Daily Current Affairs of 11 April 2016 for all competitive exams. Read Daily Current Affairs play important role in competitive exams.
Current Affairs of 11 April 2016
1. Jharkhand Chief Minister Ragbubar Das announced that the government would reserve two percent employment in various departments for meritorious sportspersons of the state.
2. The announcement was made at the inaugural function of the National Archery Championship (Indian round) at Arjuna stadium.
At present, two percent job quota for medal-winning sportspersons is there only in state police department, it was extended to all departments.
2. Khadija Ismayilova selected for 2016 UNESCO/Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize
1. Investigative journalist Khadija Ismayilova of Azerbaijan has been chosen for the prestigious 2016 UNESCO/Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize. She will be bestowed with this award during the celebration of World Press Freedom Day i.e. on 3 May 2016 in recognition of her outstanding contribution to press freedom in difficult circumstances.
2. Her name for the prestigious award was recommended by an independent international jury of media professionals. Khadija Ismayilova is a freelance journalist and contributor to the Azerbaijani service of Radio Free Europe. In September 2015, she was sentenced to seven and a half years’ imprisonment on charges relating to abuse of power and tax evasion.
3. Danny Willett won 2016 US Masters golf championship
1. Danny Willett on 10 April 2016 won the US Masters, the first Briton to do so since Nick Faldo in 1996. Willett grabbed the title after defeating defending champion Jordan Spieth.
Willett won his first major championship with a score of 283 (–5), three strokes ahead of runners-up Lee Westwood and Jordan Spieth. Spieth led the tournament from the first round until the 12th hole of the final round, where he made a quadruple-bogey.
2. The 2016 Masters Tournament was the 80th edition of the Masters Tournament. It was held from 7 April to 10 April 2016 at Augusta National Golf Club in Augusta, Georgia.
4. Anthony Joshua won International Boxing Federation title
1. Anthony Joshua on 9 April 2016 won the International Boxing Federation heavyweight title. He knocked out Charles Martin in the second round at the O2 Arena in London.
2. Joshua, the 2012 Olympic gold medallist, captured his first world title in only his 16th professional fight.
5. Lee Chong Wei defeated Chen Long to win Malaysian Open 2016
1. Lee Chong Wei on 10 April 2016 won the men's singles title at the Malaysia Open 2016 held at the Malawati Stadium in Shah Alam, Malaysia.
2. The world No. 4 grabbed the title by defeating China’s world No. 1 Chen Long a 21-13, 21-8 in just 42 minutes.
The title is Chong Wei's 11th Malaysia Open crown after having won in 2004, 2005, 2006 and consecutively from 2008-2014.
6. Pakistan successfully test-fires anti-ship Zarb missile
1. Pakistan has test fired anti-ship surface to sea “Zarb” missile from the coastal areas successfully. It hit its target in the Arabian Sea after it was fired from a strategic point located at a coastal area. The missile was formally inducted into Pakistan Navy‘s defence system soon after the test.
7. Ukrainian PM Arseniy Yatsenyuk resigns
1. Ukrainian Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk announced his resignation in the wake of a months-long political crisis. His resignation was approved by the President Petro Poroshenko and has selected Parliament speaker Volodymyr Groysman to assume the Prime Minister post.
2. Mr Yatsenyuk had entered in office since former pro-Russian President Viktor Yanukovych was ousted in February 2014 during the Crimean crisis. His resignation comes after his government was accused of inaction and corruption which had led to the political crisis. His government was also criticised for the slow pace of reforms and the abysmal state of the economy.
8. Pakistan, China launch joint air force training exercise Shaheen 5
1. Pakistan and China have launched a joint bilateral air force exercise named Shaheen (Eagle) 5 in Pakistan. This is the fifth edition of such drill between the two countries that will take place from April 9 to 30, 2016.
2. This edition of exercise seeks to boost bilateral relations between all-weather friends China and Pakistan. For its part Pakistan wants to upgrade its air force, now dependent on a mostly outmoded fleet of US, French and Chinese fighter jets.
9. UN to observe 125th birth anniversary of Ambedkar
1. For the first time, United Nations (UN) will observe the birth anniversary of Dr. B.R. Ambedkar, father of the Indian Constitution on April 13, 2016, a day before his date of birth.
2. The main focus of this observance will be on combating inequalities to achieve Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The 125th birth anniversary Dr. Ambedkar will be commemorated at the UN headquarters in New York by the Permanent Mission of India to the UN, in association with the Kalpana Saroj Foundation and Foundation For Human Horizon.