Dear Readers, we are providing Today's important current affairs of Competitive Exams specially for Bank and SSC.
Daily Current Affairs- 17th August 2016
1. The first South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) Youth Parliamentarians Conference on `Peace and Harmony for Development’ was held in Islamabad, Pakistan. The two-day (from August 16 to 18, 2016) intends to offer young Parliamentarians’ narrative as a prelude to the 19th SAARC Summit to be hosted by Pakistan in November 2016.
2. 8 parliamentary delegates from 8 SAARC member countries are participating in the conference. Lok Sabha MP Kalikesh Narayan Singh Deo, is leading the three member Indian delegation. The conference was hosted by the Pakistan National Assembly and was inaugurated by National Assembly Speaker Ayaz Sadiq. The goal of the conference is to build bridges between the future leaders of South Asia on a platform that supports continued engagement and cooperation.
2. Union Government allows Online Authentication using Aadhaar for new mobile connections
1. The Union Government has allowed online authentication using Aadhar for new mobile connections. In this regard Department of Telecom (DoT) has issued guidelines for Aadhaar Electronic-Know Your Customer (e-KYC).
2. The e-KYC seeks to make the online process of application and authentication faster and simpler for subscribers. Customer through their Aadhaar number and biometrics will online authorise UIDAI to provide demographic details. The details will include name, address, date of birth and gender, along with the digitally-signed photograph, to the mobile operator.
3. Unilever Plc acquires Swedish firm Blueair
1. Unilever, the parent company of Hindustan Unilever (HUL), acquired Swedish firm Blueair for an undisclosed sum. Blueair is a leading player in mobile air purification technology.
2. With this deal, Unilever will make its foray in air purification, a move that will complement its existing water purification business.
3. However, Blueair will continue to operate under its existing brand name in all its markets in Sweden, China, the U.S., Japan, South Korea and India. This acquisition will help widen the reach of Blueair purifiers.
4. A R Rahman honoured with Tamil Ratna Award1. Noted music composer A.R. Rahman on 15 August 2016 was honoured with the Tamil Ratna Award.
2. The award was presented by New York based Tamil Sangam.
Rahman was bestowed with the honour after his concert at the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) chamber.
3. Rahman was invited at the UNGA to perform a concert to honour M.S. Subbulakshi, the doyen of Carnatic music. The concert was sponsored by India's UN Mission and Sankara Nethralaya, a Chennai-based charity organisation.
4. The previous recipients of Tamil Ratna Award include Tamil movie director Bharathi Raja, Bharatha Natyam exponent Kamala Lakshman and Srinivasa Varadhan, the winner of the Abel Prize for mathematics.
5. Former FIFA President Joao Havelange passes away
1. Joao Havelange, former President of Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA), passed away on 16 August 2016 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. He was 100.
2. Havelange’s tenure as President was the second longest in FIFA's history, behind only that of Jules Rimet.
6. India’s first bio-CNG plant inaugurated in Pune
1. India’s first bio-CNG plant was on 13 August 2016 inaugurated in Pune, Maharashtra.
2. The plant was jointly inaugurated by Union Minister of Transport Nitin Gadkari and Union Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar.
3. Key features of the plant
• It was commissioned by the city-based Primove Engineering Private Limited.
• It will use agricultural residue to generate compressed natural gas (CNG) that can be used in automobiles as fuel.
• The technology involves treating the waste with a special bacterial solution, after which the gas so generated is cleaned and compressed for use in vehicles.
7. Najma Heptullah appointed as Governor of Manipur
1. Former Union Minister Najma Heptullah was appointed as the Governor of Manipur. With this, Heptullah will be the 18th Governor of the state.
2. Before her appointment, V Shamuganathan, the Governor of Meghalaya, was looking after the state of Manipur since September 2015.
3. Heptullah had resigned from the Union Ministry on 12 July 12 2016 as she completed 75 years of age.
4. Other Appointments
• Banwarilal Purohit was appointed as the Governor of Assam.
• VP Singh Badnore was made the Governor of Punjab.
• Prof Jagdish Mukhi was named Lieutenant Governor of Andaman and Nicobar Islands in place of Lt Gen (Retd) AK Singh.