Dear Readers, we are providing Today's important current affairs of Competitive Exams specially for Bank and SSC.
Daily Current Affairs- 29 July 2016
1. Eminent writer, social activist Mahasweta Devi passes away
1. Mahasweta Devi, a colossal figure in Bengali literature and a respected social activist, passed away at Kolkata. She was 90.
2. In a literary career spanning over half-a-century, she wrote over 120 books. Most of her work centred on the lives of the poor and downtrodden.
2. James Alan McPherson, first black writer to win Pulitzer Prize in fiction, dies
1. American author James Alan McPherson passed away on 27 July 2016 in Iowa City, U.S. He was 72.McPherson was the first black author to receive the Pulitzer Prize for fiction in 1978.
3. 28 July: World Hepatitis Day
1. The World Hepatitis Day is being observed every year on July 28 around the globe to spread awareness about viral hepatitis.
2. It seeks to encourage diagnosis, prevention and treatment of Hepatitis. Provide a single global platform to raise awareness about hepatitis and influence real change in disease prevention, testing and treatment
3. 2016 Theme: “Elimination”. It focuses on elimination of hepatitis as a public health threat by 2030.
4. India-US ink $1 billion deal to buy four Poseidon-8I aircraft
1. India has signed a defence deal with United States worth over $1 billion to purchase four additional Poseidon-8I (P8I) long-range maritime surveillance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft.
2. This deal is a follow-up order to the eight P-81 aircrafts that are already bought by India in a direct deal with Boeing’s Indian subsidiary in 2009. The acquisition of additional four P-8I aircraft will give the Indian Navy much-needed punch to build up its naval surveillance capabilities.
5. Michel Barnier appointed as Chief Brexit Negotiator by European Union Commission
1. The European Union (EU’s) executive has appointed Michel Barnier, as its Chief Negotiator for the United Kingdom’s exit from the bloc. Michel Barnier is former French Financial Services Commissioner. He was appointed under Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union.
2. Michel Barnier is a French politician belonging to Union for a Popular Movement (UMP). He is Vice President of the European People’s Party (EPP). He has served as Minister for Agriculture and Fisheries in French government from June 2007 to June 2009.