Dear Readers, we are providing Today's important current affairs of Competitive Exams specially for Bank and SSC.
Daily Current Affairs- 10th August 2016
1. Judoka Silva wins first gold for host country Brazil: Rio Olympics
1. Judoka Rafaela Silva won the women’s 57kh judo gold at Rio Olympics. With this, she also won the first gold for the host country Brazil at the Olympic Games Rio 2016.
2. Silva’s win was extra special as she grew up in host city Rio de Janeiro and blossomed to become an Olympic champion despite the tough conditions of her native City of God favela.
3. Japan's Shohei Ono restored the pride of Judo's birth country by winning first Gold in 73kg category. Ono ended an anxious wait for a Japanese men's team that had not claimed Olympic gold since 2008 in Beijing.
2. Rajeev Krishnan appointed as Managing Director of Max Hypermarkets India
1. Rajeev Krishnan was appointed as the Managing Director of Max Hypermarkets in India with effect from 1 August 2016. Krishnan succeeds Viney Singh, outgoing Managing Director.
2. However, Singh will continue to be on the Board of the company as a Non-Executive Director.
3. As managing director, Krishnan will guide and direct the strategy and execution of the Hypermarket & Supermarket business of the SPAR brand in India, and will report to the board of Max Hypermarket, a franchisee of SPAR India.
3. Pawan Munjal reappointed CMD and CEO of Hero MotoCorp
1. The Board of Directors at Hero MotoCorp on 9 August 2016 reappointed Pawan Munjal as the Chairman, Managing Director (CMD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the company for a period of five years.
2. The reappointment will be effective from 1 October 2016.
Pawan’s current tenure comes to an end on 30 September 2016.
On the other hand, Hero MotoCorp appointed Vikram Kasbekar - Head of Operations & Supply Chain - to the Board of Directors of the company.
4. K M Hanumantharayappa assumes charge as Chairman of Central Silk Board
1. K M Hanumantharayappa on 9 August 2016 assumed charge as the Chairman of Central Silk Board, Union Ministry of Textiles for a period of three years. He is the 25th Chairman of the Central Silk Board.
2. He succeeds N S Bissegowda.
5. Irom Sharmila ends 16-year-long fast
1. Irom Chanu Sharmila, the Iron Lady of Manipur, ended her 16-year-long hunger strike outside the Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Medical Sciences in Imphal, Manipur.
Sharmila, 44, has been fed through nasal tube since November 2000. Moreover, she spent most of her time in judicial custody in a hospital in Imphal.
2. Moments after ending the fast, Sharmila announced that she wants to be the Chief Minister of Manipur, so that she may bring some positive changes in the state. As per her, democracy is not available in the state.
3. The Iron Lady of Manipur went on a hunger-strike at the age of 28 following a massacre in Imphal in which 10 persons were killed. Her primary demand was repealing of the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act (AFSPA) of 1958 from her state.
6. Odisha Crime Branch rescues 1051 children in first phase of Operation Muskan-2
1. Operation Muskan-2, an initiative to trace missing and destitute children and reunite them with parents, was in news in first week of August 2016. It came into news after Odisha Crime Branch in its first phase of Operation traced and rescued about 1051 children.
2. The Operation Muskan which was started on 25 July 2016 jointly by the Crime Branch in association with Women and Child Development Department has rescued these children from various places across the state.
3. The southern Odisha district Ganjam topped the list with the rescue of 93 children followed by Jajpur (87), Dhenkanal (79), Kendrapara (69) and Nayagarh (65).
7. Veteran writer-producer Panchu Arunachalam passes away
1. Veteran film producer, script and screenplay writer Panchu Arunachalam passed away 6 following brief illness. He was 75. He is survived by his wife, two daughters and two sons.
2. He introduced Ilayaraja as music director in his film Annakili and made more films starring Kamal Hassan and Rajinikanth.
8. Yesteryear Tamil actress Jyothilakshmi passes away
1. Yesteryear Tamil actress Jyothilakshmi passed away in Chennai following a brief illness. She was 63.
2. She earned fame by doing dance numbers and negative roles in Telugu, Tamil, Kannada, Malyalam and Hindi movies.
9. Dinesh Kumar Khara appointed as Managing Director of SBI
1. Dinesh Kumar Khara was appointed Managing Director (MD) of State Bank of India (SBI), India’s largest lender. His appointment was confirmed by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
2. He has been appointed for the period of three years. Prior to this appointment he was working as MD and chief executive of SBI Funds Management Pvt. Ltd.
3. Besides, ACC also appointed Ashok Kumar Garg and Raj Kamal Verma as executive directors of Bank of Baroda (BoB) and Union Bank of India (UBI), respectively. Gopal Murli Bhagat and Himanshu Joshi were also appointed as executive directors of Corporation Bank and Oriental Bank of Commerce (OBC), respectively.
10. Bill to improve road safety introduced in Lok Sabha
1. A new Motor Vehicles Bill proposing hefty penalties for violating traffic rules and streamlining the vehicle registration process was introduced in the Lok Sabha on Tuesday amid protests from the Opposition, which said its copies were not circulated to them in advance according to the usual practice.
2. The provisions of the Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill, 2016 include an increase in compensation for hit-and-run cases from Rs. 25,000 to Rs. 2 lakh, as also payment of compensation up to Rs. 10 lakh in road accident fatalities.
3. The proposed penalties include Rs. 1,000-4,000 for over-speeding, Rs. 2,000 for driving without insurance, while driving a two-wheeler without helmet would attract a fine of Rs. 2,000 and a three-month suspension of licence.