Dear Readers, we are presenting Daily Current Affairs for All Exams- 20th September 2016.
|Daily Current Affairs for All Exams- 20th September 2016.|
1. HRD Minister inaugurates Super Computer PARAM-ISHAN at IIT Guwahati
1. Union Human Resource Development Minister Prakash Javadekar inaugurated the super computer PARAM ISHAN at IIT Guwahati campus.
2. Students and faculty members of IIT Guwahati are expected to derive huge benefit from the facility.
3. It has been jointly developed by IIT Guwahati and Centre for Development of Advanced Computing, C -DAC.
4. PARAM ISHAN has the power of 250 Teraflops and 300 terabyte capacity and can be used in the application areas like computational chemistry, computational fluid dynamics, computational electromagnetic, civil engineering structures, nana-block self assemble, optimization and others.
2. India successfully test fires long range surface-to-air Barak-8 missile off Odisha coast
1. India successfully test-fired the most advanced surface-to-air missile 'Barak-8' off the Odisha coast. The long-range nuclear capable ballistic missile, developed jointly with Israel, was launched from a mobile launcher at the Integrated Test Range in Chandipur in Balasore district.
2. The 4.5-meter missile weighs around 3 tonnes and can carry a payload of 70 kilograms. The system also includes a Multi-Functional Surveillance and Threat Alert Radar (MF STAR) for detection, tracking and guidance of the missile.
3. BCCI partners Janalakshmi Financial Services for three years
1. The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) tied up with financial services firm Janalakshmi Financial Services (Jana) as an associate sponsor.
2. Janalakshmi will be the official financial services partner of the BCCI where the brand would enjoy visibility on the field.
3. The agreement also gives Janalakshmi benefits of prominence in stadium branding and on-ground advertising for 68 matches in three years across the three formats.
4. Russia: Ruling United Russia party wins parliamentary election
1. President Vladimir Putin’s United Russia party on 19 September 2016 won the Russian parliamentary election by securing 343 seats of the total 450 in Duma, the lower house of Parliament. This win, paves the way for Putin to run for a fourth term as President.
2. Central Election Commission said, Communist Party and Liberal Democratic Party with about 14 percent each are in second and third place, while A Just Russian party gained about 6 percent of the votes. No other party has overcome the 5 percent threshold for entry into the parliament by party tickets.
5. World leaders adopt New York Declaration at UNGA Summit for Refugees and Migrants
1. The World Leaders adopted the New York Declaration at the opening of the United Nations General Assembly's (UNGA) first-ever Summit for Refugees and Migrants.
2. The delegations adopted the landmark Declaration containing bold commitments to address current issues and to prepare the world for future challenges, including, to start negotiations leading to the adoption of a global compact for safe, orderly and regular migration in 2018.
Highlights of the New York Declaration
• Protect the human rights of all refugees and migrants, regardless of status. This includes the rights of women and girls and promoting their full, equal and meaningful participation in finding solutions.
• Ensure that all refugee and migrant children are receiving education within a few months of arrival.
• Prevent and respond to sexual and gender-based violence.
6. Cauvery Supervisory Committee directs Karnataka to release 3000 cusecs of water per day for 10 days
1. The Cauvery Supervisory Committee headed by Shashi Shekhar directed Karnataka to release 3000 cusecs of water per day to Tamil Nadu. As per the committee’s direction, Karnataka will have to release 3000 cusecs water per day from 21 to 30 September 2016 to Tamil Nadu.
2. The other members of the committee are Chief Secretaries of Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Kerala and Puducherry and Central Water Commission chairman. It will once again meet in October 2016.
3. It seems that the decision of the committee will go in vain as no consensus was reached between the two states regarding the release of water. Karnataka had opposed the release of water due to ground reality and drinking water problems in the state.
7. Indian Railways launches Yatri Mitra Sewa to help elderly, differently-abled
1. Indian Railways has launched launched ‘Yatri Mitra Sewa’ in a move to make rail travel comfortable for elderly, differently-abled and ailing travellers.
2. The ‘Yatri Mitra Sewa’ will facilitate access to wheelchairs, battery operated cars and porter services elderly, differently-abled and ailing travellers.
3. ‘Passenger Friend’ or ‘Yatri Mitra’ can be assistant (Sahayak) or any other person nominated for the purpose. The service will be available at major railway stations across the country.
4. The service can be availed at the time of online booking of tickets, calling or messaging ‘139’, accessing an app developed by the Centre for Railway Information Systems (CRIS).
8. Anandi Ramalingam assumed charge as BEL’s first woman director
1. Anandi Ramalingam has assumed charge as Director Marketing of the Public sector Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL).
2. With this she becomes first woman to be appointed as the Director of the company. Prior to this appointment, she was the general manager heading the Military Communication Strategic Business Unit (SBU) at BEL’s Bengaluru Complex.