Daily Current Affairs -8th September 2016
1. President gives assent to the Constitution (122nd Amendment) (GST) Bill, 2014
1. President Pranab Mukherjee has given assent to the Constitution (122nd Amendment) (GST) Bill, 2014 as per Article 111 of the Constitution. With the assent, bill becomes law and opens road to roll out a new indirect tax regime and gives way for the concept of one nation, one tax.
2. The assent to the Bill will pave the way for setting up a GST Council that will decide the tax rate, cess and surcharges. The Union Government will notify the GST Council.
3. It will be headed by Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley and it will comprise state Finance Ministers. Now the Central and State Governments will pass the Central GST, Integrated GST and State GST laws respectively.
2. Integration of DigiLocker with Driving Licenses & Vehicle Registration Certificates launched
1. The Union Government has launched a new service -integration of DigiLocker with Driving Licenses (DL) & Vehicle Registration Certificates (RC). It was jointly launched by Union Minister of Road Transport & Highways and Shipping Nitin Gadkari and Union Minister of Electronics & Information Technology and Law & Justice Ravi Shankar Prasad in New Delhi.
2. With this integration people will no longer need to carry around physical copies of their Driving Licences and RCs. Using DigiLocker mobile app, they can instead access digital copies of the same on their mobile phones.
3. Besides, DLs and VRC documents will be now issued directly to the DigiLockers of individuals in digital formats. These digital copies also can be shared with other government departments as identity and address proof.
3. 08 September: International Literacy Day
1. The International Literacy Day is being observed 08 September every year to emphasize the importance of literacy to individuals, society and communities This year, the world is celebrating 50th International Literacy Day. The day was established in 1966 by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
2. 2016 Theme: ‘Reading the Past, Writing the Future‘. In India to observe this day, several functions have been planned by the National Literacy Mission Authority.
3. The National Literacy Mission (NLM) was initiated by the government in 1988 with the objective of eradicating illiteracy.
4. India, Kazakhstan Joint Exercise PRABAL DOSTYK-16 begins
1. India, Kazakhstan joint bilateral military exercise PRABAL DOSTYK-16 began in Karaganda region of Kazakhstan. The fourteen day (till 17 September 2016) will be a significant step towards fostering military as well as diplomatic ties between both countries. ‘Prabal Dostyk’ means ‘Robust Friendship’
2. In this edition of exercise, Indian Army is being represented by a platoon strength and the Kazakhstan Army is represented by platoon from Special Operating Force’s Unit. The primary aim of exercise will be to enhance interoperability while undertaking Counter Terrorism & Counter Insurgency Operations in rural & semi-urban environment under the umbrella of United Nations.
5. Govt launches ‘e-nivaran’ to resolve I-T grievances
1. CBDT has launched the ambitious ’e-nivaran’ facility for online redressal of taxpayers’ grievances related to refunds, ITRs and PAN among others as part of its initiative to reduce instances of harassment of the public when it comes to complaints related to the I-T department.
2. An exclusive ‘e-nivaran’ (electronic resolution) link has recently been activated on the e-filing portal of the department - https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in - where taxpayers can register their complaints through their personal computer systems and receive a special PIN number on their registered mobile and email, as their unique number to keep track of the issue.
3. The ‘e-nivaran’ module, a senior official said, will work on the lines of the internet-based Income Tax Returns (ITRs) filing system and taxpayers can register all complaints related to delay in refunds, filing of e-returns, Tax Deducted at Source (TDS), PAN issues, and those pertaining to their Assessing Officer (AO).
6. Just Dial gets RBI’s in-principle nod for its prepaid wallet
1. Local search engine Just Dial today said it has got in-principle nod from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) for launching its prepaid wallet.
2. The company has received a letter dated September 6, 2016, from Reserve Bank of India granting in-principle approval for issuing and operating payment system for semi closed pre-paid payment instrument service.
7. ISRO successfully launches advanced weather satellite INSAT-3DR
1. The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) successfully launched its advanced weather satellite INSAT-3DR at 4.50 pm today from Satish Dhawan Space Centre. Earlier, the satellite was to lift off at 1610 hours. But it was delayed by 40 minutes, according to the sources.
2. GSLV-F05 is the flight in which the indigenously developed Cryogenic Upper Stage (CUS), will be carried on-board for the fourth time during a GSLV flight.
3. GSLV-F05 in its 10th flight has launched the 2,211 kg advanced weather satellite INSAT-3DR into Geostationary Transfer Orbit (GTO). INSAT-3DR will provide a variety of meteorological services to the country.
4. ISRO had launched advanced weather satellite INSAT - 3D on July 26, 2013 from French Guiana.
5. INSAT 3DR would join the operational Search and Rescue service provided by INSAT 3D to various users, including Coast Guard, Airport Authority of India, Shipping, Defence Services.