Dear Readers, we are providing Today's important current affairs of Competitive Exams specially for Bank and SSC.
1. Maharashtra becomes first state to draft law for internal security
1. Maharashtra became the first state in the country to draft its own internal security legislation The Maharashtra Protection of Internal Security Act (MPISA), 2016. The bill has been kept public responses for suggestions and objections. Later it will be presented to the legislature for approval.
2. It gives special emphasis on maintaining law and order and combating terrorism, insurgency, caste-related violence and communalism in the state.
3. Definition of internal security: The situation posing threat to state within its borders, either caused or prompted, provoked or proxied by a hostile foreign power.
4. Special Security Zones (SSZ): Proposes setting up of SSZ where movement of arms, explosives and inflow of unaccounted funds will be prohibited.
2. India wins four-match Test Series against West Indies, 2-0
1. India won the four-match test series against West India 2-0. Fifth day's play in the fourth test in Port of Spain was called off due to rain.
2. West Indies was 62-2 in its first innings with only 22 over bowled in the entire match.
3. The draw in the last and final test helped Pakistan to be number one position in ICC Test rankings displacing India. India needed to win the fourth test to retain their top spot. Pakistan takes the top spot for the first time after its 2-2 test series draw with England.
3. The Ocean of Churn: How the Indian Ocean Shaped Human History authored by Sanjeev Sanyal
1. Sanjeev Sanyal: The Ocean of Churn: How the Indian Ocean Shaped Human History
2. A book titled The Ocean of Churn: How the Indian Ocean Shaped Human History authored by Sanjeev Sanyal was released on 10 August 2016.
3. The book narrated the history of The Indian Ocean, which stretches across East Africa, the Middle East and the Indian subcontinent to South East Asia and Australia.
4. In the book, Sanyal narrates a fascinating tale about the earliest human migrations out of Africa and the great cities of Angkor and Vijayanagar, medieval Arab empires and Chinese treasure fleets, the rivalries of European colonial powers and a new dawn.
4. Gujarat to host 2016 Kabaddi World Cup
1. The International Kabaddi Federation (IKF) on 22 August 2016 announced that the 2016 Kabaddi World Cup will be hosted in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
2. The tournament will take place from 7 October 2016 and will conclude on 22 October 2016.
3. Gujarat will play host to 12 Kabaddi teams from around the world including India, USA, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, Iran, Poland, Pakistan, and others.
4. The Kabaddi World Cup matches will be held in The Arena by TransStadia, upcoming state-of-the-art stadium in Ahmedabad.
5. Legendary journalist George E. Curry passes away
1. Legendary journalist George E. Curry, considered the ‘dean of black press columnists’, passed away on 20 August 2016 in Maryland, USA.
2. Curry mainly reported on racism, poverty and national politics for newspapers. He most recently wrote a syndicated column that ran in more than 200 black-owned newspapers.
6. Gujarat becomes 6th State to ratify GST Bill
1. The Gujarat State Assembly on Tuesday ratified the Goods and Services Tax (GST) Constitution Amendment Bill in the absence of the Opposition party Congress.
2. It has become the sixth State to pass the Bill, which requires ratification from at least 15 state legislatures before the President notifies the GST Council.
3. The Gujarat Government had convened a special two-day monsoon session of the State Assembly on Monday and Tuesday to ratify the GST Bill.
4. The GST Constitution (122nd Amendment) Bill was passed by the Lok Sabha earlier this month.
7. India is 7th most wealthiest country with $5,600 bn
1. India has figured among the top 10 wealthiest countries in the world with a total individual wealth of USD 5,600 billion while the United States topped the chart.
2. According to a report by New World Wealth, India was ranked 7th ahead of Canada (USD 4,700 billion), Australia (USD 4,500 billion) and Italy (USD 4,400 billion), which came in at 8th, 9th and 10th slots, respectively.
3. The US is the wealthiest in the world in terms of total individual wealth held (USD 48,900 billion) while China stood second and Japan third, with total individual wealth of USD 17,400 billion and USD 15,100 billion, respectively.
4. Others in the top 10 club include the United Kingdom (4) with a total individual wealth of USD 9,200 billion, followed by Germany (5th, USD 9,100 billion) and France (6th, USD 6,600 billion).