Dear Readers, we are providing Today's important current affairs of Competitive Exams specially for Bank and SSC.
Daily Current Affairs- 12 July 2016
1. Utpal Bora appointed as Chairman of Oil India
1. The Union Government in the first week of July 2016 appointed Utpal Bora as the full-time chairman of Oil India Ltd.
Bora's appointment was recommended by a three-member search-cum-selection committee headed by Cabinet Secretary P K Sinha.
2. The committee was formed after Public Enterprises Selection Board failed to come up with a suitable name.
On the other hand, the Department Of Personnel And Training also announced the appointment of D Rajkumar as head of Bharat Petroleum.
2. President confers 51st Jnanpith Award on Dr. Raghuveer Chaudhari
1. President Pranab Mukherjee on 11 July 2016 conferred the 51st Jnanpith Award on renowned Gujarati writer Dr. Raghuveer Chaudhari at Parliament Library Building, New Delhi. He was awarded with the India's highest literary honour for the year 2015.
He was given a cash prize, a citation plaque and a bronze replica of Goddess Saraswati.
2. With this, he also became the fourth Gujarati literary artist to receive the prestigious award. The other Gujarati recipients of the award are poet Umashankar Joshi (1967), novelist Pannalal Patel (1985) and poet Rajendra Shah (2001).
3. SRK, Akshay in Forbes list of world’s 100 highest-paid celebrities
1. Bollywood superstars Shahrukh Khan and Akshay Kumar are among the world’s highest-paid celebrities of 2016, according to an annual list by Forbes.
2. The list has been topped by American singer Taylor Swift with an earning of $170 million.
3. Shah Rukh ranks 86th on the list with earnings of $33 million, while Akshay comes in on the 94th spot with $31.5 million earnings.
4. Sanjay Gupta appointed CMD of Konkan Railway Corporation
1. Sanjay Gupta has been appointed as chairman and managing director (CMD) of Konkan Railway Corporation Limited (KRCL). He is ex-Indian Railway Services of Mechanical Engineering (IRSME) officer. With this appointment he becomes youngest ever officer to be appointed as CMD of KRCL.
2. Prior to his elevation, he was working as director (operating and commercial) of Konkan Railway from 2013. Besides he was also looking after the post of CMD after superanuation of the previous incumbent B P Tayal in November 2015.
5. 11 July: World Population Day
1. The World Population Day is observed across the world on July 11 to attention on the urgency and importance of population issue. 2016 Theme: “Investing in teenage girls”. It focuses on the empowerment of teenage girls.
2. The theme highlights the importance of empowering teenage girls by providing them access to basic information about their health, human rights and reproductive rights so they become agents of positive change in their communities. Many teenage girls around the globe face challenges to get married early and then motherhood under the pressure of their communities or parents. These girls lack access to basic information leaving them vulnerable to illness, injury and exploitation.