1. Jailed Egyptian Novelist Ahmed Naji to receive PEN/Barbey Freedom to Write Award
1. PEN America announced that it will confer the PEN/Barbey Freedom to Write Award upon imprisoned Egyptian novelist and journalist Ahmed Naji.
2. The award will be presented to Naji at Pen America's annual Literary Gala on 16 May 2016 at the American Museum of Natural History in New York.
3. PEN America’s 16 May 2016 Literary Gala will also salute Harry Potter creator J.K. Rowling with the 2016 PEN/Allen Foundation Literary Service Award for engendering a love of literature among children worldwide.
2. World Autism Awareness Day 2016 celebrated across the world
1. The World Autism Awareness Day 2016 was celebrated across the world on 2 April 2016. The 2016 theme for the day is Autism and the 2030 Agenda: Inclusion and Neurodiversity.
2. World Autism Awareness Day is an internationally recognised day, encouraging Member States of the United Nations to take measures to raise awareness about children with autism throughout the world.
3. Renowned journalist Babu Bharadwaj died
1. Veteran journalist and writer Babu Bharadwaj died of cardiac arrest in Kozhikode. He was 68.
Bharadwaj had been a part of prominent print and television media in Kerala. Kalapangalkkoru Grihapadam, a novel penned by him, won the Kerala Sahitya Akademi award in 2006.
2. Bharadwaj's other famous works include Pravasiyude Kurippukal, Shavaghoshayathra (novelettes), Puppet Theatre (short story collection), Pravasiyude Vazhiyambalangal and Adrushya Nagarangal.
4. Shiva Thapa wins Silver medal at Asian/Oceania Qualifying event in China
1. Ace Indian boxer Shiva Thapa has won the silver medal at the Asian/Oceania Qualifying Tournament held in Qian’an, China in the 56 Kilogram category final In the final match, he lost to Thailand’s Chatchai Butdee by 0-3 score who won the gold medal. By entering in the final match of this event, he had booked his ticket to 2015 Rio de Janeiro Olympics Games after beating Kazakhstan’s Kairat Yeraliyev in the semifinals.
2. Shiva is a World Championship bronze-medallist in the Bantamweight category held in Doha in 2015. He also had participated in the 2012 London Olympics and was the youngest Indian boxer to qualify for the Olympics.
5. SBI makes it easy with ‘State Bank of India NO Queue’ app
1. The country’s largest lender, SBI, has launched a virtual queuing mobile application that will help customers save on time.
2. State Bank of India launched ‘State Bank of India NO Queue’ mobile application to save the valuable time of its esteemed customers for availing of banking services.The application is a mobile-based virtual queuing application for customers to book an instant queue ticket for select services at select branches. Based on the services selected, the list of branches with addresses providing those services within a configured radius of 15 kms will be populated in the application..
3. The application, which can be downloaded from Google Play and Apple app stores, was launched by SBI Chairman Arundhati Bhattacharya in Mumbai.By this app, customers can view details such as expected waiting time at a given branch, the number of customers waiting and distance to the branch from the point of booking