1. PM announces Rs 80,000 cr package for J&K development, invokes Vajpayee
Invoking Atal Bihari Vajpayee’s mantra for development, Prime Minister Narendra Modi today announced a package of Rs. 80,000 crore for Jammu and Kashmir and pledged to transform it into a new, modern, progressive and prosperous state for which there will no dearth of money.
Recalling the words of the former Prime Minister “Kashmiriyat, Jamhooriyat aur Insaniyat’ (social consciousness and cultural values of the Kashmiri people, democracy, and humanity)
In his second public rally in Kashmir after becoming the Prime Minister, Modi announced the package and said that this is not a full stop as “our hearts are also open for you“.“The Centre announces Rs. 80,000 crore package to the state. It’s my heart-felt desire that this money will be helpful in turning your fate. This money should be used for converting the state into a new Jammu and Kashmir which is modern, prosperous and progressive state.
2. Off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin became fastest Indian to reach 150 test wickets
Off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin on 6 November 2015 became the fastest Indian to reach 150 wickets mark in the Indian test cricket history.
He achieved this feat when he took Imran Tahir’s wicket in the first innings of the first test against South Africa in Mohali, Punjab.
In this match, Ashwin also became the first bowler in over 100 years to take 50 wickets after opening the bowling. He achieved this feat in 12 matches off 1888 balls.
The previous record was held by Colin Blythe of England who took 74 wickets between 1902 and 1910 in 13 tests.
The test is a part of four-match test series played to win Freedom Trophy, which is in turn is a part of the larger Mahatma Gandhi-Nelson Mandela Series that includes ODIs and T20s as well.
3. Union Government decided to impose 0.5% Swachh Bharat Cess on all services
Union Ministry of Finance on 6 November 2015 decided to impose 0.5 percent Swachh Bharat Cess (SBC) on all taxable services. It will be levied in addition to the 14 percent service tax that is in force now.
The SBC will come into force on 15 November 2015. Its proceeds will be exclusively used to support Swachh Bharat initiative.
The decision to impose SBC is in tune with the announcement made by the Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley in his budget 2015-16 budget speech advocating for 2 percent additional cess to fund Swachh Bharat.
As per an estimate, the SBC is expected to fetch additional 4000 crore rupees per annum in tax revenues to the government.
The Union Government under the Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM) is planning to spend around 134000 crore rupees by 2019 to construct 11 crore 11 lakh toilets in the country.
4. Rajasthan government launched the Agro-Processing and Agri-Marketing Promotion Policy 2015
Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje on 5 November 2015 launched the Rajasthan Agro-Processing and Agri-Marketing Promotion Policy 2015. The policy seeks to promote agro-processing and to reduce post harvest losses at the farm gate.
The Agriculture Department of Rajasthan Government will be the nodal department for the policy and Rajasthan State Agricultural marketing Board will act as nodal agency for the policy.
The policy aims to promote agro-processing and to reduce post harvest losses at the farm gate thus ensuring maximum prices of farmer’s agri produce. The state government also signed 112 MoUs with private companies in different sectors during the launch of policy.
Provisions of Agro-Processing and Agri-Marketing Promotion Policy 2015
• Rajasthan Agro-Processing and Agri-Marketing has been included as the thrust sector under Rajasthan Investment Promotion Scheme, 2014 to provide higher incentives than normal provisions.
• In addition, additional incentives provisions of subsidy for product patent, product registration, quality certification, sending samples abroad, project report preparation, transport of on fruits and vegetables and spices abroad also have been made.
• Investors in agro-processing sectors making investment above 25 lakh rupees shall be granted 60 percent capital subsidy, 10 percent employment generation subsidy of VAT and CST deposited for 7 years.
• These investors shall be granted 50 percent exemption in land tax, electricity duty and mandi cess for 7 years and 50 percent exemption in stamp duty, conversion charges and entry tax on plant & machinery in the state.
• 5 percent interest subsidy on term loan shall be granted to cattle feed and poultry feed manufacturing units for 5 years or till loan is finally deposited whichever is before.
• Customized Package will be granted to the enterprises making an investment of 100 crore rupees and more or employment generation of 250 persons in the unit.
• 50 percent exemption in stamp duty shall be granted on first transfer of plot in Food Park.
5. 21st INCOFYRA to be organised in Bengaluru in 2016
The 21st International Conference on Frontiers in Yoga Research and its Applications (INCOFYRA) will be held from 3 to 7 January 2016 at Prashanti Kutiram, Bengaluru.
The summit will be organized by the Vivekananda Yoga Anusandhana Sansthana. The 21st INCOFYRA will bring together the traditional and modern medical systems.
The theme of the conference is Yoga in Integrated Healthcare Systems.
The conference targets to promulgate the research findings in the field of integrative medicine and give directions to future research on Dialectology, Oncology, Cardiology, Mental Health, and so on.
The Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi will inaugurate the conference.
The 21st INCOFYRA will offer a platform for national and international experts and practitioners in traditional systems of medicine to show findings of evidence–based research regarding impact of Yoga on non-communicable diseases (NCDs).
6. Heena Sindhu won gold in 13th Asian Shooting Championship
India’s Heena Sindhu on 6 November 2015 won the gold medal in the 10m air pistol women’s event at the 13th Asian Shooting Championship.
The championship was started on 1 November 2015 and will be held for 12 days in Kuwait City.
Incidentally, Heena was also the winner of the gold medal in the 10m air pistol event in 8th Asian Air Gun Championship. It was held in New Delhi in September 2015.
Other Indian medal winners in 13th Asian Shooting Championship
• Nivetha won gold in the 10m air pistol junior women’s event
• In the 25m pistol men’s junior event, Shivam Shukla won gold.
• Angad Bajwa secured the individual gold in the junior skeet men’s competition
• Shreya Gawande, Nivetha and Oshin Tawani won gold in the women’s team event.
• Nayani Bharadwaj, Harshada Nithave and Malaika Goel won the gold in the team event of the 10m air pistol.
• Shivam, Arjun Das and Achal Pratap Grewal also won the silver medal in the team event.
• Angad Bajwa, Anant Naruka and Arjun Mann together won the gold in the junior skeet men’s team event.