Dear Readers, we are providing Today's important current affairs of Competitive Exams specially for Bank and SSC.
1. Nokia, HMD signs 10-year licensing deal to market Nokia-branded phones and tablets
1. Finland-based companies Nokia Technologies and HMD global Oy (HMD) signed a 10-year licensing agreement to market Nokia-branded phones and tablets.
2. As part of this brand-licensing deal, Nokia will receive royalty payments from HMD for sales of Nokia-branded mobile products, covering both brand and intellectual property rights.
3. In 2014, Nokia sold its entire handset business to Microsoft under a 7.2 billion US dollars deal. While the deal majorly covered manufacturing, sales and distribution, Nokia held on to its phone patents.
2. Ola signs MoU with Union Government to benefit Safai Karamcharis
1. Mobile app for transportation Ola on 18 May 2016 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with National Safai Karamcharis Finance and Development Corporation (NSKFDC) of the Union Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment to benefit Safai Karamcharis.
2. Highlights of the MoU
• The MoU aims to focus on building a sustainable framework by supporting entrepreneurship, skill development training and self-defence courses for Safai Karamcharis and Scavengers.
• The Ola-NSKFDC partnership will generate synergies that will result in a better future for driver entrepreneurs by creating sustainable careers and livelihoods for them.
• Ola will help create opportunities for these trained drivers by giving them access to infrastructure, financing and continuous revenue.
3. AIADMK set to retain power in Tamil Nadu
1. AIADMK today clearly headed to retain power in Tamil Nadu by winning 21 seats and leading in 110 other constituencies as arch rival DMK gave a strong fight bagging 19 and leading in 71 segments.
2. Of the 232 seats that went for voting on May 16, results were declared for 41 seats as the counting of votes were taken up today. Congress won one seat and is leading in seven.
3. Chief Minister Jayalalithaa, set to create history by becoming the first ever leader to retain power in the state since 1989, is leading by over 15,000 votes in Dr RK Nagar constituency in the city.
4. Her arch-rival and DMK President M Karunanidhi retained his Tiruvarur constituency by a huge margin of more than 65,000 votes.
4. Rakesh Kumar Mishra appointed as CCMB director
1. Rakesh Kumar Mishra, a noted expert in the study of function of genes, has been appointed as the new Director of the Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB) by the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR).
2. Mishra had joined CCMB in 2001 as a senior scientist after stints at the IISc, Bangalore, the University of Bordeaux, France, Saint Louise University, USA and the University of Geneva, Switzerland for post-doctoral experience.
5. Turkey names new Prime Minister
1. Turkey's ruling party named a loyal ally of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan as the new prime minister today, as the strongman seeks to tighten his grip on power.
2. The ruling Justice and Development Party ( AKP) appointed Transport Minister Binali Yildirim as its chairman, meaning he will automatically become prime minister.
3. Yildirim is poised to replace Ahmet Davutoglu, who stepped down after a power struggle with Erdogan