Dear Readers, we are providing Today's important current affairs of Competitive Exams specially for Bank and SSC.
1. President Pranab Mukherjee has appointed former IPS officer Bhim Sain Bassi as a member of Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) as per provisions of Article 316 of Constitution.
2. He will hold the constitutional post till February 2021 i.e. maximum tenure of six years or till he attains the age of 65 years.
2. Global Day of Parents observed across the world
1. The Global Day of Parents was observed globally on 1 June 2016. The Global Day provides an opportunity to appreciate all parents in all parts of the world for their selfless commitment to children and their lifelong sacrifice towards nurturing this relationship.
2. The Day was proclaimed by the UN General Assembly in 2012 and honours parents throughout the world.
3. World Milk Day observed globally
1. World Milk Day was observed across the world on 1 June 2016. It is observed to increase awareness on milk and to publicise activities connected with milk and the milk industry.
It also seeks to inform people about usefulness of milk and milk products, its nutritional value and economic importance.
2. The observance of the day was initiated in 2001 by the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). FAO actively encourages milk and dairy consumption as part of a daily diet.
4. Direct Tax Dispute Resolution Scheme 2016 comes into force
1. The Direct Tax Dispute Resolution Scheme 2016 came into effect on 1 June 2016. The scheme was incorporated as Chapter X of the Finance Act, 2016.
2. The declarations under this Scheme may be made on or before the 31 December 2016 in respect of tax arrears & specified tax.
3. Scheme will not apply in following cases:-
• Cases where prosecution has been initiated before 29.02.2016.
• Search or survey cases where the declaration is in respect of tax arrears
• Cases relating to undisclosed foreign income and assets
5. Noted comedian Razak Khan passes away
1. Razak Khan, one of the best comedians of Bollywood movies, passed away on 1 June 2016 following a cardiac arrest in Bandra, Mumbai.
2. He was popularly known for his roles in movies like Hello Brother, Hungama and Hera Pheri.
6. Gotthard Base Tunnel, world's longest and deepest rail tunnel, inaugurated in Switzerland
1. Switzerland inaugurated Gotthard Base Tunnel, world’s longest and deepest railway tunnel. The tunnel is also the first flat low-level route through the Alps.
2. It took 17 years and 12.2 billion Swiss francs to construct the tunnel.
7. 31 May: World No-Tobacco Day
1. World No-Tobacco Day (WNTD) is observed every year across the world on 31 May. This day highlights the health risks associated with consumption all forms of tobacco and advocating for effective policies to reduce tobacco consumption.
2. “World No Tobacco Day – Get ready for plain packaging”. The theme seeks to highlight this new trend packing trend in global efforts to control tobacco products, which kill almost 6 million people annually.
8. China successfully launches three satellites
1. China has successfully launched three (one domestic and two foreign) satellites namely Ziyuan III 02 satellite and two NewSat satellites. They were launched on the back of a Long March 4B rocket from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Centre in northern Shanxi Province. It was the 228th flight mission by a Long March carrier rocket.
2. It is new civilian high-resolution mapping satellite and second in the remote-sensing mapping system that China plans to build by 2030. It will join its predecessor Ziyuan III 01 to form a network and capture high-definition 3-D images and multispectral data. Ziyuan III 02 is capable to collect 3-D images of objects 2.5 metres or longer and is able to reduce deviation of vertical positioning to 1 metre using an onboard laser range finder.
9. Government doctors’ retirement age extended to 65 years
1. Union Government has extended the retirement age of government doctors’ to 65 years with effect from 31 May 2016 to strengthen the healthcare sector in the country.
2. In this regard, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved proposal forwarded by Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. The proposal wanted to enhance the age of superannuation of all doctors of the Central Health Service to 65 years.
3. This decision will cover all Government doctors whether serving under States or the Central dispensation.