1. Christine Lagarde appointed as MD of IMF for a second term
1. Christine Lagarde (60) from France has been appointed as the Managing Director (MD) of the International Monetary Fund for a second five-year term. She was sole candidate nominated for the post and was re-nominated by IMF’s Executive Board decision taken by consensus. Her new term will start on 5th July 2016 till 2021.
2. Ms. Lagarde for first time was appointed MD in 2011 after IMF Board had initiated selection process on merit-based and transparent process. She was first woman named to the top post of IMF since the institution’s inception in 1944.
2. Kalikho Pul sworn-in as the 9th Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh
1. Kalikho Pul has been sworn-in as the 9th Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh after Governor JP Rajkhowa used his discretionary powers to appoint him. He was administered oath to the office and secrecy by Governor in a simple function at Raj Bhawan in Itanagar.
2. Now Chief Minister Kalikho Pul has to prove majority in the 60 member state legislative assembly. He is being supported by 32 MLAs including the Congress rebels, BJP legislators and 2 independent legislators. Earlier Kalikho Pul was in Congress Party and had served as State Finance Minister from 2003 until 2007 in the Government led by then Chief Minister Gegong Apang.
3. Japan launched astronomy satellite ASTRO-H
1. Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) successfully launched astronomy satellite ASTRO-H from the Tanegashima Space Center in Kagoshima Prefecture.
The satellite was launched on-board the H-IIA rocket, which was previously known as the New X-ray Telescope (NeXT), and is expected to operate in low Earth orbit for three years.
2. Features of ASTRO-H Mission
• ASTRO-H is the eye to study the hot and energetic universe. The ‘H’ refers to the word Japanese word Hitomi that means pupil or entrance window of the eye.
• The mission involves the 2700-kilogram satellite that is equipped with 4 telescopes and 6 detectors, allowing it to study both “hard” and “soft” x-rays and gamma rays.
• The high-energy astronomy mission primarily seeks to study x-rays emanating mainly from black holes and galaxy clusters.
• The mission was led by the JAXA in partnership with the NASA, European Space Agency, Canadian Space Agency, Netherlands Institute for Space Research and universities in Japan, Europe and North America.
4. Sameer Anjaan entered Guinness Book of Records for writing 3524 songs
1. Bollywood lyricist Sameer Anjaan was officially recognised by Guinness World Records as the Most prolific Bollywood lyricist ever who has composed 3524 different songs as of 15 December 2015.
2. Sameer has written 3524 songs in 650 Bollywood movies, and is now the first Guinness Record possessor in this particular category.
3. Sameer was presented with a certificate during a celebration ceremony held in Mumbai.
5. Amit Mitra named chairman of GST committee of state FMs
1. The Finance Minister of West Bengal Amit Mitra was named the chairman of the Empowered Committee of State Finance Ministers on Goods and Services Tax (GST).
2. Mitra will succeed Kerala Finance Minister K M Mani who had to resign in November 2015 over corruption charges.
Mitra will be the second chairman of the panel, tasked with framing rules for roll out of the GST regime, which will subsume all indirect taxes and create one national market, from West Bengal.
6. Indian Women Cricket Team won three-match ODI series against Sri Lanka
1. The Indian women cricket team won the three-match ODI series against Sri Lanks, 3-0. In the third and final match played in Ranchi, India defeated the Sri Lankan team by seven wickets.
2. Medium-pacer Deepti Sharma grabbed six wickets haul before Veda Krishnamurthy scored a half-century after India posted a comfortable seven-wicket win over Sri Lanka in the third and final ODI.
3. Deepti Sharma, who played a pivotal role in steadying her side's innings, was adjudged the Player of the Match.
7. ISRO successfully test cryogenic engine of GSLV Mark 3 rocket
1. The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has successfully conducted hotbed test of the indigenously developed high-thrust cryogenic engine (CE20) of the GSLV Mark 3 (LVM3) rocket for the upper stage.
2. The long-duration test was conducted at ISRO Propulsion Research Centre at Mahendragiri, Tamil Nadu and lasted for 640 seconds. It was conducted with Mixture Ratio Controller (MRC) in a closed loop mode.
8. US writer Harper Lee passes away
1. US writer Harper Lee passed away in Monroeville, Alabama, US at the age of 89. She had authored a novel ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ released in 1960 which had become a classic of modern American literature. It has sold more than 40 million copies worldwide.
2. The book has a towering presence in American literature and tells the tale of a white lawyer defending a black man accused of rape in the Deep South.
9. Prasar Bharati signs historical MoU with EBC
1. Prasar Bharati has signed a MoU with Empressa de Brazil Communicacao (EBC) in connection with several broadcast related activities including exchange of news, programmes and co-production.
2. This MoU is being described as historical as it is the first agreement that Prasar Bharati has signed with any South American country. It was signed between Prasar Bharati Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Jawhar Sircar and EBC Vice President Mr Mario in Brasilia, Brazil.