Dear Readers, we are providing Today's important current affairs of Competitive Exams specially for Bank and SSC.
Daily Current Affairs- 19 July 2016
1. Parliament passes Regional Centre for Biotechnology Bill, 2016
1. The Rajya Sabha on 18 July 2016 passed the Regional Centre for Biotechnology Bill, 2016. The Bill seeks to establish a Regional Centre for Biotechnology in Faridabad, Haryana.
2. This will be an institution of education, training and research, under the auspices of United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in the National Capital Region.
It also confers upon it the status of an institution of national importance.
3. With this, both the houses of parliament passed the bill. Lok Sabha passed the bill on 25 April 2016 after it was introduced in Lok Sabha by the Minister of Science and Technology and Earth Sciences, Dr Harsh Vardhan, on 15 March 2016.Now, the bill will be sent to the President for his assent.
Provisions of the Bill
• Disseminate knowledge by providing teaching and research facilities in biotechnology and related fields
• Create a hub of biotechnology expertise
• Facilitate transfer of technology and knowledge in the SAARC region and generally Asia.
• Promote cooperation at the international level.
2. India's first e-court opened at Hyderabad High Court
1. India’s first e-court was opened at High Court of Judicature at Hyderabad on 17 July 2016. It was inaugurated by Supreme Court judge Justice Madan B Lokur who heads the e-Committee of the Supreme Court.
2. Hyderabad High Court is the common high court for the states of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana.
3. The centre, located in Faridabad in Haryana, will be a state of the art institute and a regional hub for interdisciplinary education, training and research in biotechnology.
3. Malcolm Turnbull sworn in as Australia’s PM for another term
1. Malcolm Turnbull was sworn in as the Prime Minister of Australia for another term.
2. Turnbull was sworn in after a narrow election victory with budget repair and a public vote on same sex marriage among his top priorities.
4. Fourth tranche of Sovereign Gold Bond scheme opened for subscription
1. The fourth tranche of the Sovereign Gold Bonds (SGB) scheme opened for subscription. SGB is government securities denominated in grams of gold. It offers an alternative to holding gold in physical form. The scheme was launched by the Union Government in October 2015.
2. Government has fixed 3,119 Rupees per gram as the issue price for the bond in this tranche. The scheme will be open till 22 July 2016.
3. The bond can be purchased from the National Stock Exchange (NSE) and Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE). Besides, all Bank branches and select Post Offices and Stock Holding Corporation of India Limited will also issue it.
5. Guruprasad Mohapatra appointed as Chairman of Airports Authority of India
1. Senior IAS officer Guruprasad Mohapatra was appointed as Chairman of Airports Authority of India (AAI). Prior to this appointment he was working as Joint Secretary in Union Ministry of Commerce from the past two years.
6. Legendary playback singer Mubarak Begum passes away
Legendary playback singer Mubarak Begum passed away in Mumbai, Maharashtra after a prolonged illness. She was 80. She is known for her singing scores of songs, duets and ghazals for Bollywood, mainly during the 1950s-1970s