Dear Readers, we are providing Today's important current affairs of Competitive Exams specially for Bank and SSC.
1. Tsai Ing-wen sworn-in as first women President of Taiwan
Tsai Ing-wen was sworn-in as the President of Taiwan on 20 May 2016. With this, she became the first woman to hold the post in Taiwan.
Before being presented the official seal, 59-year-old, Tsai swore the presidential oath in front of national flag. She succeeded outgoing President Ma Ying-jeou.
Tsai has said she will preserve the status quo in relations with China, but that Beijing must respect Taiwan's democracy.
2. JP Nadda launches Centre for Environmental Health to assess environmental impact on health
1. The Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare J P Nadda launched the Centre for Environmental Health in New Delhi.
2. The centre was launched to assess the impact of environment-related problems like air pollution, climate change, pesticide use and sanitation on health.
3. Key highlights related to Centre for Environmental Health
• It is a joint initiative of the Public Health Foundation of India and the Tata Institute of Social Science.
• The centre will conduct research across a range of environmental health issues, including chemical exposure, water and hygiene.
• Its mandate also includes capacity-building, advocacy, outreach and remedial issues.
3. India, Slovenia amend DTAA to bring information exchange under ambit
1. India and Slovenia have signed a protocol to amend the bilateral Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA). The protocol was signed by Ambassador of India to Slovenia Sarvajit Chakravarti and the Slovenian Minister of Finance Dusan Mramor in Ljubljana.
2. The amendment protocol seeks to broaden the pact to include exchange of information to curb tax evasion. The protocol will broaden the scope of the existing framework of exchange of tax-related information.
4. President inaugurates Intelligent Operations Centre in Rashtrapati Bhavan
1. President Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated an Intelligent Operations Centre (IOC) in Rashtrapati Bhavan. He also launched a mobile application ‘Monitor’ for transformation of President’s Estate into a smart township. During the launching ceremony President announced that President’s Estate will work around the ‘4H’ theme of a humane, Hi-Tech, Heritage and Happy Township.
2. It is a software solution to provide intelligent insights by collecting the rich data streaming in from several sources within the Estate. It is designed by IBM. It offers near real-time collaboration, integrated data visualization and deep analytics that will help agencies to prepare for problems, enhance efficiency of services and also coordinate and manage response efforts.
5. Indian-American Rupa Iyer awarded highest teaching award in US
1. An Indian-American biotechnologist Rupa Iyer has been awarded Distinguished Leadership in Teaching Excellence Award, University of Houston’s highest teaching award. She was bestowed with this award for her sustained and significant contributions in the field of education.
2. Presently, she is Associate Dean, Research and Graduate Studies at the University of Houston’s College of Technology.
6. Assam Assembly Election 2016 Results
1. Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) and its alliance partners have won an absolute majority in 2016 Assam state assembly election by winning 87 seats (16.46% votes) in the 126 member House. BJP alone has won 60 seats (29.5% votes) on its own, thus making history by winning an Assam assembly election for the first time. 2. BJP’s ally Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) has won 14 seats (8.1% votes) while another ally Bodoland People’s Front (BPF) has bagged 13 seats (3.9% votes).
7. Kerala Assembly Election 2016 Results
1. The coalition of Left Democratic Front (LDF) has won the 2016 Kerala Assembly Election by the absolute majority by winning 91 seats (44.94% votes) of the total 140 seats.
2. Among the LDF, Communist Party of India (Marxist) by winning 58 seats has emerged single largest party. Other LDF allies have won Communist Party of India: 19 seats. Janata Dal (Secular): 3 seats. Nationalist Congress Party: 2 seats. Other LDF supporters: 9 seats.
8. Apple Inc opens Development Office in Hyderabad
1. US personal and consumer technology giant Apple Inc. opened a new Development Office in Hyderabad, Telangana. The office was formally opened by Apple’s CEO Tim Cook who is on official visit to India.
2. The facility located on the Waverock campus will focus on development of Maps for Apple’s flagship products, including iPad, iPhone, Mac and Apple Watch. The new facility will provide a world-class, LEED-certified home for the expanding Maps team and create up to 4000 jobs.
9. Hypersonic superjet technology successfully tested in Australia
1. A joint US-Australian military research team successfully tested a hypersonic technology in the Australian desert. In the test, scramjet attached to a rocket booster was successfully sent to an altitude of 278 km at Mach 7.5 (seven times the speed of sound). 2. The team was running a series of 10 trials of the hypersonic technology at the world’s largest land testing range located at Woomera in Australia and at Norway’s Andoya Rocket Range.
10. Veteran Gujarati folk singer Diwaliben Bhil passes away
1. Veteran Gujarati folk singer Diwaliben Bhil passed away in Junagadh, Gujarat. She was 80. Diwaliben Bhil had given her voice to various Gujarati folk songs, film songs and Garba (Gujarati folk dance).