Daily Current Affairs of 17 April 2016 for all competitive exams. Read Daily Current Affairs play important role in competitive exams.
1. The Indian Army conducted major battle exercise named as ‘Shatrujeet’ in the Thar Desert of Rajasthan near to the border with Pakistan. The sole purpose of the exercise was to evaluate the capability of the Indian Army and fine tune its proactive war strategy to respond swiftly to any threat to nation’s security.
2. The 2016 Shatrujeet battle exercise was steered by the Mathura based 1 Corps, one of the three principle strike corps of the Indian Army. It aimed to evaluate the capability of the Indian Army to strike deep into enemy territory in an integrated air-land battle environment.
2. Jharkhand Government launches Bhimrao Ambedkar Awas Yojana for widows
1. Jharkhand Government has launched Bhimrao Ambedkar Awas Yojana for widows to create equality and harmony in society, ensuring all round development enshrined in the Constitution. It was launched by Chief Minister Raghubar Das on the occasion of 125th birth anniversary of Dr. B R Ambedkar.
2. The scheme (Yojana) aims at building 11000 units (houses) for widows in 2016-17 financial year with the budgetary allocation of 80 crore rupees. Under it, beneficiaries would get an amount of 75000 rupees to build a house in hilly terrains districts and 70000 rupees in plains area.
3. Supercomputer Param Kanchenjunga unveiled at NIT Sikkim
1. Supercomputer Param Kanchenjunga was unveiled at the National Institute of Technology (NIT) Sikkim. It has been named after Kangchenjunga mountain (8,586 m), the third highest mountain in the world which lies partly in Nepal and partly in Sikkim.
2. It was formally unveiled by Sikkim Governor Shrinvas Patil at the NIT Sikkim campus at Ravangla in South Sikkim District. It is said that it most powerful and fastest supercomputer among all the 31 NITs and Sikkim NIT has secured a rare distinction of having such a supercomputer.
4. Google, RailTel launched free WiFi service at Bhubaneswar Railway station
1. Google in collaboration with RailTel, the telecom arm of the Indian Railways, rolled out free Wi-Fi service at Bhubaneswar railway station .
2. With this, Bhubaneswar railway station became the second station to be covered under the Google-RailTel Wi-Fi project. Free Wi-Fi by Google-RailTel took off at Mumbai Central in January 2016.
3. This facility will enable passengers to stream high definition videos while waiting for their respective trains at the railway station.
4. Besides Bhubaneswar, trials are going on at about 10 more stations which include Jaipur, Patna, Ranchi, Ernakulum, Allahabad, Lucknow and Guwahati. Wi-Fi services will be available on these stations in a short time.