Dear Readers, we are providing Today's important current affairs of Competitive Exams specially for Bank and SSC.
1. Sri Lankan cricketer Tillakaratne Dilshan announced retirement from International Cricket
1. Veteran Sri Lanka batsman Tillakaratne Dilshan on 25 August 2016 announced his retirement from international cricket.
He will play his last ODI in Dambulla on 28 August 2016 against Australia (third of the five-match series). He will play his last T20 international in Colombo on 9 September 2016.
2. Dilshan, who is most famous for inventing the Dilscoop, had already retired from Test cricket in 2013. He played 87 Tests and scored 5492 runs at 40.98, and also picked 39 Test wickets. Dilscoop is a process of hitting the ball behind the keeper. He also was a Test wicket-keeper.
2. Union Minister Maneka Gandhi launches POCSO e-box
1. Women and Child Development Minister Maneka Sanjay Gandhi on 26 August 2016 launched Protection of Children from Sexual Offenses, POCSO e-box, in New Delhi.
2. POCSO e-box is a platform where a child victim of sexual abuse can report such cases online. It is initiative of National Commission for Protection of Child Rights, for direct online reporting of child sexual abuse.
3. Key Highlights
• The e-Box is an online complaint management system for easy and direct reporting of sexual offences against children and timely action against the offenders under the POCSO Act, 2012.
• It is incorporated on the home page of National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) website http://ncpcr.gov.in/.
• To register complain, a complainant will have to push a button named POSCO e-Box, which will navigate him/her to a page where he/she will have to select at least one picture option (describing the category of harassment).
3. PM announces Task Force to prepare action Plan for next three Olympics Games
1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 26 August 2016 announced the decision to set up a task force to prepare action Plan for the next three Olympics Games. The task force will be set up over the next few days.
2. The announcement was made at the meeting of the Council of Ministers in New Delhi.
3. The task force will prepare a comprehensive action plan for effective participation of Indian sports persons in the Olympic Games to be held in 2020, 2024 and 2028. The 2020 Olympic Games will be held in Tokyo.
4. The task force comprising members in house as well as outside experts will prepare overall strategy for sports facility, training, selection procedure and other related matters.
4. Maharashtra Government unveils Mumbai-Nagpur Super Communication Expressway project
1. Maharashtra Government has unveiled ambitious Mumbai-Nagpur Super Communication Expressway project in Mumbai. The 46,000-crore rupee ambitious project will create state-of-the art road connectivity within a period of three years and give a fillip to investment in the state.
2. Mumbai-Nagpur Super Communication Expressway project will be implemented by Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation (MSRDC). The project aims to create state-of-the art road connectivity within a period of three years and give a fillip to investment in the state. It will be a six-lane super communication highway covering a distance of 750 km through 10 districts. It will connect entire breadth of Maharashtra
5. Union Government constitutes Committee to suggest steps to promote card payments
1. The Union Finance Ministry has constituted 11 members high-level committee to suggest steps to promote card payments with an aim to discourage cash transactions. The 11-member committee will be headed by Principle Adviser for social sector in NITI Aayog and former Finance Secretary Ratan P Watal.
2. Recommend various measures to incentivise transactions through cards and digital means, e.g., through tax incentives/rebates, introduction of cash back/lottery. Review the payments system in the country and recommend measures for encouraging digital payments. Study and recommend need for changes, if any, in the regulatory mechanism under various laws, relevant for the purpose of promotion of payments by digital modes.
6. US to create world’s largest protected marine area off Hawaii
1. United States is going to create world’s largest protected marine reserve area named as Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument off the Hawaiian coast. It will be created by expansion of present national monument off Hawaii. US President Barck Obama will use his power to expand this national monument.
2. With this expansion, the Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument will now span to 582,578 square miles. Thus, it quadruples in the size from present size. The expansion will further help to protect more than 7,000 species and improves an ecosystem dealing with ocean acidification and warming.
7. Pakistan to host 19th SAARC Summit in Islamabad
1. Pakistan is going to host the 19th SAARC (South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation) Summit in Islamabad (capital city) and Murree on November 9 and 10, 2016. It will be the meeting of the head of states or head of government of the eight SAARC countries. Besides, nine observers of SAARC have also been invited to attend the Summit.
2. The 19th SAARC Summit was held in Kathmandu, Nepal in November 2014 with the theme Deeper Integration for Peace and Prosperity. It had focused on enhancing connectivity between the member states for easier transit-transport across the region.
8. World’s first self-driving taxis launched in Singapore
1. The world’s first self-driving taxi service was launched in Singapore. This launch is significant as it offer technology demonstration that could revolutionize the future transport industry. 2. The self-driving taxi service was launched Singapore based nuTonomy, an autonomous vehicle software startup. With this nuTonomy became entity in the world first to offer self-driving taxi rides to the public.