Dear Readers, we are providing Today's important current affairs of Competitive Exams specially for Bank and SSC.
1. Sandeep Kumar appointed as Transport Commissioner of Delhi
1. Sandeep Kumar was on 8 August 2016 appointed as the Transport Commissioner of Delhi. He succeeded Sanjay Kumar, who was appointed as the commissioner a few months ago.
2. Sandeep will take on the role of the Commissioner as an additional charge. He is also the Managing Director of Delhi Khadi and Village Industries Board.
2. Yoga guru TKV Desikachar passes away
1. Renowned Yoga Guru TKV Desikachar passed away following a brief illness in Chennai. He was 78. He was known for transforming the way yoga was practised and turned it into both a wellness concept and a therapy.
2. About TKV Desikachar
• Desikachar is son of T Krishnamacharya, popularly acknowledged as the father of modern yoga.
• He dabbled with engineering before he learnt yoga from his father.
3. Former RBI Deputy Governor Anand Sinha appointed to the IDFC Bank board
1. Former RBI Deputy Governor Anand Sinha was appointed to the Board of IDFC Bank. Sinha will join Bank as an Additional Director in the category of Independent Director on the board with effect from 1 August 2016.
2. His appointment came after Vinod Rai resigned after serving on the board for a year. Rai is a former Comptroller and Auditor General of India who served as a Nominee Director representing IDFC Limited on the board of IDFC Bank.
3. However, Rai will still continue to be non-executive independent chairman of IDFC Limited.
4. Kalikho Pul, former Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh, dies
1. Kalikho Pul, who briefly served as Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister, died in Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh. He was 47.
2. Pul allegedly committed suicide. He was found hanged from the ceiling fan in his bedroom at the Chief Minister’s official residence. However, the circumstances behind the death are still not clear.
5. International Day of the World's Indigenous Peoples observed with theme Right to Education
1. International Day of the World's Indigenous Peoples was observed on 9 August 2016 with theme Indigenous Peoples' Right to Education.
2. The day was founded by the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) on 23 December 1994 with adoption of resolution 49/214 proclaiming that the International Day of the World's Indigenous People shall be observed annually on 9 August. The date marks the day of the first meeting, in 1982, of the UN Working Group on Indigenous Populations of the Sub-Commission on the Promotion and Protection of Human Rights.
6. Parliament passes The Constitution (122nd Amendment) (GST) Bill, 2014
1. The Parliament passed The Constitution (122nd Amendment) (GST) Bill, 2014 after it was unanimously passed by the Lok Sabha by approved all the amendments made by Rajya Sabha.
2. The bill now will go states (15 out of total 29 states) for approval as per Article 368 of Constitution as it constitutional amendment bill dealing with changes in the features of fiscal federalism. The passage of bill will pave the way for the roll out of Goods and Services Tax (GST) i.e. uniform taxation regime across the country.
7. RBI keeps policy rates unchanged in 3rd bi-monthly monetary policy review
1. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) in its third bi-monthly monetary policy review for year 2016-17 has maintained status quo in key policy interest rate. It was last bi-monthly monetary policy review of RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan who will step down in September 2016 after completing his term.
2. Policy Rates
Repo rate under the liquidity adjustment facility (LAF): unchanged at 6.50 per cent.
Reverse repo rate under the LAF: unchanged at 6.0 per cent. Marginal standing facility (MSF) rate:00 per cent.
Reserve Ratios Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR) of scheduled banks: Unchanged at 4.0 per cent of net demand and time liability (NDTL). Statutory Liquidity Ratio (SLR): Unchanged at 21.25 per cent.
8. PM Narendra Modi releases theme song for Tiranga Yatra to mark 70 years of Independence
1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has released a theme song for Tiranga Yatra to be organised to mark 70 years of Independence Day. The theme song 70 Saal Azadi Yaad Karo Kurbani has been composed by Dr. Ghazal Srinivas.
2. Tiranga Yatra will be organised from 16 to 23 August 2016 across the country to mark 70 years of Independence. It will be the symbol of social harmony and unity in the country. The Yatra will spread the message of harmony and also highlight the contributions of freedom fighters and martyrs among the school children during the celebration.