1. US Navy tested world's largest unmanned surface vessel, Sea Hunter
1. United States of America (US) Navy tested the world's largest unmanned surface vessel named Sea Hunter in San Diego.
2. It is a self-driving 132-foot ship able to travel up to 10000 nautical miles on its own to hunt for stealthy submarines and underwater mines.
2. BHEL commissioned 600 MW thermal power plant in Madhya Pradesh
1. Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) commissioned 600 mega watts (MW) coal-based thermal power plant in Madhya Pradesh.
2. The unit was commissioned at the 1x600 MW Jhabua Thermal Power Project (TPP) located in Seoni district in Madhya Pradesh.
A subsidiary of Avantha Power & Infrastructure Limited (APIL), Jhabua Power Ltd (JPL) has developed the project. This is the second project of APIL commissioned by BHEL. Earlier, 1×600 MW Avantha Bhandar TPP at Raigarh in Chhattisgarh was commissioned.
3. Apart from the newly commissioned project, Madhya Pradesh has two supercritical units of 800 MW for NTPC at Gadarwara which are being executed by BHEL.
3. Australian entrepreneur Craig Wright claims to be Bitcoin creator
1. Australian entrepreneur and computer scientist Craig Wright has publicly identified himself as creator of virtual currency Bitcoin.
2. He claimed that he is the real person behind the pseudonym Satoshi Nakamoto, the creator of Bitcoin which was launched in 2009. Satoshi Nakamoto’s online cash system work in 2009 was the key for creation of the online cash system, but he remained anonymous and his work has since stopped. Craig Wright revealed his identity in order to stop the spread of misinformation about the virtual currency.
3. He even sustained his claim by signing digital messages using cryptographic keys used during the early days of Bitcoin.
4. Mexican diplomat Patricia Espinosa selected as executive secretary of UNFCCC
1. UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has selected Mexican diplomat Patricia Espinosa as the executive secretary of the UNFCCC (United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change). She will replace the incumbent Christiana Figueres when her term ends in July 2016.
2. Prior to this selection she was serving as Mexico’s ambassador to Germany Earlier she had served as Mexico’s representative at the UN in New York for drug traffic, human rights, women promotion, social development and children’s rights. In her new role, she will play an important role in implementing the Paris Agreement on Climate Change that was approved by 195 countries in December 2015 during UNFCCC’s COP 21 held in Paris, France.
5. Mark Selby wins 2016 World Championship title of Snooker
1. Ace snooker player Mark Selby (World no 1) from England has won the 2016 World Championship title of Snooker. In the final match played in Sheffield, Selby defeated China’s Ding Junhui by 18-14 score.
2. This was Selby’s second World Snooker title after he had won it in 2014 for the first against Ronnie O’Sullivan. This was Selby’s second title of the year 2016 after he had won minor Gdynia Open event held in Poland.
6. 2,508 cities selected under PM’s scheme for affordable housing
1. As many as 2,508 cities in 26 States have been selected under ‘Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana’ for providing affordable houses to the urban poor.
2. As on April 25, 2016, a total of 2,508 cities of 26 States have been identified as selected for Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana—Housing for all (Urban) Mission.