1. India, 10 South-east Asian countries decided to set up fund for health emergencies in region
1. India along with 10 other member countries of WHO's South-East Asian Regional Committee on 9 September 2016 decided to set up a dedicated fund aimed at building preparedness for health emergencies in the region.
2. The joint funding stream will be established under the South-East Asia Regional Health Emergency Fund (SEARHEF).
3. The decision was made at the 69th session of WHO Regional Committee Meeting held at Colombo, Sri Lanka. The decision would help the member countries to invest in human resources and infrastructure at times of emergencies, as it is one of the most disaster-prone regions.
September CA eBook
4. In addition, the member countries also passed a resolution for promoting physical activity and expanding health workforces across the region. Insufficient physical activity is a major contributor to rising rates of non-communicable diseases in the region, with four-fifth of adolescents not getting enough of it.
2. CBDT launches e-nivaran to resolve Income Tax grievances
1. Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) launched e-nivaran (electronic resolution) facility for online redressal of taxpayers’ grievances. The grievances can be related to refunds, Income Tax Returns (ITRs), Tax Deducted at Source (TDS), and Permanent Account Number (PAN) among others.
2. It was started with an aim to reduce instances of harassment of the public when it comes to complaints related to the Income Tax (IT) department. It will be available on the e-filing portal (http://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in) of the department.
• It will help taxpayers in registering their complaints through their computer and receive a special PIN number on their registered mobile number and email, which will help to keep track on the issues.
• It will also allow the complainant to track the progress of the complaint.
• People can lodge their complains and upload the documents related to the same in form od a PDF file and clubbed as a ZIP file.
3. Bakytzhan Sagintayev appointed as the Prime Minister of Kazakhstan
1. Bakytzhan Sagintaev appointed as Prime minister of Kazakhstan by Kazakhstan President Nursultan Nazarbayev on September 9,2016.
2. Kazakhstan, a Central Asian country and former Soviet republic
4. Jamie Murray-Bruno Soares win US Open doubles title
1. Great Britain’s Jamie Murray and Brazil's Bruno Soares won their second Grand Slam doubles title, defeating Spaniards Pablo Carreño Busta and Guillermo García-López 6-2, 6-3.
2. This was Murray’s 3rd doubles slam title of his career, and 2nd with Bruno Soares, with the pair winning the Australian Open earlier this year.
5. Vietnam wins 1st Paralympic gold with world record
1. Vietnam won its first-ever Paralympic gold medal after para weightlifter Le Van Cong lifted 183 kgs, to set a new world record at the event.
2. Vietnam also ended its six-decade-long wait for an Olympic gold last month in Rio with a record-breaking performance by shooter Hoang Xuan Vinh in the 10-metre air pistol shooting event.
6. Real Madrid secures 15th straight La Liga win
1. Real Madrid registered a 5-2 win over Osasuna in the La Liga, marking a 15th straight league win. Thereby equalling their longest winning streak in Spain. Ronaldo
7. Yoga guru Ramdev sets up mega food park in Nagpur
1. Renowned Yog Guru and founder of Patanjali group Baba Ramdev has laid the foundation stone of his dream project Patanjali Mega Food and Herbal Park in Mihan area which is located at outskirts of Nagpur.
2. He announced that Patanjali group will give soft loans to farmers in the area for producing various agro products.
8. Angelique Kerber wins US Open Tennis tournament
1. German professional tennis player Angelique Kerber won her first U.S. Open title and the second Grand Slam trophy of her breakthrough season. The German defeated Karolina Pliskova 6-3, 4-6, 6-4.