Dear Readers, we are providing Today's important current affairs of Competitive Exams specially for Bank and SSC.
1. India, Iran and Afghanistan signed agreement on Trilateral Transit and Transport Corridor
1. India, Iran and Afghanistan signed the agreement on Trilateral Transit and Transport Corridor.
The agreement was signed in the presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, President Hassan Rouhani of Iran and the Afghan President Ashraf Ghani in Tehran.
2. The purpose of the agreement is to facilitate seamless transport of goods between India and Afghanistan via the Chabahar port that is strategically located in the South East of Iran.
3. This agreement is expected to bring down cargo tariffs and boost regional economic development.
Besides, India and Iran also signed an agreement for the development of the Chabahar port. This agreement is complementary to the agreement on Trilateral Transit and Transport Corridor.
4. Under the agreement, India will develop the Chabahar port in Iran at an estimated cost of 150 million US dollars.
2. Sarbananda Sonowal sworn-in as Assam Chief Minister
1. Senior BJP leader and former Union minister Sarbanand Sonowal was sworn-in as the Chief Minister of Assam . Governor Padmanabha Balakrishna Acharya administered his oath of office and secrecy at Khanapara in Guwahati.
It was the first time after 1985, when a Chief Minister took his oath in an open field.
2. With this, Sonowal became Assam’s second tribal chief minister after Jogen Hazarika in the 1970s. He is also first Chief Minister from Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in Assam.
3. It is the first time that a BJP-led alliance will form a majority government in Assam.
3. Union Government announced 2nd batch of 13 Smart Cities
1. The Union Government announced the 2nd batch of 13 smart cities that will be developed under Prime Minister Narendra Modi's Smart City Mission.
2. Lucknow topped the list of winners of the Fast Track competition conducted for 23 cities from as many States and Union Territories. With the selection of these 13 cities, 25 States/Union Territories are now covered under Smart City Mission.
3. The first batch of 20 smart cities was announced on 28 January 2016.
4. 13 shortlisted smart cities (Rank wise) are Lucknow (Uttar Pradesh). Warangal (Telanagana). Shimla (Himachal Pradesh). Chandigarh (UT of Chandigarh). Raipur (Chattisgarh). New Town Kolkata (West Bengal). Bhagalpur (Bihar). Panaji (Goa). Port Blair (UT of Andaman & Nicobar Islands). Imphal (Manipur). Ranchi (Jharkhand). Agartala (Tripura). Faridabad (Haryana).
4. INS Tarmugli commissioned into Indian Navy
1. Fast Attack Craft INS Tarmugli was commissioned into Indian Navy today by Vice Admiral HCS Bisht, AVSM, Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Eastern Naval Command at Naval Dockyard, Visakhapatnam.
2. INS Tarmugli will be based in Visakhapatnam under the Naval Officer-in-Charge (Andhra Pradesh) and will be deployed for coastal patrol and surveillance operations along the East Coast of India.
5. FIFA's acting Secretary General Markus Kattner dismissed over bonus payments
1. FIFA acting Secretary General Markus Kattner was dismissed from his position with immediate effect on 23 May 2016.
2. He was removed after FIFA’s internal investigation uncovered breaches of his fiduciary responsibilities in connection with his employment contract. He was accused of paying himself bonuses worth millions of pounds.
3. The 45-year old German took over as acting General Secretary after Jerome Valcke was sacked for irregularities.
6. S K Sharma appointed CMD of Nuclear Power Corporation of India
1. Renowned scientist S K Sharma was appointed the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL). In his new role, Mr Sharm will be responsible for design, construction, commissioning and operation of nuclear power reactors.
2. He has been appointed to the new post for a period of five years. At present,he is working as Distinguished Scientist and Director (Operations) in NPCIL.
7. Pankaj Advani creates history by winning Asian 6-Red Snooker title
1. India’s ace cueist Pankaj Advani has created history by clinching the Asian 6-Red Snooker title held in Abu Dhabi. With this victory, Advani became the first cueist in the world to hold both world and continental titles in 6-red snooker at the same time. In the Asian 6-Red Snooker title held in Abu Dhabi, Advani defeated top seeded Malaysian cueist Keen Hoh Moh by 7-5 score.
2. Advani is 14-time World Billiards and Snooker Champion. He is only player in the world to win world titles in all formats of both, Billiards and Snooker. He is the first cueist in the world to win the Grand double three times in 2005 and 2008 respectively.
8. Mohun Bagan wins 2016 Indian Federation Cup football tournament
1. Mohun Bagan FC has won the 2016 Indian Federation Cup football tournament title for the 14th time. They have won the tournament after a gap of 8 years and last was won in 2008. In the final match played at the Indira Gandhi Athletic Stadium in Guwahati (Assam), they defeated Aizawl FC by 5-0 goals.
2. For Mohun Bagan FC the Jeje Lalpekhlua scored two goals while Haitian Sony Norde, Dhanachandra Singh and Bikramjit Singh scored one each. Aizawl FC for the first time had played in the final match. They had defeated I-League champions Bengaluru FC in the quarterfinals before getting the better of Sporting Clube de Goa to book a place in the Final for the first time.
9. India’s first reusable space shuttle RLV-TD launched
1. The Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) has successfully test launched the first indigenous Reusable Launch Vehicle-Technology Demonstrator (RLV-TD).
2. It was launched from the First Launch Pad at Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh. The launch was part of a series of technology demonstration missions, which is considered as a first step towards realising a Two Stage To Orbit (TSTO) fully re-usable vehicle. After launch RLV-TD glided back onto a virtual runway in Bay of Bengal and re-entered the atmosphere after reaching a height of over 70 km.