Dear Readers, we are providing Today's important current affairs of Competitive Exams specially for Bank and SSC.
> Current Affairs Booster of May 2016
Daily Current Affairs- 23 June 2016
1. Olympian Anju Bobby George on 22 June 2016 resigned as . President of the Kerala Sports Council.
2. The iconic long jumper, who in 2003 became the first Indian athlete ever to win a medal in a World Athletics Championships in Paris, resigned after being accused for corruption by the state's sports minister EP Jayarajan.
3. Bobby George was appointed president of the state's sports council in 2015, by the erstwhile Oommen Chandy government.
2. Tech Mahindra Ltd acquires UK-based BIO Agency Ltd
1. Technology services provider Tech Mahindra Ltd (TechM) acquired UK-based digital transformation firm The BIO Agency Ltd.
2. The acquisition was carried out in an all-cash deal for an enterprise value of up to 45 million pounds.
3. Highlights of the acquisition
• The payment of 22 million pounds and the surplus cash of 5 million pounds will be made upfront and the balance will be done away as deferred payments based on company performance.
• Tech Mahindra will acquire 100 percent of shares of the company.
• The closing date of the transaction is expected to take place in the first week of July 2016.
3. Amjad Sabri, a famed Pakistani Qawwal, shot dead in Karachi
1. Renowned Qawwal Amjad Sabri, who was known for More Haji Piya, was shot dead by unidentified motorcycle-borne gunmen in Karachi, Pakistan on 22 June 2016.
2. Sabri, 45, was killed while travelling with an associate in a car in Karachi's Liquatabad area.
3. Popularly known as Rock Star of Qawwali due to his modern style of rendition, he was one of the best Sufi musicians and qawwals from Pakistan. Sufism is a mystical sect of Islam that is viewed as heretical by hard-line groups such as the Taliban.
4. PayPal appoints Anupam Pahuja as India Country Manager and MD
1. World’s leading payments platform PayPal on 22 June 2016 announced the appointment of Anupam Pahuja as the Managing Director (MD) and Country Manager for its India operations.
2. Pahuja will be responsible for all aspects of PayPal's business in India. He will also be responsible for further strengthening of the company's operations in the country.Prior to joining PayPal, Pahuja worked as the India MD for SumTotal Systems.
5. United Nations Public Service Day 2016 observed globally
1. The United Nations Public Service Day was celebrated by the United Nations (UN) on 23 June 2016.The day was celebrated to mark the invaluable contributions of public servants and administrators to build a better world for all.
2. The 2016 United Nations Public Service Day was celebrated at the United Nations Headquarters in New York with a High-level Knowledge Sharing Panel on Leaving No One Behind: Innovative Institutional Approaches and Public Service Delivery.
6. World Hydrography Day 2016 observed
1. World Hydrography Day (WHD) 2016 was observed on 21 June 2016 across the world.
2. The theme for the WHD 2016 was Hydrography - the key to well-managed seas and waterways. The theme tries to focus attention on the fundamental importance of hydrography.
7. Union Cabinet extends deadline of UDAY scheme
1. The Union Cabinet has approved proposal of extending the deadline for implementing the Ujjwal Discom Assurance Yojana (UDAY) by a year to March 31, 2017. With this decision, states shall take over 75% of ailing DISCOM (Power Distribution companies) debt as on 30th September, 2015 by 31st March, 2017 by issuing Bonds.
2. It is considered as a significant step in realising the vision of proving 24X7 affordable and environment friendly Power for All. This intervention will also lower the interest burden of debt and allow states, which could not join UDAY earlier to put DISCOMs reforms on accelerated path.
8. Anil Kumble is Team India's head coach
1. The BCCI has appointed Anil Kumble as the head coach of Team India for one year. This was announced by BCCI president Anurag Thakur fter the Board’s working committee meeting held in Dharamsala.
2. Earlier, the cricket body constituted a three-member cricket advisory committee, comprising Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly and VVS Laxman, who took interviews for the coveted job in Kolkata.
3. Former captain Anil Kumble along with ex-India cricketers Pravin Amre and Lalchand Rajput and former India team director Ravi Shastri were in the fray.
4. The BCCI, after putting out an advertisement on its website, had received 57 applications from both India and abroad and the list was trimmed to 21