Dear Readers, Read Daily Current Affairs for All Exams- 14th September 2016. It will help in General Awareness Section.
1. National Hindi Divas observed across India
1. National Hindi Divas (Hindi Day) was observed across India on 14 September 2016. The day was observed to promote the Matra Bhasha – the mother tongue of India and show its importance as a language in the country and the world at large.
2. As a part of Hindi Diwas Samaroh, a special function named ‘Hindi Hain Hum’ was also organised at the PHD Chamber of Commerce in Delhi.
3. On the occasion of Hindi Divas, the President of India, Pranab Mukherjee presented Rajbhasa awards in various categories at a function held at Rashtrapati Bhavan. These awards were instituted by the Rajbhasha Vibhag, Ministry of Home Affairs to recognize the excellent contribution of Ministries, Departments and Nationalized Banks and others in the field of Hindi.
2. Indian Railways Men Hockey Team wins MCC Murugappa Gold Cup Hockey Tournament
1. Indian Railways Men Hockey Team on 11 September 2016 won the MCC Murugappa Gold Cup Hockey Tournament 2016 in Chennai. It is for the first time that Indian Railways clinched the title.
In the finals, Indian Railways Hockey Team defeated Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) Team by 2 - 1.
2. As the winning team, Indian Railways takes home the prize money of 5 lakhs rupees, and the runner-up team Indian Oil Corporation receives 2.50 lakhs rupees.
3. Javelin thrower Devendra Jhajharia wins gold at Rio Paralympics
1. Javelin thrower Devendra Jhajharia on 13 September 2016 became the first Indian to clinch two gold medals at the Paralympics. He broke his own world record to clinch the medals at the Rio Games.
2. Jhajharia, who won his previous gold in the 2004 Athens Games, bettered his own world record to finish on top in the men’s F46 event.
3. Jhajharia’s previous best was 62.15 metres, which he had achieved in the 2004 Games. In the 2016 Rio Paralympics, he improved the mark with an attempt of 63.97 metres.
4. World No. 1 Chunliang Guo from China won the silver medal in the event. Sri Lanka’s Herath Priyantha grabbed the bronze.
India now has two gold, one silver and one bronze in the ongoing edition of the Paralympics Games.
4. China, Vietnam agreed to properly manage differences over South China Sea
1. China and Vietnam agreed to properly manage their differences over territorial disputes in the South China Sea and safeguard stability. This followed as an international tribunal rejected the Chinese claims over the region on a petition brought before it by the Philippines.
2. The agreement was reached after talks between Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc and his Chinese premier Li Keqiang in Beijing. Phuc's visit to China is the first by a top Vietnamese leader after the tribunal verdict on 12 July 2016. The Chinese Prime Minister is known as Premier.
5. Sushmita Rai wins Bronze at World Martial Arts Masterships
1. Sikkim’s Sushmita Rai in the second week of September 2016 won a bronze medal at the recently concluded World Martial Arts Masterships 2016, which was held at Cheongju, Chungcheongbuk-do of South Korea.
2. The competition is considered an Olympics for martial arts with 2073 participants from 87 countries.
3. The World Martial Arts Masterships was the first comprehensive martial arts competition where national teams from across the globe took part.
6. 3rd BRICS Urbanisation Forum Meet begins in Vishakhapatnam
1. The third edition of BRICS Urbanisation Forum Meet has started in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh. The three days conference was be inaugurated by Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu in the presence of Union Minister of Urban Development, M. Venkaiah Naidu.
2. In this edition of conference the delegates from the BRICS nations, Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa are participating. During the three-day deliberations, they will discuss investments, urbanisation, formation of new cities and others.