Dear Readers, we are providing Today's important current affairs of Competitive Exams specially for Bank and SSC.
Daily Current Affairs- 15 July 2016
1. India, ADB sign 100 Million US dollar loan agreement for Cauvery Delta project in Tamil Nadu
1. The Union Government and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) signed a 100 million US dollars loan agreement to strengthen key irrigation and drainage system and improve water management in the Vennar sub-basin of the Cauvery delta in Tamil Nadu.
2. The financing will be used to strengthen embankments of six major irrigation water channels in the Vennar system and rehabilitate 13 irrigation pumping schemes.
3. Highlights of the Project
• The project aims to improve existing infrastructure and will provide flood protection and renewed access to irrigation.
• Flood forecasting and warning systems will be installed and a flood risks map drawn up to help communities respond more effectively to extreme events.
• The Water Resources Department of the State of Tamil Nadu is responsible for implementing the project.
• The loan from ADB’s ordinary capital resources has a 25-year term.
• The project is expected to be completed by December 2020.
2. RBI sets up Sudarshan Sen-headed Inter-regulatory Working Group on Fin Tech and Digital Banking
1. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on 14 July 2016 constituted an inter regulatory Working Group (WG) to study the entire gamut of regulatory issues relating to Fin Tech (financial technology) and Digital Banking in India.
2. It will view the growing significance of Fin Tech innovations and their interactions with the financial sector as well as the financial sector entities.
3. The 13-member working group will be headed by Sudarshan Sen, the executive director of RBI. It has been asked to submit its report within six months from the date of its first meeting.
4. The terms of reference of the Working Group
• To undertake a scoping exercise to gain a general understanding of the major Fin Tech innovations/developments, counterparties/entities, technology platforms involved and how markets and the financial sector in particular, are adopting new delivery channels, products and technologies.
• To assess opportunities and risks arising for the financial system from digitisation and use of financial technology, and how these can be utilised for optimising financial product innovation and delivery to the benefit of users / customers and other stakeholders.
• To assess the implications and challenges for the various financial sector functions such as intermediation, clearing, payments being taken up by non-financial entities.
3. World Youth Skills Day 2016 observed globally
1. The World Youth Skills Day (WYSD) was on 15 July 2016 observed globally with the theme Skills Development to Improve Youth Employment.
2. On the occasion, United Nations organised the event facilitated by the UN Envoy on Youth Ahmad Alhendawi. The event was co-organized with the Permanent Missions of Portugal and Sri Lanka to the United Nations, UNESCO and the International Labour Organization (ILO).
4. WHO declares India as Maternal and Neonatal Tetanus free
1. The World Health Organization (WHO) declared India as Maternal and Neonatal Tetanus free. In this regard, WHO presented certificates to the Union Health and Family Welfare Minister J P Nadda.
2. Previously in May 2016, WHO certified India yaws-free after a team of experts verified interruption of disease transmission in the country. India is the first country under the 2012 WHO neglected tropical diseases (NTD) roadmap to eliminate yaws.
3. Yaws is a chronic bacterial infection that affects the skin, bones and cartilages.
5. Misbah-ul-Haq becomes oldest captain to score Test hundred
1. Pakistan captain Misbah-ul-Haq scored 110 against England at Lord's.
2. With this, the 42 years and 47 days old cricketer became the oldest captain to score Test hundred.
Misbah is also the oldest visiting player to play a Test on English soil in the last 31 years.
3. The previous oldest was Somachandra de Silva of Sri Lanka, who was 42 years & 73 days old when he played against England at Lord's in 1984.
6. 11th ASEM summit begins in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
1. The eleventh edition of Asia-Europe Meeting Summit (ASEM11) or ASEM2016 began in Ulaanbaatar, the capital of Mongolia. The theme of the Summit is ‘Partnership for the Future through Connectivity‘.
2. World leaders including from the leaders of 51 member countries and the representatives of European Union and Asian are attending the two day summit. Indian delegation is led by Vice President Mohmmad Hamid Ansari. India’s agenda for the summit is to push the efforts to boost inter-continental connectivity.
7. DRDO successfully tests New Advanced Towed Artillery Artillery Gun System
1. The Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) successfully conducted proof firing tests of Armament system for 155 mm x 52 calibre New Advanced Towed Artillery Artillery Gun System (ATAGS). The tests were conducted as part of technical trials at Proof & Experimental Establishment (PXE) in Balasore, Odisha.
2. ATAGS is fully indigenously built towed artillery gun system undertaken in mission mode by DRDO as a part of artillery modernisation programme of Indian Army. Pune based Armament Research & Development Establishment (ARDE) is the nodal laboratory of DRDO for design and development of ATAGS along with collaboration of other DRDO laboratories.
8. Rakesh Kumar Chaturvedi appointed as Chairman of CBSE
1. Senior IAS officer Rakesh Kumar Chaturvedi has been appointed as the new Chairman of the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE). His appointment was made by the Appointment Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) headed by Prime Minister Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
2. He has been appointed for a period of five years. Rakesh Kumar Chaturvedi is a 1987 batch IAS officer of Madhya Pradesh cadre. As a bureaucrat he has wide-ranging rich experience in the commerce and revenue departments.
9. Harika Dronavalli wins Fide Women’s Grand Prix trophy of Chess
1. India’s Chess Grand Master Harika Dronavalli has won the Fide Women’s Grand Prix trophy in Chendu, China. It was her maiden career GP title. She won this title by defeating Russia’s Olga Girya. She finished on 7 points in the round robin tournament which had featured world’s top 12 players.
2. On the other hadnd India Grand Master Koneru Humpy too rounded off her campaign with a victory to also finish on 7 points. But Harika was declared winner for finishing with a better tie-break record in the tournament.
10. KVR Murthy appointed as CMD of Jute Corporation of India Limited
1. KVR Murthy was appointed as the Chairman-cum-Managing Director (CMD) of the Jute Corporation of India Limited (JCIL). He will have tenure of five years or till the date of his superannuation, whichever is earlier. Prior to this appointment he was serving as the Chief Commercial Manager of Eastern Railways.