Dear Readers, we are providing Today's important current affairs of Competitive Exams specially for Bank and SSC.
Daily Current Affairs- 21 July 2016
1. ECI launched National Electoral Roll Purification 2016
1. The Election Commission of India (ECI) announced that launch of National Electoral Roll Purification (NERP) 2016 programme across the country.
2. The programme was launched to improve health of Electoral Rolls (ERs) and to optimize the Polling Station (PS) location and area across the country.The motto of ECI for the year 2016 is No voter to be left behind.
2. Union Cabinet approves signing of Air Services Agreement between India and Mozambique
1. The Union Cabinet approved signing of the Air Services Agreement between India and Mozambique.
2. Till now, there was no Air Services Agreement between India and Mozambique. In order to promote the air connectivity between the two countries, the two sides initiated the process of consultation in 2011 to finalize the text of Air Services Agreement.
3. Highlights of the Air Services Agreement
• Multiple designation of Airlines by each party.
• The designated Airline of each party can enter into cooperative marketing arrangements with the designated carriers of same party, other party and that of a Third party.
• It allows designated airlines of either countries to establish offices in the territory of other country for the promotion and sale of air services.
• The designated airlines of the two countries shall have fair and equal opportunity to operate the agreed services on specified routes.
3. Union Cabinet approves incorporation of Sagarmala Development Company
1. The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 20 July 2016 approved the incorporation of Sagarmala Development Company (SDC) under the Companies Act, 2013. It will be under the administrative control of the Ministry of Shipping.
SDC will be developed with an initial Authorized Share Capital of 1000 Crore rupees and a Subscribed Share Capital of 90 Crore rupees.
2. It will provide equity support to the project Special Purpose Vehicles (SPVs) and funding support to the residual projects under the Sagarmala Programme.
4. Union Cabinet approves amendment in Benami Transactions (Prohibition) amendment Bill, 2015
1. The Union Cabinet has given its approval for introducing amendments to the Benami Transactions (Prohibition) (Amendment) Bill, 2015. These amendments seek to strengthen Benami Transaction (Prohibition) Act, 1988 in terms of legal and administrative procedure.
2. The Bill seeks to (i) Amend the definition of benami transactions to widen the scope for legal action (ii) Specify penalties for entering into benami transactions and (iii) establish adjudicating authorities and Appellate Tribunal to deal with benami transactions.
5. Union Cabinet approves Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Bill, 2016
1. The Union Cabinet has approved The Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Bill, 2016 to protect transgenders from discrimination. Through this Bill the Union Government has evolved a holistic mechanism for the social, economic and educational empowerment of marginalized transgenders community.
2. The Bill will benefit a large number of transgender persons, mitigate the stigma, discrimination and abuse against them and also bring them into the mainstream of society. It will lead to greater inclusiveness and will make the transgender persons productive members of the society.
6. India, Japan ink Social Security Agreement
1. India and Japan have signed a Social Security Agreement (SSA) and will come into force on 1 October 2016. The SSA will benefit Indian and Japanese professionals and skilled workers working in each other’s country and will also boost bilateral business linkages.
2. The SSA will help avoid double social security contributions i.e. Indian worker on a short-term contract in Japan will be exempt from making a social security contribution there vice versa. This exemption will be provided to Indian worker, only if he is covered under the social security system of India and continues to pay his contribution during period of overseas contract.
7. NITI Aayog, Intel India ink SoI to set up Atal Tinkering Lab Initiative for young innovators
1. The NITI (National Institution for Transforming India) Aayog has signed Statement of Intent (SoI) with tech giant Intel India to set up Atal Tinkering laboratories (ATL) under the Atal Innovation Mission (AIM). The aim of Atal Tinkering laboratories is to cultivate adaptive learning and innovation skills among young minds in the country.
2. Facts Initially 10 laboratories will be established as part of total 500 laboratories. Intel India, subsidiary of US technology company Intel will invest $15 million for building and managing these 500 ATLs.