1. Nuclear-capable surface-to-surface Agni-I ballistic missile test fired
1. Indigenously developed nuclear capable surface-to-surface . ballistic missile Agni-I was successfully test-fired off the Odisha coast.
2. It was conducted as part of training exercise by the Strategic Forces Command (SFC) of Indian Army. The missile was fired from mobile launcher at launchpad-4 of the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Abdul Kalam Island (Wheeler Island) off the Odisha coast.
2. Kakrapar nuclear plant shut down after coolant system develops leak
1. Recently, power generation unit 1 at Kakrapar Atomic Power Station (KAPS) in Gujarat was shut down for indefinitely period after leakage of heavy water. The reactor was shut down as per design provisions after a small leak in the Primary Heat Transport (PHT) System of the plant was detected.
2. The Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL), operator of KAPS has confirmed that there was no harmful, radioactive leakage and the backup safety mechanisms for emergency situation are working as intended.
3. India Inc became first in world to formally adopt UN's sustainable goals
1. India Inc. formally adopted the United Nations' (UN) agenda for the world's sustainable development and the 17 goals identified for its implementation in Mumbai.
2. The 11th National Convention on Sustainable Development Goals organized by the Global Compact Network in Mumbai, which was inaugurated by Union Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar, assumed significance as this is for the first time the UN is involving private and public sector corporates globally to drive its development agenda. This was the first such meeting which was held globally.
4. Palestinian Hanan Al Hroub wins 2016 Global Teacher Prize
1. Palestinian teacher Hanan Al Hroub from a refugee camp has been awarded prestigious one million dollar 2016 Global Teacher Prize.
2. She was presented with the award at a ceremony held in Dubai for her outstanding contribution to the profession. She beat nine other finalists to bag the award including India’s Robin Chaurasiya, who runs a not-for-profit school in Mumbai for girls from the city’s red light district of Kamatipura.
5. Services wins 70th Santosh Trophy football title 2016
1. Services has won the 70th edition of Santosh Trophy Football Championships title 2016 by defeating hosts Maharashtra. In the final match played at SEC Railway Stadium, Nagpur (Maharashtra), the Services defeated host team Maharashtra by 2-1 goal score.
2. For the winning team two goals were score by Tudu in the space of 11 minutes (26th and 37th). For Maharashtra, the single goal was scored by Mohammed Shabaz in the 15th minute. With this win, Services has retained that title and has won it for fifth time in year 1961, 2012, 2013 and 2015.
6. China to set up International Maritime Judicial Centre
1. China’s Supreme Court has decided to set up its own International Maritime Judicial Centre (IMJC) to handle territorial disputes and protect its sea rights. It was announced by China’s Supreme Court Chief Justice Zhou Qiang at the annual meeting of the national legislature National People’s Congress (NPC).
2. This move will help China to bolster its claims in the disputed South and East China seas and also help it become a maritime power.
7. Lin Dan wins 2016 All England Badminton title
1. Lin Dan from China has won the prestigious 2016 All England Badminton title in the men’s singles category. In the final match played at Birmingham, England he defeated Chinese teammate Tian Houwei by 21-9, 21-10 score. It was his overall sixth All England badminton title and earlier he had won it in 2004, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012.
Other category winners
Women’s singles category: Nozomi Okuhara (Japan) won the title by defeating Wang Shixian (China) by 21-11, 16-21 and 21-19 score.
Men’s Doubles category: Russian pair Vladimir Ivanov and Ivan Sozonov won the title by defeating Japanese pair Hiroyuki Endo and Kenichi Hayakawa by 21-23, 21-18, 21-16 score.
Women’s Doubles category: Japanese pair Misaki Matsutomo and Ayaka Takahashi won the title by defeating Chinese pair Tang Yuanting and Yu Yang by 21-10 and 21-12 score.
Mixed Doubles category: Indonesian pair Praveen Jordan and Debby Susanto won the title by defeating Denmark pair Joachim Fischer Nielsen and Christinna Pedersen by 21-12 and 21-17 score.