Dear Readers, we are providing Today's important current affairs of Competitive Exams specially for Bank and SSC.
Daily Current Affairs- 24th August 2016
1. BRICS countries adopt Udaipur Declaration on disaster
1. The two-day meeting of Ministers of Disaster Management (MDM) . of BRICS countries concluded in Udaipur, Rajasthan with the adoption of the Udaipur Declaration. This was the second meeting and in the follow up of the first meeting of the BRICS MDM convened by the Russia in St. Petersburg in April, 2016.
2. BRICS nations to set up a dedicated Joint Task Force for Disaster . Risk Management for regular dialogue, exchange, mutual support and collaboration among them. The meeting was a new milestone in collaboration and cooperation among BRICS countries in the field of disaster management. The roadmap for implementation of the three-year Joint Action Plan for BRICS emergency services (2016-18) was also finalised.
2. Union Government launches Accessible E-Library Sugamya Pustakalaya
1. The Union Government has launched Accessible E-Library . ‘Sugamya Pustakalaya’ for Divyang under Prime Minister’s Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan. It was jointly launched by Union Ministers Ravi Shankar Prasad, Prakash Javadekar and Thawar Chand Gehlot at a fucntion in New Delhi.
2. Sugamya Pustakalaya is an online library for Divyang and houses publications across diverse subjects and languages and multiple accessible formats. The online library has been created in collaboration with National Institute of Visually Handicapped (NIVH), member organisations of Daisy Forum of India and Bookshare and is powered by TCS Access.
3. Reliance Cement becomes subsidiary of Birla Corporation Limited
1. Reliance Infrastructure Ltd (RInfra) announced that it completed 100 percent sale of Reliance Cement Company Private Limited (RCCPL) to Birla Corporation Limited.
2. While RInfra is an entity of the Anil Ambani-headed Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group (Reliance ADAG), Birla Corp is the flagship Company of the M P Birla Group.
3. Details related to the transaction
• The transaction was in tune with the Share Purchase Agreement (SPA) that was signed between the two entities in February 2016.
• It was valued at 4800 crore rupees or 140 US dollars per tonne and the proceeds will utilised by RInfra towards debt reduction.
4. Sania Mirza becomes World No 1 in ATP Women’s Doubles Tennis rankings
1. India’s ace tennis player Sania Mirza was on 22 August 2016 topped the ATP Women’s Doubles Tennis rankings.
2. She topped the list after teaming up with new partner, Barbora Strycova of Czech Republic.
3. The new ranking also follows the victory of the pair in the Cincinnati final. To win the title, the Sania-Barbora duo defeated Martina Hingis and Coco Vandeweghe 7-5, 6-4.
4. Incidentally, Sania recently ended her partnership with Martina Hingis after three Grand Slam victories and 11 WTA doubles titles together.
5. In the recent rankings, Hingis was figured at the second sport with 10945 points behind Sania’s 11260 points.
5. Singapore’s longest serving president Sellapan Ramanathan died
1. Singapore’s former president Sellapan Ramanathan died on 22 August 2016. He was 92.
2. S R Nathan was of Indian-origin and the sixth and longest-serving President of Singapore. He was closely associated with the country’s founding leader Lee Kuan Yew.
6. President Pranab Mukherjee launches Akashvani Maitree Channel for listeners in Bangladesh
1. President Pranab Mukherjee launched Akashvani Maitree (Moitree) Channel and its multimedia website in Bengali language for listeners in West Bengal, Bangladesh and the adjoining areas. Akashvani Moitree Channel is an initiative of Kolkata Akashvani Kendra. It will provide a platform for blending content both from India and Bangladesh and preserving Bengali culture.
2. The channel will be broadcasted from a state-of-the-art brand new high power 1000Kw DRM (Digital Radio Mondiale) transmitter in Chinsurah (West Bengal). It has capacity to reach the entire length and breadth of Bangladesh through medium wave and will be also available globally on its website and mobile app for Bengali Diaspora.
7. Maharashtra becomes first state to sign MoU with Centre, AAI to develop 10 airports under RCS
1. Maharashtra Government has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Union Civil Aviation Ministry and Airports Authority of India (AAI) to develop 10 airports as part of the Centre’s Regional Connectivity Scheme.
2. The MoU was signed in the presence of Union Civil Aviation Minister Ashok Gajapathi Raju and Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis. With this Maharashtra became first state in the country to formally to provide the concessions required from the State Governments in the Regional Connectivity Scheme.
3. These 10 airports include Shirdi, Gondia, Amravati, Jalgaon, Nashik, Solapur, Nanded, Kolhapur, Ratnagiri and Sindhudurg. The MoU aims to facilitate regional air connectivity by making air travel affordable and move aviation sector in Maharashtra to next level. As per the MoU, Central Government will provide funds and also assist the Maharashtra Government in developing essential infrastructure for developing these airports.
8. Andhra Pradesh becomes first state to launch DNA profiling of criminals
1. Andhra Pradesh became the first state in the country to launch DNA Index System (DIS) for DNA (Deoxyribonucleac acid) profiling of criminals. The system uses the latest DNA technology tool (also known as RapidHIT DNA System) developed by IntegenX of United States.
2. The DNA Index System (DIS) allows generation of DNA profiles from live samples like buccal swabs, saliva and blood stains etc. It creates DNA profiles within 90 to 120 minutes compared to currently available technologies which take at least two days or more. DIS has vast potential to bring down crimes as it can create a huge database of DNA profiles of offenders. It could also help the suspects prove their innocence. With DNA in the database, repeat offenders will be easily and quickly caught which will further help to bring down crime rate.