1. Indian Air Force successfully conducted Exercise Iron Fist in Pokhran
1. The Indian Air Force (IAF) successfully conducted Exercise Iron Fist in Pokhran, Rajasthan.
2. The event was attended by the President of India Pranab Mukherjee, the Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha.
3. The day-night exercise was aimed at demonstrating IAF’s combat and fire power and reassure the nation about its commitment and capabilities in safeguarding the national interests.
4. It also showcased more than 22 types of platforms and Weapons Systems including Sukhoi-30, Mirage-2000, Jaguar, MiG-29, Attack helicopters, Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA), etc.
2. Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched Kisan Suvidha mobile app
1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched Kisan Suvidha mobile application for farmers. It will provide information on subjects such as weather, market prices, seeds, fertilizers, pesticides and agriculture machinery.
2. Kisaan Suvidha is an omnibus mobile app developed to help farmers by providing relevant information to them quickly.
3. ICC suspended Bangladesh’s Arafat Sunny and Taskin from bowling in international cricket
1. The International Cricket Council (ICC) on 16 March 2016 suspended Bangladesh’s Arafat Sunny and Taskin from bowling in international cricket.
2. As per the suspension orders, while the two bowlers will be barred from bowling in international cricket, they may be able to play in domestic cricket events played in Bangladesh with the consent of Bangladesh Cricket Board.
3. The suspensions were enforced after independent assessments found the bowling actions of the two bowlers to be illegal. The assessments were performed in early March 2016 at the ICC-accredited testing centre in Chennai.
4. 21 March: International Day of Forests
1. Every year 21st March is being observed as International Day of Forests to raise awareness of the importance of all types of forests and of trees outside forests. The observance of the day is also used to communicate the vital role forests play in to sustain and protect us i.e. in environmental sustainability, food security and poverty eradication.
2. “Forests and water”. The theme highlights importance of forests as key factor to the planet’s supply of freshwater, which is essential for life. It also marks the joint celebration of the International Day of Forests and World Water Day (22nd March).
5. HS Prannoy wins 2016 Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold badminton title
1. Ace Indian shuttler HS Prannoy (World no 13) has won the prestigious 2016 Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold badminton tournament in the men’s single category. In the final match played at Basel, Switzerland, he defeated Marc Zwiebler (World no 7) of Germany 21-18, 21-15 score. It was his second Grand Prix Gold title after the Indonesia Open Grand Prix Gold won in 2014.
6. Yogeshwar Dutt wins Gold medal in Asian Olympic Qualification tournament
1. Star Indian grappler Yogeshwar Dutt has won a Gold medal in the Asian Olympic Qualification tournament in the 65 kg freestyle category. In the final match held at Astana in Kazakhstan, he defeated Katai Yeerlanbieke from China in the 65 kg freestyle category. With this victory he secured an Olympic quota place for India.
2. He is second Indian wrestler after Narsingh Yadav to secure berth in the 74 kg freestyle category for the 2016 Rio Olympic Games.
7. March 20: World Sparrow Day
1. The world sparrow day is being observed every year on March 20 to raise awareness of the house sparrow and other common birds to urban environments and threats to their populations. The day was celebrated globally by carrying out different activities and events like awareness campaigns, art competitions and the sparrow processions.
2. The rationale for celebrating the Day is to use it as a platform to underscore the need to conserve sparrows as well as the urban biodiversity. Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on the occasion of this day inaugurated a sparrow conservation programme at school levels.