1. Dhirubhai Ambani to be given Padma Vibhushan award posthumously
1.Dhirubhai Ambani, along with construction magnate Pallonji Shapoorji Mistry, Maruti Udyog Chairman R C Bhargava, Sun Pharmaceutical Founder Dilip Shanghvi and MasterCard Chief Executive Ajaypal S Banga are among those chosen for this year’s highest civilian awards.
2. IDBI Bank staff going on strike from Monday
1. A section of officers and employees of IDBI Bank are going on strike from Monday to protest against the government’s plan to pare its stake in the lender.
2. While a group of employees under the banner of United Forum of IDBI Officers and Employees has given a one-day strike call on March 28, another outfit United Platform of IDBI Bank Unions are on a four-day strike till March 31.
3. The bank has around 17,500 employees.The strike will be nationwide, except in Karnataka where the High Court has restrained the unions from any kind of protest or strike.
4. Employees are protesting the government’s proposal to bring down its stake in the bank from around 80 per cent to below 50 per cent.
3. Uttarakhand comes under President’s rule
1. Uttarakhand was brought under President’s rule by the Centre on the grounds of “breakdown of governance” in a controversial decision which comes in the wake of a political crisis triggered by a rebellion in the ruling Congress.
2. President Pranab Mukherjee signed the proclamation under Art 356 of the Constitution dismissing the Congress government headed by Harish Rawat and placing the Assembly under suspended animation this morning on the recommendation of the Union Cabinet.
4. Rotavirus vaccine launched as part of Universal Immunisation Programme
1. The Centre introduced an indigenous Rotavirus vaccine in the Universal Immunisation Programme (UIP) of the country, terming it a “historic moment” in India’s immunisation programme. The vaccine, expected to reduce child deaths due to diarrhoea, is initially being introduced in four States -- Andhra Pradesh, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Odisha.
2. Rotavirus claims nearly 80,000 to one lakh children’s lives every year in the country, and about nine lakh children are hospitalised due to episodes of severe diarrhoea with 32.7 lakh out-patient cases, said Nadda, adding that the vaccine will be expanded to the entire country in a phased manner.
3. The vaccine has been developed indigenously, under a public-private partnership by the Ministry of Science, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, institutions of the US and Indian governments and Bharat Biotech. The initiative has been supported by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.5. Hockey India Annual Awards: Sreejesh, Deepika walk away with honours
1.P.R. Sreejesh and Deepika walked away with the Player of the Year honours at the second Hockey India Annual Awards ceremony for 2015.
2. Sreejesh had a memorable time under the bar last year, notably playing a starring role in India’s shoot-out victory over Holland in the bronze-medal match at the HWL Final.
The veteran Deepika was recognised for her work in defence as the Indian women’s team qualified for the Olympic Games after a gap of 36 years. Both Sreejesh and she were given a cash prize of Rs. 25 lakh.
3. The Late Capt. Shankar Laxman was posthumously chosen for the Lifetime Achievement Award, which carried a purse of Rs. 30 lakh and was accepted by his son, Manohar Singh Shekhawat. Capt. Laxman, a goalkeeper, was part of the Olympic medal-winning teams of 1956 (Melbourne, gold), 1960 (Rome, silver), and 1964 (Tokyo, gold).
4. Harjeet Singh and Preeti Dubey were declared the Upcoming Players of the Year (under-21), taking home Rs. 10 lakh. Women claimed three of the four awards for Best Goalkeeper (Savita), Defender (Kothajit Singh), Midfielder (Ritu Rani) and Forward (Rani Rampal).
5. Other awards:
Invaluable Contribution: Baldev Singh;
Outstanding Achievement: Madhya Pradesh Hockey Academy;
Milestone: Dharamvir Singh, Kothajit Singh, Birendra Lakra, Sushila Chanu (all 100 caps), Gurbaj Singh, and V.R. Raghunath (both 200 caps).
Individual: R.V. Raghuprasad (100 games as umpire), Devinder Walmiki, Nilam Xess, Md. Umar, Harjeet Singh, Gaganpreet Singh, and Preeti Dubey (goals on debut).