1. India, France launch $1 Trillion Potential Solar Programme under ISA
1. India and France have launched a programme with $1 trillion Potential Solar Programme under the International Solar Alliance (ISA). It is a solar finance programme that aims at helping developing countries to fully harness their solar resources for a clean energy future.
2. It was announced by Minister of State for Power Piyush Goyal and French Environment Minister Segolene Royal at the ministerial side event on ISA at the United Nations. The solar finance programme aims at lowering the cost of finance and facilitates the flow of more than 1 trillion dollars investment to members of the ISA.
2. India’s first online interactive heritage portal Sahapedia launched
1. The Union Government has launched India’s first online interactive heritage portal named Sahapedia was in New Delhi. The web portal is a collaborative knowledge resource on the arts, culture and heritage of India.
2. Sahapedia is a not-for-profit society headed by former TCS chairman S. Ramadorai, who currently helms the National Skill Development Agency. The purpose of this portal is to inform, educate and act on subjects such as knowledge traditions, visual and material arts, performing arts, literature and languages.
3. Japan successfully tested its first stealth fighter X-2 jet
1. Japan on 22 April 2016 successfully tested the first stealth fighter jet. With this, the country joins a select group of world military powers wielding the radar-dodging technology.
2. The domestically developed single-pilot prototype X-2 jet took off from Nagoya airport in central Japan on its maiden test flight. It safely landed at Gifu air base, north of Nagoya airport, after a 25-minute flight with no particular problems.
4. Radhika Apte won best actress award for 'Madly' at Tribeca Film Fest 2016
Bollywood actress Radhika Apte bagged the best actress in an international narrative feature honour at Tribeca Film Festival 2016 for her performance in anthology film Madly.
Radhika starred in Clean Shaven, which is a segment of Madly.
List of other Tribeca Film Festival 2016 Award Winners
U.S. Narrative Feature Competition Categories:
The Founders Award for Best Narrative Feature – Dean, written and directed by Demteri Martin.
Best Actor in a U.S. Narrative Feature Film –Dominic Rains in The Fixer.
Best Actress in a U.S. Narrative Feature Film – Mackenzie Davis in Always Shine.
Best Cinematography in a U.S. Narrative Feature Film – Cinematography by Michael Ragen for Kicks.
Best Screenplay in a U.S. Narrative Feature Film – Women Who Kill written by Ingrid Jungermann.
5. Union Government constituted panel to double farmers’ income by 2022
1. Union government constituted the inter-ministerial panel to prepare a blueprint for doubling farmers' income by 2022.
2. The government's decision to set up the panel follows the budget announcement that set a target of doubling farm incomes by 2022.
3. The panel will be headed by Ashok Dalwai, Additional Secretary at the Union Agriculture Ministry. The other members will be officials from Agriculture and Food Ministries as well as experts from the Delhi-based National Council of Applied Economic Research and National Institute of Agricultural Economics and Policy Research.
6. Union Government notifies new rules to revamp SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act
1. The Union Social Justice and Empowerment Ministry has notified new rules to give effect amended Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989. The new rules seek to tighten provisions to ensure speedy justice to members of the SC/ST community.
2. The new rules aims at speeding up the process of dispensation of justice, liberalise and expedite access to relief for victims of atrocities, ensuring special sensitivity in cases of offences against women. It has been made mandatory for cops to file chargesheet within 60 days after a complaint is lodged.
7. 23 April: World Book and Copyright Day
1. Every year World Book and Copyright Day is being observed on 23 April to promote reading, publishing and copyright. The day seeks to encourage everyone and in particular young people, to discover the pleasure of reading.
2. It also wants them to gain a renewed respect for the irreplaceable contributions of those, who have furthered the social and cultural progress of humanity.
8. Salman Khan named as Indian contingent’s Goodwill Ambassador for 2016 Rio Olympics
1. Bollywood actor Salman Khan was named as the goodwill ambassador of the Indian contingent for the upcoming Olympics to be held in August 2016 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. This is the first time when a Bollywood superstar has been chosen as a goodwill ambassador for the Indian contingent at the Olympics.
2. He was chosen by the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) from a list of two to three candidates which also included Shah Rukh Khan and veteran actor Amitabh Bachchan. IOA has chosen Salman Khan as he is considered to be more connected with the youth and sportspersons and also is considered as a youth icon for bodybuilding fans across the country.