Daily Current Affairs of 22 April 2016 for all competitive exams. Read Daily Current Affairs play important role in competitive exams.
1. Idriss Deby elected as Chadian President for the fifth time
1. Idriss Deby was elected as the President of Chad. With this, Deby became the incumbent President with fifth term in office in a lopsided first-round victory.
2. In the 2016 election, Idriss Deby of Patriotic Salvation Movement (MPS) party secured the 61.56 percent of the vote in the first-round runoff.
2. Anti-slavery activist Harriet Tubman to become first African-American to appear on US paper currency
1. The U.S. Treasury Department announced that the image of an American abolitionist and anti-slavery activist Harriet Tubman will appear on a new series of US $20 bills.
2. With this, Tubman will become the first African-American and the first woman in more than a century to appear on U.S. paper currency.
3. Tubman will replace Andrew Jackson, the seventh President of the United States, to appear as the portrait gracing the US $20 bill.
3. China, Pakistan ink agreement to launch satellite to monitor CPEC projects
1. China and Pakistan have signed an agreement for the launch of a special satellite to monitor the development of the multi-billion dollars China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) projects.
2. In this regard, both countries have decided for development and launch of the Pakistan Remote Sensing Satellite (PRSS-1) System and launch a satellite in June 2018.
4. SC stays Uttarakhand HC’s order revoking President’s rule in Uttarakhand
1. The Supreme Court has stayed the judgement of the Uttarakhand High Court quashing the imposition of President’s rule imposed under Article 356 in the Constitution till April 27, 2016.
2. With this President rule has been again restored in Uttarakhand as the High Court judgement will be kept in abeyance till the next date of hearing of SC. The apex court stay order came after the Union Government had moved the Court against the Uttarakhand High Court verdict quashing President’s rule in the state.
5. 22 April: Earth Day
1. Every year Earth Day is being observed on the 22nd April to build support for environmental protection around the world. This year is 46th anniversary of Earth Day.
2. It recognises that Earth and its ecosystems provide its inhabitants with life and sustenance. It also aims to raise awareness that humans have a collective responsibility to promote harmony with nature and to balance the economic, social and environmental needs of present and future generations.
3. Theme: ‘Trees for the Earth!’. The theme signifies that trees are crucial for combating climate change as they absorb harmful levels of Carbon dioxide (CO2) from the atmosphere.
6. Hollywood movie director Guy Hamilton died
1. Veteran Movie director Guy Hamilton, who directed four hugely popular James Bond films, passed away in a hospital on the Spanish island of Mallorca. He was 93.
2. He was popularly known for raising the profile of the Bond movie brand through his work with actors Sean Connery and Roger Moore.
7. Comedian Victoria Wood passed away
1. Famous comedian, singer and writer Victoria Wood died on 20 April 2016 due to cancer. She was 62.
2. Born on 19 May 1953, Wood was an English comedian, actress, singer and songwriter, screenwriter and director. She wrote and starred in sketches, plays, films and sitcoms, and her live comedy act was interspersed with her own compositions, which she performed on piano.
8. Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry launched Twitter Seva
1. The Commerce and Industry Ministry launched a service named Twitter Seva to address issues and grievances of startups, exporters and importers, and other stakeholders.
2. For this, an institutionalised mechanism with a special Twitter cell has been created in the ministry manned by a set of dedicated officers of the ministry.
Key highlights of Twitter Seva
• Queries on matters relating to Department of Commerce and Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) will be answered through this service.
• The ministry will try to respond to the queries within 48 to 72 working hours.
• In particular, queries regarding the Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT), Directorate General of supplies and Disposals, SEZs, tea, coffee, rubber, spices, Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) will be addressed by the ministry.
9. India replaces China as top FDI destination in 2015: FDI Intelligence Report
1. According to FDI Intelligence Report India has replaced China as the top Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) destination by attracting $63 billion worth FDI projects in 2015. FDI Intelligence is a division of international media company – The Financial Times Limited.
2. India was the highest-ranked country by capital investment in the year 2015, with 63 billion dollars-worth of FDI projects announced. It was the biggest change in Greenfield FDI in 2015 was near tripling with an estimated 63 billion dollars.
3. Top destination states for FDI in 2015 in India: Gujarat was on top which had attracted $12.4 billion. Maharashtra was second attracting $8.3 billion respectively in 2015.
10. Union Government renames Department of Disinvestment as DIPAM
1. Union Government has renamed as Department of Investment and Public Asset Management (DIPAM). In this regard, the Union Finance Ministry has issued notification. The renaming decision aims at proper management of Central government’s investments in equity and also its disinvestment proceeds in central public sector undertakings (PSUs).
2. DIPAM will work under Union Finance Ministry. It has been mandated to advise the Union Government in the matters of financial restructuring of PSUs and also for attracting investment through capital markets.