Dear Readers, we are providing Today's important current affairs of Competitive Exams specially for Bank and SSC.
> Current Affairs Booster of May 2016
Daily Current Affairs- 9th June 2016
1. NATO launches biggest ever Joint Military Exercise Anaconda-16 in Poland
1. The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) members and partners on 6 June 2016 launched Anaconda-16 Exercise, the biggest ever joint military exercise in Poland.
2. The drill is part of NATO's exercise program and is being held just weeks before NATO's summit in Warsaw that is expected to decide that significant numbers of NATO troops and equipment will be based in Poland and in the Baltic states.
3. The exercise was launched at the crucial time when central and eastern European nations are seeking strong security guarantees amid concerns about Russia.
2. UN Chief Ban Ki-Moon honoured with Russia’s Order of Friendship
1. Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a decree awarding the Order of Friendship to United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.
2. The officially published decree said that the decoration was awarded to Ban for special merits in strengthening peace, friendship, cooperation and mutual understanding between peoples.
3. Among those awarded are Prince Michael of Kent, Oscar Niemeyer, the architect of the Brazilian capital, and former President of the International Olympic Committee, Jacques Rogge.
3. Union Government to introduce International Yoga Award Scheme
1. The Union Government on 8 June 2016 decided to introduce International Yoga Award Scheme. The award will be introduced with an aim to promote yoga.
2. At present, the AYUSH ministry is working on the scheme and it will start giving the award from 2017.
3. Minister of State for AYUSH, Shripad Yesso Naik announced the plan in New Delhi while inaugurating the National Health Editors' Conference.
4. Veteran Journalist KK Katyal passes away
1. Veteran journalist KK Katyal passed away following a brief illness in Delhi. He was 88. He is survived by his wife and daughters.
2. He was a former Delhi Chief of Bureau of The Hindu, who led the newspaper’s wide-ranging coverage from the National Capital during a particularly eventful phase of political change.
5. Pakistan tops in 2016 Malware Infection Index
1. Pakistan has topped in the list of 19 countries figuring in the 2016 Malware Infection Index (MII) in the Asia-Pacific region. The index for the Asia-Pacific region was released by technology giant Microsoft in which India was placed at 8th position.
2. The index identifies the key malware threats in the Asia-Pacific region and ranks markets in Asia-Pacific according to how much they are affected. More than 40% of computers in the 19 countries in Asia-Pacific region are infected against the global average being around 20%.
3. Pakistan (1st), Indonesia (2nd), Bangladesh (3rd), Nepal (4th), Vietnam (5th), Philippines (6th),Cambodia (7th), India (8th), Sri Lanka (9th) and Thailand (10th).
6. India becomes third largest oil consumer
1. According to recently released BP Statistical Review of World Energy India has surpassed Japan to become the world’s third-largest oil consumer. With demand of 4.1 million barrels a day (bpd), India is the third-largest consumer behind the United States (19.39 million bpd) and China (11.96 million bpd).
2. India accounted for 4.5% of world oil consumption in 2015 and its oil demand galloped 8.1% in 2015. India’s oil demand growth had surpassed China’s 6.3 per cent expansion. The US oil consumption has grown by 1.6% in 2015 and it demand share accounts for 19.7% of the total world demand of 95 million bpd in 2015.
7. International Tennis Federation bans Maria Sharapova for two years
1. The International Tennis Federation (ITF) has banned former Russian World No. 1 tennis player Maria Sharapova for two years over doping charges The ban was imposed on her Independent Tribunal of ITF appointed under Tennis Anti-Doping Programme found that she had committed an Anti-Doping Rule Violation.
2. It will commence on 26 January 2016. In January 2016 during the Australian Open she was tested positive for banned drug meldonium, a substance that has been added in the forbidden list by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) on 1 January 2016. Since then she was provisionally banned.
3. So far in her career, Maria Sharapova has won total 35 singles titles and five Grand Slam titles, two at the French Open and one each title at the Australian Open, Wimbledon, and US Open.