Dear Readers, we are providing Today's important current affairs of Competitive Exams specially for Bank and SSC.
> Current Affairs Booster of May 2016
Daily Current Affairs- 16 June 2016
1. Senior IAS officer Supriya Sahu was appointed as Director General of Doordarshan . She will be the full-time director general of the state-run broadcaster after two year as the post was lying vacant since July 2014.
2. The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) approved to appoint Sahu for the post.
3. She would replace Aparna Vaish who was acting head of Doordharsan. She was appointed after the board decided to appoint the senior-most additional director general (ADG) at Doordarshan.
2. Arktika, the most powerful nuclear icebreaker launched by Russia
1. Russia launched the new Project 22220 nuclear icebreaker dubbed ‘Arktika’. It was launched from the Baltic Shipyard in St. Petersburg – the second largest city of Russia.
2. Project 22220 is the world’s largest and most powerful vessel of its kind and it has been built at the Baltic Shipyard of the United Shipbuilding Corporation of Russia.
3. Key characteristics of Arktika
• The vessel is 189.5 yards long and 37.1 yards wide.
• It displaces 33540 metric tons and is fitted with two specifically designed RITM-200 nuclear power reactors.
3. Famous TV actress Ann Morgan Guilbert dies
1. Famous Television actress Ann Morgan Guilbert died on 16 June 2016 after battling with cancer. She was 87.
2. She began her TV career in the 1960s, appearing on popular programmes such as I Dream of Jeannie, My Three Sons, The Alfred Hitchcock Hour, The Partridge Family, Love, American Style, and The New Andy Griffith Show.
4. Hollywood actor Anne Hathaway appointed as UN Women Goodwill Ambassador
1. The United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women on 15 June 2016 appointed Anne Hathaway as global Goodwill Ambassador.
2. The Academy Award-winning actor will advocate for the adoption and implementation of policies worldwide to bring change at both government and corporate levels.
3. Hathaway has previously served as an advocate for Nike Foundation. She travelled to Kenya and Ethiopia to raise awareness on child marriage.
5. National Civil Aviation Policy 2016 released
1. The Union Ministry of Civil Aviation (MoCA) released National Civil Aviation Policy (NCAP) 2016 . The policy’s mission is to provide safe, secure, affordable and sustainable air travel for passengers and air transportation of cargo with access to various parts of India and the world.
2. Vision of the Policy
• To create an eco-system to make flying affordable for the masses
• To enable 30 crore domestic ticketing by 2022 and 50 crore by 2027
• To increase international ticketing to 20 crore by 2027
• Increase cargo volumes to 10 million tonnes by 2027
Key Objectives of the Policy are:
• To establish an integrated eco-system leading to significant growth of civil aviation sector that would promote tourism, increase employment and lead to a balanced regional growth.
• To ensure safety, security and sustainability of aviation sector through the use of technology and effective monitoring.
• To enhance regional connectivity through fiscal support and infrastructure development.
6. Union Cabinet approves proposal to raise retirement age of CHS doctors to 65
1. The Union Cabinet has given its approval for enhancement of retirement age of government doctors’ to 65 years to strengthen the healthcare sector in the country. In this regard, Union Cabinet has approved proposal forwarded by Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. Cabinet has approved the superannuation age of Public Health and Non-Teaching Specialists of Central Health Service from 62 years to 65 years.
7. Union Cabinet approves MoU between ISRO and Canadian Space Agency
1. The Union Cabinet has approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) and Canadian Space Agency (CSA) on cooperation in the field of outer space. The MoU was signed between two parties in Ottawa, Canada in April 2015.
2. It will lead to establishment of joint team, drawing members from CSA and ISRO. The joint team will work out the plan of action including defining and examining cooperative projects and the time-frame. It will provide opportunities for diverse research and development in the field of peaceful uses of space technologies.
8. Margaret Atwood wins 2016 Pen Pinter Prize
1. Canadian poet, novelist, literary critic, essayist, and environmental activist Margaret Atwood was chosen for the prestigious 2016 Pen Pinter Prize. She will formerly receive the award at a public event scheduled to be held on 13 October 2016 at the British Library.