1. RBL becomes first private sector bank to open dedicated branch for startups
1. The RBL Bank (formerly Ratnakar Bank) became the first private sector bank in India to open dedicated branch for startups. The dedicated branch was inaugurated at Koramangala, Bengaluru by Nandan Nilekani, noted entrepreneur and former chairman of UIDAI.
2. The first exclusive bank branch for start-ups will offer a bouquet of banking products to service the end-to-end needs of the emerging entrepreneurial eco-system. The branch will assist entrepreneurs in setting up new enterprises or companies.
2. Beti Bachao Beti Padho Scheme extended to 61 more districts with low Child Sex Ratio
1. Union Government on 19 April 2016 extended the Beti Bachao Beti Padho (BBBP) Scheme in additional 61 districts across 11 States and Union Territories. The scheme was extended in the districts with low Child Sex Ratio.
2. Women and Child Development Minister Maneka Gandhi who extended the scheme into 61 more districts informed that out of hundred, 49 districts are doing extremely well. She said, the child sex ratio of the other districts remain stable.
3. India ranked 133rd in 2016 World Press Freedom Index
1. India with a score of 43.17 was ranked 133 out of 180 countries in the 2016 World Press Freedom Index that was released on 20 April 2016. The Index was published by Reporters Without Borders (RSF).
2. In 2015 Index, India with a score of 40.49 was ranked 136 out of 180 countries. As a result in 2016 Index, India slipped by 3 ranks.
3. The index has been topped by Finland followed by the Netherlands, Norway, Denmark and New Zealand at second, third, fourth and fifth position respectively.
4. At the bottom of the index lies Eritrea at 180th rank. It is preceded by North Korea, Turkmenistan, Syria and China at 179th, 178th, 177th and 176th position respectively.
4. Chinese professor Ge Fuping honoured with George Grierson prize for promoting Hindi
1. President Pranab Mukherjee on 19 April 2016 honoured the Chinese professor Ge Fuping with the George Grierson prize for his remarkable works done for the propagation of Hindi abroad.
2. Ge has made commendable efforts for the promotion of Hindi language abroad. Besides him, Alka Dunputh (from Mauritius) and Shichiro Soma (from Japan) were also given the George Grierson award by the President.
3. These awards were instituted by Central Hindi Institute, Agra in 1989. 14 scholars receive this award in seven different categories every year for their contribution in the field of Hindi language and literature.
5. Indian-American Geeta Pasi nominated as US envoy to Chad
1. United States (US) President Barack Obama has nominated Indian-American Geeta Pasi as the country’s next envoy to central African nation Chad. Ms. Pasi is a career member of the US Foreign Service, Class of Minister-Counsellor.
2. She had served as the United States Ambassador to Djibouti from 2011 to 2014. At present, she is the Director of the Office of Career Development and Assignments in the Bureau of Human Resources at the Department of State.
3. She had joined the US Foreign Service in 1988. Since the she had served at posts in Cameroon, Ghana, India and Romania.
6. India’s Durga Thakur Promoted as International Hockey Umpire
1. India’s Durga Thakur has been promoted to international outdoor umpire by the International Hockey Federation (FIH). She was promoted following her good performance at the recently-held Hawke’s Bay Cup in Hastings, New Zealand.