Daily Current Affairs of 12 April 2016 for all competitive exams. Read Daily Current Affairs play important role in competitive exams.
Current Affairs of 12 April 2016
1. RBI gives nod to Bharti Airtel’s payments Bank Unit
1. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has given its in-principle approval to Bharti Airtel’s payments bank venture — Airtel M Commerce Services Ltd (AMCS). With this AMCS has become the first entity to receive final approval from the RBI to start a payments bank.
2. Airtel M Commerce is a subsidiary of Bharti Airtel, a telecom company. Private sector lender Kotak Mahindra Bank has upto 19.9 per cent stake in Airtel M Commerce. Note: The Payments Banks are not allowed to lend. Hence, a tie-up with banks will help them source loans for their customers.
2. India, Maldives signed six agreements to deepen bilateral cooperation
1. India and Maldives singed six agreements to boost the bilateral relations between the two countries.The agreements were inked in New Delhi during the two-day official visit of Maldivian President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom to India.
2. The signed Agreements/MoUs are
• Agreement for Avoidance of Double Taxation of income - The Agreement seeks to avoid double taxation of income derived from international air transport.
• Agreement for the Exchange of Information with respect to Taxes – It envisages mutual assistance for exchange of information that is relevant to the administration and enforcement of the domestic laws concerning taxes covered by the Agreement.
• Bilateral Agreement related to Orbit Frequency Coordination of "South Asia Satellite” proposed at 48oE – It will be used for the purpose of performing intersystem orbit-frequency coordination for the operation of ‘South Asia Satellite’. It will also be used for fulfilling ITU level regulatory requirements and obtaining international level protection/recognition for the ‘South Asia Satellite’.
• MoU for Cooperation in the area of conservation and restoration of ancient mosques and joint research and exploratory surveys in Maldives - It proposes for development of detailed proposals for such projects by Archaeological Survey of India and Department of Heritage, Maldives.
• MoU on cooperation in the field of Tourism - It envisages cooperation in areas of tourism including expansion of bilateral cooperation and exchange of information and data related to tourism.
• Action Plan for Defence Cooperation – It is an important component of the India-Maldives bilateral relationship and the shared strategic and security interests of the two countries in the Indian Ocean region. It envisages an institutional mechanism at the level of the Defence Secretaries to further bilateral defence cooperation.
3. World Homoeopathy Day observed
1. World Homoeopathy Day was observed on 10 April 2016 and it was organised by India.
2. The day commemorates the birth anniversary of Dr. Samuel Hahnemann, a German Physician.
Hahnemann discovered the principles of Homeopathy two centuries ago and developed it as a gentle healing system of medicine.
4. Ex-Army Chief General JJ Singh conferred highest French civilian honour
1. Former Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General (retd) Joginder Jaswant Singh was conferred the highest French civilian honour, Officier de l Ordre national de la Legion d Honneur (Officer of the Legion of Honour).
2. It is the highest civilian award given by the French Republic for outstanding service to France, regardless of the nationality of the recipients. Singh was conferred the honour by French Ambassador to India Francois Richier.
5. 12 April: International Day of Human Space Flight
1. Every year 12th April is being observed as the International Day of Human Space Flight to commemorate the date of the first human space flight in the history of mankind.
2. On this day in 1961, Yuri Gagarin, a Soviet Union (USSR) cosmonaut undertook first successful first human space flight. This historic event opened the way for space exploration for the benefit of all humanity.
6. Rajinikanth, Sania, Priyanka honoured with Padma awards
1. Superstar Rajinikanth, tennis icon Sania Mirza, former US Ambassador Robert D Blackwill and actor Priyanka Chopra were among the 56 eminent persons who were honoured with Padma awards today.
2. Former DRDO chief V K Aatre, chief editor of Telugu daily Eenadu Ramoji Rao, philanthropist and educationist Indu Jain, chairman of Maruti Suzuki India R C Bhargava, singer Udit Narayan, eminent lawyer Ujjwal Nikam were also honoured with the Padma awards by President Pranab Mukherjee at the Civil Investiture Ceremony held at the Rashtrapati Bhavan.
3. Rajinikanth, Aatre, Rao, renowned vocalist Girija Devi, chairperson of Cancer Institute, Chennai V Shanta were given Padma Vibhushan.
4. Bhargava, Jain, Blackwill, Mirza, Narayan, Manipuri playwright Heisnam Kanhailal, noted Telugu and Hindi litterateur Yarlagadda Lakshmi Prasad, teacher of Vedanta Dayananda Saraswati (posthumous), leading sculptor Ram Vanji Sutar, Indologist N S Ramanuja Tatacharya and International head of Chinmaya Mission Swami Tejomayananda were honoured with Padma Bhushan.
5. Chopra, Nikam, former President of Editors Guild of India Dhirendra Nath Bezboruah, renowned novelist from Karnataka S L Bhyrappa, Puducherry-based social worker Madeleine Herman de Blic, president of Bodo Sahitya Sabha Kameswar Brahma were among the 40 eminent persons who were given the Padma Shri.