer of children’s books Kamala Laxman passed away on 14 November 2015 in Pune. She was 90. She was widow of legendary cartoonist R K Laxman who was best known for his creation The Common Man for his daily cartoon strip You Said It in the daily The Times of India.
8. Nico Roseberg wins 2015 Brazilian Grand Prix title of F1
Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg from Germany has won the 2015 Brazilian Grand Prix title of Formula One (F1) held at Autódromo José Carlos Pace in Socorro district of Sao Paulo. It was Rosberg’s overall thirteenth championship title of F1 in his career and the fifth win in the 2015 season after Spain, Monaco, Australian and Mexican Grand Prix.
9. Online auto classifieds portal CarTrade acquired CarWale
Online auto classifieds firm CarTrade.com acquired car-selling portal CarWale.com from Automotive Exchange Pvt. Ltd. in a full-cash deal.
However, the size of the deal was not disclosed by CarTrade, which is owned and operated by Mumbai-based MXC Solutions India Pvt. Ltd.
As a part of the acquisition, German media giant Axel Springer exited CarWale by selling its entire shareholding to CarTrade.
After the deal, the CarTrade, which only sells used cars, plans to enter into the new cars segment. However, both the companies will continue to operate as independent platforms.
Together, the CarTrade and the CarWale get over 32 million monthly visits and work with about 9000 new and used car dealer partners who connect car manufacturers with buyers. The deal gave a passage to more than 225000 used cars to be listed for sale now.
10. Veteran actor Saeed Jaffrey passed away
Veteran Bollywood actor Saeed Jaffrey passed away on 15 November 2015 due to age-related ailments. He was 86.
Jaffrey appeared in numerous Indian and British movies, including Gandhi, Ram Teri Ganga Maili, A Passage to India, Chashme Buddoor, My Beautiful Laundrette and many more. He also starred in critically acclaimed movie Shatranj ke Khiladi directed by Satyajit Ray.
The legendary actor also appeared regularly on the British soap operas, including Gangsters, The Jewel in the Crown, Common as Muck and Coronation Street in which he appeared as Ravi Desai.
11. Jharkhand Government introduced Mobile Governance
The Jharkhand Chief Minister Raghubar Das introduced Mobile Governance in the state to realise the dreams of Digital India during the occasion of 16th Foundation Day of the state.
The State Government launched 14 mobile applications and three web portals on the State Foundation Day to deliver the benefits of information technology to the people of the state in order to bridge the gap between the government and public.
To facilitate quick clearance for industries, the state government introduced Advantage Jharkhand Portal, the country's first single window portal.
The mobile applications were developed by Jharkhand Space Applications Centre (JSAC). These are designed to bring services from government, civic bodies and police force to the Android smartphones of the beneficiaries.
All the mobile applications can be downloaded free of cost from apps.jharkhand.gov.in portal. Although, they have not been put up on any popular application distribution platform yet, this option is open for exploration in future.
12. Maareech, an Advanced Torpedo Defence System, handed over to Indian Navy
he Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar handed over the Maareech - Advanced Torpedo Defence System – developed by DRDO to the Navy Chief Admiral Robin K. Dhowan in Vishakhapatnam.
Highlights of Maareech
• Maareech is a joint project of Naval Physical and Oceanographic Laboratory (NPOL), Kochi and NSTL, Visakhapatnam.
• It is a state-of-the-art indigenous system for torpedo detection and countermeasures.
• The system provides a complete solution to detect and locate the incoming torpedo and to apply countermeasures to protect naval platform against torpedo attack.
• The system is capable of detecting, confusing, diverting and decoying the incoming torpedoes.
• Two production grade Maareech systems have been developed and user evaluation trials completed onboard two Indian Navy ships.