Dear Readers, we are providing Today's important current affairs of Competitive Exams specially for Bank and SSC.
Daily Current Affairs- 5th August 2016
1. Nita Ambani becomes first Indian woman IOC member
1. Noted sports promoter and founder chairperson of Reliance Foundation, Nita Ambani was elected as an individual member of International Olympic Committee (IOC) on 4 August 2016. She was elected by IOC members at the 129th Session of the world body in Rio de Janeiro.
2. With this, she also becomes the first Indian woman to join the prestigious body which governs Olympic sports in the world.
3. Nita, the owner of Mumbai Indians cricket team franchise and founder of Indian Super League football tournament, was nominated for the post in June 2016 by the IOC Executive Board. 4. 52-year-old Nita is the only current active individual member of the IOC from India and she will serve at the high-profile world body until she attains the age of 70.
5. Sir Dorabji Tata was the first person to represent India in the IOC. Raja Randhir Singh is currently holding the post of an honorary member after serving the international body from 2000-2014.
2. Nobel Prize-winning Egyptian chemist Ahmed Zewail passes away
1. Ahmed Zewail, the Egyptian-American scientist who won Nobel Chemistry Prize in 1999, died in the United States . He was 70.
2. He won the noble for his pioneering work in femtochemistry, the study of chemical reactions in ultra-short time scales approximately 10−15 seconds (one femtosecond, hence the name).
3. Aadhaar-linked e-Signature facility launched to digitise documents
1. Online legal documentation startup LegalDesk.com launched the electronic signing feature eSignDesk that allows people to sign documents digitally from remote places.
2. With over a billion Aadhaar cardholders and about 25 million transactions taking place every quarter, digital signatures are expected to save time, money and paper.
3. Highlights of the eSignDesk Facility
• Built on the Aadhaar platform, eSign is an initiative of the Union Government and meant to save money and time for citizens.
• Its users need to have a registered mobile number associated with the Aadhaar card.
• The service will be available on www.eSignDesk.com and will be offered for free to the first 1000 users.
• The documents signed electronically will be legally valid in the country.
• The e-signature deters fraud to a large extent as it cannot be replicated or forged, and the content of the document cannot be tampered with.
4. Youssef Chahed appointed as Prime Minister of Tunisia
1. Tunisia's President Beji Caid Essebsi on 3 August 2016 named Youssef Chahed as the Prime Minister of the country. Chahed's appointment came after parliament ousted Habib Essid in a vote of no-confidence because of his handling of economic reforms and security.
2. Prior to this, Chahed was Minister for Local Affairs of Tunisia. He is an agricultural sciences specialist and academic who has taught in France and Tunisia.
5. Rajya Sabha passes The Constitution (122nd Amendment) (GST) Bill, 2014
1. Rajya Sabha passed The Constitution (122nd Amendment) (GST) Bill, 2014 to introduce the goods and services tax (GST). The passage of this historic GST Bill has now paved the way for the concept of one nation, one tax.
2. It will enable both the Centre and the States to simultaneously levy the GST, which will subsume all indirect taxes currently levied, including excise duties and service tax. It will be levied on consumption rather than production.
3. The Bill was introduced and passed in Lok Sabha in May 2015. However, the bill will now go back to the Lok Sabha to incorporate the amendments approved by the Rajya Sabha.
6. Assamese writer Mahim Bora dead
1. Eminent Assamese litterateur Mahim Bora died due to old age problems in a private nursing home here, his family sources said. He was 92.
2. He was admitted to the nursing home yesterday after his health condition deteriorated at his home in Nagaon district.
3. Bora was a Padma Shri and Sahitya Akademi winner and is survived by a son and two daughters—in—law.His wife and another son had predeceased him.
4. A prolific short story writer and a poet, Bora had received the Sahitya Akademi award for his most popular work ’Edhani Mahir Hanhi’ in 2001.
5. He received Padma Shri in 2011 and the Assam Valley Literary award in 1998.
7. Vijay Rupani named Gujarat chief minister
1. Vijay Rupani will take over as the new chief minister of Gujarat. Nitin Patel+ will be the deputy chief minister of Gujarat. The oath taking ceremony will take place on Sunday, 7 August, 2016.
2. Rupani was picked for the state's top job by party MLAs at a meeting on Friday. The meeting saw the participation of BJP president Amit Shah+ and senior leader Nitin Gadkari as observers.