Dear Readers, we are providing Today's important current affairs of Competitive Exams specially for Bank and SSC.
Daily Current Affairs- 10th May 2016
1. Shashank Manohar resigns as BCCI president
1. Shashank Vyankatesh Manohar resigned as the President of Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).
He also stepped down as the BCCI representative in the International Cricket Council (ICC) and the Asian Cricket Council (ACC).
2. He had succeeded Jagmohan Dalmiya as the cricket body’s president after the former’s demise in October 2015.
2. Rodrigo "Digong" Duterte wins the Philippines Presidential Election
1. Anti-crime candidate and mayor of Davao Rodrigo “Digong” Duterte won the presidential election of the Philippines held on 9 May 2016.
2. With 91.53 percent of votes counted so far, he is set for a landslide victory with 15.36 million votes. He is followed by President Benigno Aquino’s choice Mar Roxas with 9.27 million votes and his closest rival Grace Poe with 8.6 million votes.
3. Senior advocate Atma Ram Nadkarni appointed Additional Solicitor General
1. Senior advocate of Bombay High Court Atma Ram Nadkarni was appointed as Additional Solicitor General (ASG).
2. The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) approved the appointment of Nadkarni as Additional Solicitor General in Supreme Court for a period of three years.
4. Google launches Free Public Wi-Fi Service at 5 Railway Stations as part of Railwire
1. Google announced the launch of its free high-speed public WiFi service at railway stations of Ujjain, Jaipur, Patna, Guwahati, and Allahabad.
2. Google has deployed service over RailWire which is an extensive fibre network of Indian Railway's arm Railtel that provides Internet services.
3. With this, the free Wi-Fi service is now available to users at 15 stations across the country.Google had a phenomenal response to the service Mumbai Central and hence it is extending the project to cover key suburban Mumbai stations working with RailTel.
5. Michel Platini resigns as UEFA President after ban appeal fails
1. Michel Platini on 9 May 2016 resigned as Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) president after Court of Arbitration of Sports (CAS) upheld the ban imposed by FIFA.
2. The CAS rejected the appeal saying it was not convinced about the legitimacy of the payment ordered by ex-FIFA president Sepp Blatter.However, CAS effectively reduced the ban on him from six years to four and reduced the fine from 80000 Swiss francs to 60000 Swiss francs.6. 10 May 2016: World Migratory Bird Day
1. World Migratory Bird Day (WMBD) is being observed across the world on the second weekend in May. This year, WMBD is being observed on 10th May. The day seeks to raise awareness and highlight the need for the protection of migratory birds and their habitats.
2. 2016 Theme: “Stop the Illegal Killing, Taking and Trade of Migratory Birds”.
7. Scientist develops World’s first holographic flexible phone
Scientists from the Queen’s University (Canada) have developed the world’s first holographic flexible smartphone named HoloFlex. The HoloFlex smartphone lets users to interact with 3D (Three dimensional) videos and images without using any headgear or glasses.
8. 4th SAIEVAC Ministerial Meeting begins in New Delhi
1. The fourth edition South Asia Initiative to End Violence Against Children (SAIEVAC) Ministerial Meeting has begun in New Delhi. The 3 day landmark meeting (from 9 to 11 May 2016) is being hosted by the Union Ministry of Child and Women Development.
2. The meeting will assess progress and developments of the past decade of regional effort of SAIEVAC and identify priorities for SAIEVAC for the next five years. Delegates from the governments and civil society organizations of India, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Bhutan, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka are participating in it.
9. UK’s first baby born using Next-Generation DNA sequencing method
1. United Kingdom’s first baby named Biagio Russo was born in Oxford using Next-generation DNA sequencing (NGS) method. This method uses a revolutionary In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) technique resulting in better selection of embryos to transfer during the treatment.
2. NGS also known as high-throughput sequencing is bio medical process that allows doctors to easily choose the embryos which have the strongest chance of growing into healthy babies. This method helps doctors to move away from traditional manually count and identify problems caused by embryos produced in IVF having the wrong number of chromosomes.
10. Indian Army conducts ‘Chakravyuh-II’ training exercise in Rajasthan
1. Indian Army had conducted major military training exercise ‘2016 Chakravyuh-II’ in Suratgarh, Rajasthan.
2. Validate battle readiness and operational effectiveness of the Pivot Formation and Rapid Division of Indian Army along with all its affiliated components.
3. The Chakravyuh-II exercise involved rapid mobilisation and execution of battle plans in conjunction with the Indian Air Force (IAF). It envisaged mechanised manoeuvres in the entire spectra of new generation weapons, systems and platforms in the rapid urbanisation and development areas along the border.
11. Rural Sanitation Initiatives for Ganga Rejuvenation launched in Jharkhand
1. The Union Government has launched nine projects initiatives for rural sanitation initiatives for conservation of river Ganga in Jharkhand. It was launched by Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Uma Bharti under Namami Gange Programme in Sahibganj, Jharkhand.
2. Under this programme, villages located on the entire 83 Km. stretch of Ganga River in Jharkhand will be covered to improve the health and quality of life. It will be carried out under the overall guidance of the Ministry with the support from UN Development Programme (UNDP), community organizations and NGOs.
12. Mrugank Paranjape took charge as MD and CEO of Multi Commodity Exchange
1. Mrugank Paranjape took charge as managing director (MD) and chief executive officer (CEO) of Multi Commodity Exchange (MCX), country’s largest commodity exchange. He will have tenure of 3 years. His appointment fills the vacancy of the post which was vacant for past two years.
2. Prior to this, Mrugank Paranjape was working with Deutsche Bank for 14 years as Asia Pacific Head of Trust & Securities Services/Cash Management for Financial Institutions.
13. Novak Djokovic wins 2016 Mutua Madrid Open
1. Serbian Tennis player Novac Djokovic (World no. 1) won the 2016 Mutua Madrid Open title in the men’s single category. In the final match played in Madrid, Spain he defeated Andy Murray from Great Britain by 6-2, 3-6, 6-3 score. With his win, Djokovic has moved ahead of Spain’s Rafael Nadal with a record 29 ATP Masters 1000 titles. It was also Djokovic’s fifth win in the last 6 ATP 1000 competitions