Dear Readers, we are presenting Daily Current Affairs for All Exams- 25th September 2016.
|Daily Current Affairs for All Exams- 25th September 2016|
1. Japan to host 2026 Asian Games
1. Japan’s Aichi prefecture and its capital city Nagoya were confirmed as co-hosts of the 2026 Asian Games today, adding yet another major event to the country’s bulging international sports calendar.
2. The Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) formally endorsed the bid after Aichi Prefecture governor Hideaki Ohumra and Nagoya city mayor Takashi Kawamura presented their joint offering to the OCA General Assembly in Danang, which is currently hosting the fifth Asian Beach Games.
3. The OCA had originally planned to choose the 2026 Asian Games host in 2018 but brought the vote forward to provide some stability to the region’s crammed sporting calendar which includes three Olympic events over the next eight years.
4. South Korea is already hosting the Winter Olympics at Pyeonchang in 2018, while Tokyo hosts the 2020 Summer Olympics before the winter games go to Beijing in 2022.
5. Held every four years, the 2018 Asian Games have already been awarded to the Indonesian cities of Jakarta and Palembang while the 2022 edition will be held in the Chinese city of Hangzhou.
6. Tokyo is also hosting the next Olympic games in 2020 while Japan will stage the Rugby World Cup in 2019, the Asian Winter Games in 2017 and the world swimming championships in 2021.
2. Arun Goyal appointed Additional Secretary in GST Council
1. Senior IAS officer Arun Goyal has been appointed as Additional Secretary in the Goods and Services Tax (GST) Council.
2. The Council, headed by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, is mandated to decide on tax rate, exempted goods and the threshold limit.
3. The Appointments Committee of Cabinet has approved Goyal’s appointment against the newly created post, an order issued by the Department of Personnel and Training said.
3. Ashwin is fastest Indian to 200 wickets in Tests
1. Off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin on Sunday became the fastest Indian and second overall to take 200 wickets, reaching the milestone in his 37th Test. He trapped New Zealand skipper Kane Williamson in front to get to the 200-mark on day four of the first Test at the Green Park.
2. With this feat, Ashwin left behind the likes of Dennis Lillee and Waqar Younis, who took 38 Tests to get to 200 wickets. South African pacer Dale Steyn took 39 Tests to reach the landmark.
3. Only leg-spinner Clarrie Grimmett, the fastest to get to 200 wickets, achieved the feat in 36 Tests.
4. ftCash, ICICI Bank team up to launch UPI for micro-merchants
1. Mobile payments and loans start-up ftcash, backed by IvyCap Ventures, is the first fintech start-up to launch Unified Payment Interface (UPI) for merchants in association with ICICI Bank.
2. ftcash is a virtual POS for micro-merchants to accept payments through credit cards, debit cards, and wallets such as Freecharge, Mobikwik, and PayPal, among others.
5. Sania Mirza-Barbora Strycova crowned women’s doubles champions at Pan Pacific Open
1. India’s Sania Mirza along with her partner Barbora Strycova from Czech Republic produced a straight sets win over China’s Chen Liang and Zhaoxuan Yang in the final to win the women’s doubles titles at Toray Pan Pacific Open in Tokyo on 24 September 2016.
2. The current tournament in Tokyo is Sania’s 40th doubles title win and third in Tokyo.