Dear Readers, we are providing important current affairs of Competitive Exams specially for Bank and SSC based on The Hindu, economic times. It will help you in upcoming SBI CLerk Mains Exam.
> Current Affairs Booster of May 2016
Current Affairs of 1-15 June 2016
2. The Global Day of Parents was observed globally on 1 June 2016. The Global Day provides an opportunity to appreciate all parents in all parts of the world for their selfless commitment to children and their lifelong sacrifice towards nurturing this relationship.
3. World Milk Day was observed across the world on 1 June 2016. It is observed to increase awareness on milk and to publicise activities connected with milk and the milk industry.
4. The Direct Tax Dispute Resolution Scheme 2016 came into effect on 1 June 2016. The scheme was incorporated as Chapter X of the Finance Act, 2016.
5. Razak Khan, one of the best comedians of Bollywood movies, passed away on 1 June 2016 following a cardiac arrest in Bandra, Mumbai.
6. Switzerland inaugurated Gotthard Base Tunnel, world’s longest and deepest railway tunnel. The tunnel is also the first flat low-level route through the Alps.It took 17 years and 12.2 billion Swiss francs to construct the tunnel.
7. World No-Tobacco Day (WNTD) is observed every year across the world on 31 May.
8. China has successfully launched three (one domestic and two foreign) satellites namely Ziyuan III 02 satellite and two NewSat satellites. They were launched on the back of a Long March 4B rocket from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Centre in northern Shanxi Province. It was the 228th flight mission by a Long March carrier rocket.
9. Union Government has extended the retirement age of government doctors’ to 65 years with effect from 31 May 2016 to strengthen the healthcare sector in the country.
10. The Union Cabinet gave its approval for signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Qatar for strengthening cooperation in the field of Tourism.
11. Sachin Tendulkar's name to be used in Kerala Government's Anti-Drug Campaign.
12. A new book The Unseen Indira Gandhi authored by Dr KP Mathur was released in May 2016. Dr KP Mathur was personal physician of former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi for nearly 20 years till her assassination in 1984.
13. Sri Lanka seam bowler Nuwan Kulasekara announced his retirement from Tests with immediate effect on 1 June 2015. He continues his career in limited over cricket.
14. The Union Cabinet gave its ex-post facto approval to the signing of Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the Directorate General of Civil Aviation of India (DGCA) and the French Civil Aviation Authority.
15. India and Morocco have launched the India-Morocco Chamber of Commerce and Industry (IMCCI) in Moroccan capital city Rabat. The IMCCI was jointly launched by visiting Indian Vice President Hamid Ansari and Moroccan Prime Minister Abdelilah Benkirane.
16. Rahul Johri took charge as first ever chief executive officer (CEO) of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) at its headquarters in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
17. CR Sasikumar has taken over as Managing Director of State Bank of Travancore (SBT), one of the associate banks of State Bank of India (SBI).
18. Asia’s largest annual security forum Shangri-La Dialogue was inaugurated in Singapore to talk about security issues in the Asia-Pacific region. The forum has been organised by the London-based International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS).
19. The Indian Boxing Council (IBC) was granted affiliation by the Commonwealth Boxing Council (CBC) on 2 June 2016. The affiliation was unanimously endorsed by CBC.
20. P Dhanapal and Pollachi V Jayaraman were unanimously re-elected as Speaker and Deputy Speaker respectively for the 15th Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly.
21. P Sreeramakrishnan was elected as the Speaker of the 14th legislative assembly of Kerala. He was the candidate of ruling Left Democratic Front (LDF) and a two-time legislator from Ponnani constituency.
22. India and Tunisia signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for co-operation in Information Technology and promotion of traditional handicrafts.
23. Senior IPS officer Navin Agarwal was appointed Director General (DG)/ Chief Executive Officer (CEP) of National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA)
24. Odisha became the first state in the country to give transgender people social welfare benefits – such as a housing, pension and food grains.
25. India has joined the Hague Code of Conduct against Ballistic Missile Proliferation (HCoC), a global ballistic missile proliferation regime. India has joined the Code highlighting its readiness to further strengthen global non-proliferation objectives.
26. Assam Assembly has passed Assam Ease of Doing Business Bill, 2016 to facilitate ease of doing business in the state. The bill seeks to attract fresh investment in the state through an easy computerised clearance system.
27. American boxing icon Muhammad Ali passed away after 32-year battle with Parkinson’s disease in Phoenix, Arizona. He was 74.
28. In recently released 2015 Good Country Index (GCI), India has been placed at 70th position in the list of 163 countries. The list has been topped by Sweden as the best country in the world when it comes to serving the interests of its people and contributing to the common good of humanity.
29. Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Afghanistan President Dr Ashraf Ghani jointly inaugurated the Afghan-India Friendship Dam with in Herat province in Western Afghanistan on 4 June 2016.
30. Nita Ambani, Founder and Chairperson of Reliance Foundation has been nominated as a candidate to be a new member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
31. India and Qatar signed seven agreements, including one on finance intelligence to check money laundering and terrorism financing and another to woo foreign investment in the infrastructure sector from the gas-rich Gulf state.
32. The New Development Bank (NDB) of the BRICS countries is set to issue its first yuan-denominated bonds to finance sustainable development projects. The NDB’s first five-year yuan-denominated bonds (or green bonds) will be issued after receiving a rating from international ratings agencies as well as getting authorities’ approval. Further, the NDB plans to release more bonds in local
33. Garbine Muguruza won her first Grand Slam title by beating defending champion Serena Williams 7-5, 6-4 at the French Open denying the American her record-equalling 22nd major trophy.
34. Minister of Railways Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu flagged off the inaugural run of the Tiger Trail Circuit Train from Delhi Safdarjung Station.
35. Congress Legislature Party leader V Narayanasamy was sworn-in as Chief Minister of the Union Territory of Puducherry
36. India’s ace tennis player Leander Paes and Martina Hingis of Switzerland on 3 June 2016 won the French Open Mixed Doubles title.
37. N.K. Chari took over as the Managing Director (MD) of State Bank of Mysore.
38. Every year World Environment Day (WED) is observed on 5 June to raise global awareness to take positive environmental action to protect nature and the planet Earth.
39. Prime Minister Narendra Modi was conferred with Amir Amanullah Khan Award, the highest civilian honour of Afghanistan.
40. World Number One tennis player Novak Djokovic from Serbia has won the 2016 French Open title in the men’s singles category. In the final match, Djokovic defeated Britain’s Andy Murray by 3-6, 6-1, 6-2, 6-4 score. It is his first French Open title and completed the career Grand Slam.
41. India’s first Mr Universe and eelebrated body-builder Manohar Aich passed away in Kolkata, West Bengal age-related ailments.
42. South Asian Games gold medallist Indian judoka Avtar Singh has qualified for the 2016 Rio Olympic Games scheduled to be held in August 2016 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
43. The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Union Government signed the Loan Agreement for 200 million US dollars to upgrade 176 Kilometres of State roads in Jharkhand.
44. The Rajiv Gauba Committee on Decongestion of Traffic in Delhi submitted its report to the Union Ministry of Urban Development.
45. Exercise Desert Eagle II, which was the second in the series of bilateral exercises between Indian Air Force (IAF) and United Arab Emirates Air Force (UAE AF), was concluded on 3 June 2016.
46. India ranked 2nd on GRD index on ease of doing business.
47. Himachal Pradesh became the first state in the country to have a State Data Centre (SDC), designed using green data centre concept. It was launched by Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh in Shimla.
48. The World Oceans Day is being observed globally on 8th June every year to raise global awareness of the current challenges faced by the international community in connection with the oceans. Theme- “Healthy oceans, healthy planet”
49. RBI rates unchanged in 2nd bi-monthly monetary policy review for year 2016-17.
Repo rate under the liquidity adjustment facility (LAF): unchanged at 6.75 per cent.
Reverse repo rate under the LAF: unchanged at 5.75 per cent. Marginal standing facility (MSF) rate and the Bank Rate has unchanged at 7.75 per cent.
Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR) of scheduled banks: Unchanged at 4.0 per cent of net demand and time liability (NDTL).
50. The International Monetary Fund (IMF) on 7 June 2016 approved 1.5 billion US dollar loan to Sri Lanka. IMF has already transferred 168 million US dollars as the first Instalment with immediate effect to support the country’s economy.
51. India has signed loan agreement of US 12 crore dollars with the Asian Development Bank (ADB) to improve irrigation and water management infrastructure in Odisha.
52. Father of modern Nepali music and composer of the country’s national anthem Amber Gurung passed away in Dhapasi. He was 79 and was suffering from diabetes and Parkinson’s disease.
53. Union Home Ministry has decided to form new reserve battalion will be raised and it will be named after Maharana Pratap. It will be called Maharana India Reserve Battalion.
54. India has managed to win crucial support from Switzerland for Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) membership. In this regard, Swiss President Johann Schneider-Ammann has announced his country’s support for India’s membership to the elite NSG.
55. Bollywood actress Dia Mirza was named as the ambassador for Swachh Saathi (student internship) programme.
56. The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) members and partners on 6 June 2016 launched Anaconda-16 Exercise, the biggest ever joint military exercise in Poland.
57. Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a decree awarding the Order of Friendship to United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.
58. The Union Government decided to introduce International Yoga Award Scheme. The award will be introduced with an aim to promote yoga.
59. Veteran journalist KK Katyal passed away following a brief illness in Delhi. He was 88. He is survived by his wife and daughters.
60. Pakistan has topped in the list of 19 countries figuring in the 2016 Malware Infection Index (MII) in the Asia-Pacific region.
61. According to recently released BP Statistical Review of World Energy India has surpassed Japan to become the world’s third-largest oil consumer.
62. The International Tennis Federation (ITF) has banned former Russian World No. 1 tennis player Maria Sharapova for two years over doping charges.
63. Axis Bank has launched India’s first internationally-listed certified green bond to finance climate change solutions around the world at London Stock Exchange (LSE). The proceeds of the bond will be invested by Axis Bank in green energy, transportation and infrastructure projects.
64. Per Lodin, Major General of Sweden, was appointed as the Head of the UN Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP). Lodin's appointment was approved by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.
65. Prime Minister Narendra Modi concluded five-nation visit to Afghanistan, Qatar, Switzerland, the US and Mexico. During the five-day tour between 4 June and 8 June 2016, Modi met with Afghan President, Ashraf Ghani; Amir of Qatar, Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al-Thani; President of Swiss federation, Johann Schneider-Ammann; US President Barack Obama; and Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieta.
66. Russia has honoured UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon with Order of Friendship Award. He was bestowed with this award for his special merits in strengthening peace, friendship, cooperation and mutual understanding between peoples.
67. India was ranked 141 on a Global Peace Index (GPI) for year 2016 out of 163 countries, making it less peaceful country. Iceland (1st), Denmark (2nd), Austria (3rd), New Zealand (4th), Portugal (5th), Czech Republic (6th), Switzerland (7th), Canada (8th), Japan (9th) and Slovenia (10th).
68. India, Japan and United States (US) navies have kicked off 2016 MALABAR trilateral naval Exercise near South China Sea. This year it is the 20th edition of the naval exercise in which over 100 aircraft and 22 naval ships including a nuclear submarine are participating.
69. Sikkim became the first state in India to have an open government data portal linked ‘sikkim.data.gov.in’
70. Congress leader and former Chief Minister V. Vaithilingam was elected unopposed as the Speaker of the 14th Puducherry legislative Assembly.
71. Additional Solicitor General of India and former Parliamentarian Satya Pal Jain was on 10 June 2016 appointed as a part-time member of the 21st Law Commission of India.
72. The legendary Canadian ice hockey player Gordie Howe was died on 10 June 2016 after a lengthy illness. He was 88.
73. Indian ace Saina Nehwal received a huge boost ahead of the Rio Olympics as she clinched her second Australian Open title after defeating China's Sun Yu in a thrilling three-game final of the Super Series badminton tournament.
74. China launched its 23rd satellite it the BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS). The satellite launched from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in southwest China's Sichuan Province will support China’s global navigation and positioning network.
75. The USA Women’s Senior National Team won gold at the FINA Women Water Polo World League Super Final. The team defeated Spain 13-9 in the championship match in Shanghai, China.
76. Donald Carr, the former captain of England Cricket team, died on 12 June 2016.
77. Norway in the first week of June 2016 became the first country to prohibit deforestation.
78. Second International Albinism Awareness Day was observed on 13 June 2016. The day is observed to recognize the importance of increasing awareness and understanding of albinism in order to fight against global discrimination and stigma against persons with albinism.
79. Noted playwright and actor Achyut Lahkar, doyen of Assam’s mobile theatre movement, passed away on 12 June 2016 following a protracted illness.
80. India's bollywood actress Priyanka Chopra was nominated for 2016 Teen Choice Awards on 12 June 2016. She got her final nomination in the category of Choice TV Breakout Star.
81. The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) has announced four proposed names for the four new elements that were added in periodic table in January 2016.These new elements are Nihonium (Nh), Moscovium (Mc), Tennessine (Ts), and Oganesson (Og).
82. Indian American author Akhil Sharma won the prestigious 2016 International Dublin Literary Award for his semi-autobiographical novel “Family Life.”
83. Distinguished journalist, editor and author Inder Malhotra passed away following a long illness in New Delhi.
84. The World Day Against Child Labour is being observed annually across world on 12 June to bring awareness against child labour.
85. Ranu Langthasa was unanimously appointed as the chairperson of the North Cachar Hills Autonomous Council (NCHAC) in Assam .
86. Microsoft signs agreement to acquire LinkedIn for $26.2 billion.
87. World Blood Donors Day (WBDD) 2016 was observed on 14 June 2016.The theme of the 2016 World Blood Donor Day campaign is Blood connects us all.
88. Mercedes racing driver Lewis Hamilton of Britain won the Formula 1 Canada Grand Prix title.To win the title, he overcame Ferrari driver Sebastian Vettel in the final race held in Montreal, Canada.
89. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has issued guidelines called Scheme for Sustainable Structuring of Stressed Assets (S4A). The main aim of these guidelines is to (i) Strengthen the lenders’ ability to deal with stressed assets and (ii) Put real assets back on track of entities facing genuine difficulties by providing an avenue for reworking financial structure.
90. Private power producer Tata Power Co. Ltd has agreed to acquire renewable energy company Welspun Renewables Energy Pvt. Ltd.
91. The senior-most Judge of the Manipur High Court Justice Rakesh Ranjan Prasad has assumed charge of the Chief Justice of the High Court. He succeeded Justice Laxmi Kanta Mohapatra who has relinquished the charge of office.
92. Fijian diplomat Peter Thomson has been elected as President of 71st session of United Nations General Assembly (UNGA). In the secret ballot election for the post, Peter Thomson defeated Andreas Mavroyiannis of Cyprus by 94 to 90 votes, with one abstention.
93. Union Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) on 15 June 2016 launched Scheme for setting up of 1000 MW Wind Power Project connected to Central Transmission Utility (CTU) transmission network.
94. Florida-based Stonegate Bank issued a new credit card that will allow Americans to use it in Cuba during their visit to the country. The card will help the US visitors to avoid the Cuban 10-percent penalty on the dollar.
95. Businessman Vijay Mallya was declared as a Proclaimed Offender by a special court for the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) in Mumbai in a loan diversion case.
96. World Elder Abuse Awareness Day was observed globally on 15 June 2016. The day is observed to voice against abuse and suffering inflicted on older people.
97. Distinguished Hindi writer, activist, thinker and cultural personality Mudrarakshasa passed away following a prolonged illness in Lucknow. He was 82.
98. President Pranab Mukherjee has been presented National Order of the Republic of Ivory Coast, the highest civilian award of the West African country.
99. Public Sector Power equipment manufacturer Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) has commissioned 195 MW unit at Muzaffarpur Thermal Power Station in Bihar. This is the second 195 MW unit to be commissioned by BHEL at the 2×195 MW Muzaffarpur Thermal Power Station Stage-II of Kanti Bijlee Utpadan Nigam Limited (KBUNL).