1. Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal launched Phase I of Green Delhi initiative
1. Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal launched the Phase I of Green Delhi initiative by planting trees at the Triangular Park at the ITO Chowk.
2. The launch of the initiative is in tune with the Detailed Action Plan (DAP) that was submitted by the Delhi Government to the Supreme Court in December 2015.
3. The DAP deals with the steps being taken to improve air quality and reduce air pollution in the National Capital.
Features of Green Delhi initiative
• Vaccum cleaning of all Public Works Department (PWD) roads will be started at regular intervals starting from 1 April 2016.
• To avoid dust rising from unpaved footpaths and central verges, the central verges of the 1260 kilometres of road maintained by the PWD will be bedded with grass and greenery. This initiative will include kutcha portion under flyovers.
2. India, US ink MoU for setting up LIGO observatory in India
1. India has signed a memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the United States for setting up Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory (LIGO) in India. LIGO is a large-scale physics experiment and observatory to detect gravitational waves. The MoU was signed in the presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the sidelines of the Nuclear Security Summit in Washington.
2. The agreement was signed between the US’s National Science Foundation (NSF) and India’s Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) and Department of Science and Technology (DST). As part of the agreement, the scientists of DAE, DST and NSF will form a Joint Oversight Group (JOG) for better coordination of the project.
3. 4th Nuclear Security Summit begins in Washington
1. The fourth edition of Nuclear Security Summit (NSS) began in Washington, United States to discuss a gamut of issues pertaining to nuclear security.
2. In this edition of summit, heads of about 53 countries and representatives of five international organisations including the UNO, International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), European Union (EU), Interpol are taking part. India is being represented by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in the two-day summit. The fourth summit is the last summit under the current format and also under the presidency of Barack Obama.
4. Vietnam’s Parliament elects Nguyen Thi Kim Ngan as first female speaker
1. Vietnam’s National Assembly (NA) has elected Nguyen Thi Kim Ngan as the country`s first female house speaker She was sworn in as speaker after getting elected for the post with 472 (95.5%) yes votes in her favour out of 481 valid ballots at the ongoing 11th session of the 13th NA.
2. She was also elected as the Chairperson of the National Election Council of the Vietnam with 467 yes votes in her favour out of 477 valid ballots
5. Union Government launches Startup India portal and mobile app
1. The Union Government has launched the Startup India portal (http://startupindia.gov.in) and mobile application. It was launched by the Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion (DIPP) Ramesh Abhishek in New Delhi as an integral component of the Action Plan of the Startup India.
2. The portal and mobile app provide up-to- date information issued by various Government ministries/ departments. They will also provide information regarding incubators and funding agencies recognized for the purpose of recommending Startups.
6. Renowned Iraqi-British Architect Zaha Hadid passes away
1. Renowned Iraqi-born British architect Zaha Hadid passed away due to heart attack. She was 65. She was world’s most famous female architect and was known for her neofuturistic design which was her signature architectural style. She was the first female winner of the top Pritzker Architecture Prize (2004), also known as the Nobel for architecture.
7. Kachhabali becomes first liquor-free village in Rajasthan
1. Kachhabali village in Bhim tehsil of Rajsamand district has become the first in Rajasthan to liquor-free village. The village achieved this feat after villagers voted to close down its lone liquor shop to stop alcohol sale in village in the referendum by 67.11%. 2. The referendum was conducted by the excise department of the state. It is for the first time the provision of the Rajasthan Excise Act, 1975, that provides for the closure of a country liquor shop, was invoked.
8. HPCL appoints M K Surana as CMD
1. K Surana has taken over as Chairman and Managing Director, Hindustan Petroleum Corporation after Nishi Vasudeva, former CMD, retired.
2. A mechanical engineer with a master’s degree in financial management, Surana was CEO, Prize Petroleum Company Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary and upstream arm of HPCL since September 2012, before being appointed by the government to top job at HPCL.