1. IMF and India to set-up South Asia Regional Training and Technical Assistance Center in Delhi
1. India and International Monetary Fund (IMF) have decided to set up South Asia Regional Training and Technical Assistance Centre (SARTTC) in New Delhi.
2. In this regard, Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley and Christine Lagarde, Managing Director, International Monetary Fund (IMF) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU).
3. SARTTC will set up for enhancing capacity development and training officials in dealing with macro-economic and financial issues in the South Asia region. It will become the focal point for planning, coordinating, and implementing the IMF’s capacity development activities in the region on a wide range of areas.
2. Anand Mahindra conferred with France’s Chevalier de la Legion d’Honneur
1. Mahindra & Mahindra Chairman and Managing Director (MD) Anand Mahindra was conferred with Chevalier de la Legion d’Honneur (Knight of the Legion of Honour) by French Government.
2. He was presented with this award by Francois Richier, Ambassador of France to India in recognition of his outstanding national and international achievements. Anand Mahindra is one of the most prominent business leaders in India. Under his leadership Mahindra & Mahindra group has turned into a global company of outstanding repute.
3. Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launched “Clean My Coach” service
1. Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launched an online Clean My Coach service. The service allows travelers to get their compartments cleaned by sending an SMS or by using an app or a designated website.
2. The service was launched through Video Conferencing from Rail Bhawan in New Delhi/Northern Railway, Mumbai Central/Western Railway and Lucknow Jn/North Eastern Railway.
Salient Features of Clean My Coach service
• As per the scheme, for any cleaning requirement in the coach, passenger will have to send an SMS on a mobile number 58888. Alternatively, passenger can also use android app ‘Cleanmycoach Indian Railways’ or webpage ‘cleanmycoach.com’ for logging the request.
• Passenger’s request is immediately acknowledged via SMS on mobile phone along with a code.
4. India to supply 18 Meter Gauge Diesel Electric Locomotives to Myanmar
1. RITES (Public Sector Enterprise under Ministry of Railways) signed a contract to supply 18 Meter Gauge 1350 HP Diesel Electric Locomotives to Myanmar Railways. This supply will help Myanmar to meet increasing demand for passenger and freight traffic.This contract was signed at Naypyitaw, Myanmar on 4 March 2016.
2. The supply contract of locomotives is a vital project being funded under an existing line of credit extended to Myanmar by Union Government. These locomotives will be manufactured by Diesel Locomotive Works, Varanasi with several modern features like microprocessor controls, fuel-efficient engine and ergonomic cab design etc.
5. Union Power Ministry named LED based Domestic Efficient Lighting Programme as UJALA
1. Union Power Ministry has announced name UJALA for the LED based Domestic Efficient Lighting Programme (DELP). UJALA is acronym for Unnat Jyoti by Affordable LEDs for All. The National LED based DELP programme was launched by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi on January 2015 for energy conservation by reducing energy consumption.
2. The target of programme is to replace 77 crore incandescent lamps with LED bulbs. Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) is implementing it and is currently running successfully in over 120 cities across India.
6. Lt Gen N P S Hira appointed Deputy Chief of Army
1. Lieutenant General (Lt Gen) N P S Hira has been appointed as Deputy Chief of Army Staff. He will be now moving to Army Headquarters in New Delhi. Presently he is posted as Chief of Staff of Northern command at Udhampur, Jammu and Kashmir. He was commissioned in the Sikh Light Infantry.
2. He has a rich experience of counter insurgency operations in J&K and in the northeast region, as well as conventional operations in Western command. He had commanded the Battalion in Assam (Op Rhino) during high violence period. The unit under his command has bagged 32 gallantry awards and COAS citation.