1. Enda Kenny re-elected as Prime Minister of Ireland
1. Taoiseach Enda Kenny was re-elected as Prime Minister of Ireland on 6 May 2016. Kenny, leader of Fine Gael party, was elected for the post 70 days after a general election which had produced no outright winner.
2. He was re-appointed with 59 votes in favour and 49 votes against.His Gael party won the most seats in the election but fell short of the quota needed to rule without support. This means that Kenny will lead a minority Fine Gael government.
2. Shashi Kapoor’s Biography ‘Shashi Kapoor – the Householder, the Star’ released
1. Veteran actor Shashi Kapoor’s autobiography titled ‘Shashi Kapoor – the Householder, the Star’ was released recently. The biography has been authored by film journalist Aseem Chhabra and with forword by Karan Johar. It unveils the chapters of actor’s personal and professional life.
2. Born as Balbir Raj Prithviraj Kapoor on March 18, 1938 in Kolkata, West Bengal. Started acting in films as a child in late 1940s. Since then he has appeared in 160 movies altogether, 12 being in English and the rest in Hindi. His Bollywood debut as a lead actor was in the film Dharmputra (1961). His best known performances as child artist were in Aag (1948), Awaara (1951) and Sangram (1950).
3. PCB appoints Mickey Arthur as Pakistan's head coach
1. The Pakistan Cricket Board on 6 May 2016 appointed Mickey Arthur as head coach of Pakistan Cricket Team.
2. He succeeded Waqar Younis, who resigned after Pakistan's early exit from the World T20 tournament.Before this appointment, Arthur coached South Africa from 2005 to 2010, and Australia from 2011 to 2013.
3. He was recommended by a panel comprising Wasim Akram, Ramiz Raja, and Faisal Mirza, which was appointed by PCB to help in search of head coach.
4. SpaceX successfully launches Japanese JCSAT-14 Satellite
1. US based private space transport service company, SpaceX has successfully launched Japanese JCSAT-14 communication satellite into the space.
2. The satellite was place into its intended preliminary geostationary transfer orbit by SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket which was launched from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida, US. After meeting its primary goal of the mission, the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket successfully landed on an ocean (floating) platform, known as a drone ship, off the coast of Florida. This is for the second time in row the reusable main stage booster of Falcon 9 rocket successfully landed on offshore floating platform after the April 8, 2016 landing.
5. Pakistan won 2016 Asia Kabaddi Championship Cup
1. Defending Champion Pakistan on 6 May 2016 won the Asian Kabaddi Championship 2016 (Circle Style) that held at Wah Cantonment in Pakistan. It defeated India by 19 points.
Pakistan achieved 50 points against 31 by India in the final of the tournament. It is second successive win for Pakistan in the Asian Kabaddi title as they won it in 2012.
2. This is the third edition of the Asian Kabaddi Championship (Circle Style) held in Pakistan. The second edition was also held in the same country.
6. Union government approves proposal of Infosys to set up IT SEZ
1. Union inter-ministerial Board of Approval (BoA) approved the proposal of Infosys to set up an IT/ITeS special economic zone (SEZ) in Bengaluru in an area spread over 4 hectares.
2. Highlights of the decisions of the BoA
• The Board decided to grant formal approval to the proposal as the Infosys possesses the land by itself. It also extended the time limit to nearly around 20 developers to complete their projects.
• The developers who got the time extension include Mayar Infrastructure Development for a biotechnology SEZ in Haryana, Wipro for IT SEZ in Karnataka and Vedanta for its sector-specific SEZ for manufacturing and exports of aluminium in Odisha.
7. ICICI Bank signs MoU with BRICS’s New Development Bank
1. India’s largest private sector lender ICICI Bank has inked a MoU with the BRICS Grouping-promoted New Development Bank (NDB) for a partnership in bond issuances, co-financing, treasury management and human resources.
2. With this ICICI Bank becomes first financial institution in the country to tie up with the BRICS Grouping-promoted NDB. The MoU was signed by BDB’s first President and ICICI Bank veteran KV Kamath and ICICI Bank Chief Chanda Kochhar in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
3. The MoU will help NDB in exploring rupee-denominated bonds in the domestic and international markets. It will make both the lenders collaborate to fund development projects in India. They will also leverage a mutually beneficial partnership in other areas such as treasury risk management, human resource development and account and cash management services.