Dear Readers, we are providing Today's important current affairs of Competitive Exams specially for Bank and SSC.
> Current Affairs Booster of May 2016
Daily Current Affairs- 28 June 2016
1. Gudni Johannesson wins Iceland’s presidential election
1. Gudni Johannesson won Iceland’s presidential . election. The history professor who ran as an independent in the election was able to secure 39.1% of the vote.
2. He will succeed Olafur Ragnar Grimsson, who served 20 years as head of state.The elections were held in the backdrop of the Panama Papers leak in April, which implicated several top officials of the country.
3. Johannesson, a history professor, who is a newcomer in the politics decided to run for the presidency after the leak and rode a wave of anti-establishment sentiment.
2. Sweden inaugurates world’s first electric road
1. Sweden inaugurated a test stretch of an electric road. With this, the country has become one of the first countries in the world to conduct tests with electric power for heavy transports on public roads.
2. The test was conducted on parts of road E16. It involved a current collector on the roof of the truck cab feeding the current down to a hybrid electric motor in the truck.
3. Key facts related to the test stretch of the road
• The tests will continue up through 2018.
• They will provide knowledge of how electric roads work in practice.
• It will offer a glimpse on whether the technology can be used in the future.
• The experiment is based on the government’s goal of energy efficiency and a fossil fuel-free vehicle fleet by 2030. It will also contribute to strengthening Sweden’s competitiveness.
3. Xerxes Sapur Desai, founder of Titan, dies
1. Xerxes Sapur Desai, the man who founded Titan Co Ltd, died following a prolonged illness in Bengaluru. He was 79.
2. Desai played a key role in introducing India to its first quartz watch in the late 80s when he set up Titan Co. Ltd (part of Tata Sons), after enduring years of resistance from state-owned HMT Watches.
4. Expanded Panama Canal reopens
1. Newly renovated and expanded Panama Canal was reopened by the Panamanian President, Juan Carlos Varela.
2. After the launch a giant Chinese container ship Cosco become the first vessel to move via the newly-enlarged Panama Canal from the Atlantic to the Pacific Ocean. The expanded Panama Canal will allow a new, much-larger generation of container ships to pass through the isthmus of Panama.
5. CSIR launches India’s first anti diabetic ayurvedic drug BGR -34
1. The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) has launched BGR-34, an anti-diabetic ayurvedic drug designed for type 2 Diabetes mellitus.
2. The anti-diabetic ayurvedic drug BGR-34 has been jointly developedby National Botanical Research Institute (NBRI) and Central Institute for Medicinal and Aromatic Plants (CIMAP).
6. Sujoy Bose appointed as first CEO of NIIF
1. The Union Government has appointed Sujoy Bose as the first Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of National Investment and Infrastructure Fund (NIIF). His selection for the CEO of NIIF was recommended by a search-cum-selection committee under the chairmanship of Economic Affairs Secretary Shaktikanta Das