Daily Current Affairs- 1st September 2016
1. Michel Temer sworn in as President of Brazil
1. Michel Temer, Brazil's former Vice President, was on 31 August 2016 sworn in as the President of Brazil. Temer is expected to stay in power until the next scheduled election in late 2018.
2. His appointment came following the removal of Dilma Rousseff from the office through the Senators' voting.
Senators voted 61-20 to convict Rousseff for illegally using money from state banks to boost public spending, an act seen as a leading factor behind the massive 60 billion US dollars deficit, the worst recession being faced by Brazil, leaving millions of people out of work.
2. 2016 BRICS Convention on Tourism begins in Madhya Pradesh
1.The 2016 BRICS Convention on Tourism has begun at UNESCO World heritage site Khajuraho in Madhya Pradesh to promote intra-regional tourism. The two day convention was inaugurated by Union Minister of State (MoS) for Tourism and Culture.
2. The convention has been organised as a precursor to the BRICS Summit to be held in Goa in October 2016.
3. Union Government constitutes AK Sinha Committee to study silt in river Ganga in Bihar
1. The Union Government has constituted four member expert committee to study slit in river Ganga in Bihar. The team will be headed by member of Ganga Flood Control commission A .K. Sinha. The committee will submit its report within 10 days.
2. The committed has been constituted based on outcome of meeting Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar. Bihar CM had requested PM to send an expert team to study silt in Ganga which caused devastating prevailing flood in the state.
4. Bezwada Wilson, TM Krishna receive 2016 Magsaysay Award
1. Carnatic singer Thodur Madabusi Krishna and Bezwada Wilson, campaigner for eradication of manual scavenging, on 31 August 2016 received the prestigious Ramon Magsaysay Award 2016.
2. They were among six persons who received the award. Four others who received the award are: Conchita Carpio-Morales of the Philippines, Dompet Dhuafa of Indonesia, Japan Overseas Cooperation Volunteers and Vientiane Rescue of Laos.
5. Dhingra Commission submits its report to Haryana Chief Minister
1. Justice SN Dhingra Commission set up on 31 August 2016 by the Haryana government submitted its report to the Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal. It hinted at irregularities.
2. The commission was set up in May 2015 to probe the circumstances of grant or rejection of licences for development of colonies, group housing societies and commercial complexes in Gurgaon.
3. Highlights of the Report
• The 182-page report has two parts of which the first part contains the findings and the second contains evidence.
• The report elaborates the manner adopted to commit irregularities and the people behind it.
• The Commission has reportedly examined more than 200 cases of grant of Change of Land Use (CLU) licences.
The scope of the Dhingra commission was expanded in August 2015 and it was asked to probe grant of all licenses to colonisers and individuals in four villages of Gurgaon, namely Shikohpur, Sikanderpur, Badah and Kherki Dhaula, by the previous Congress government in Haryana
6. Defence Ministry sanctioned construction of National War Memorial, War Museum in New Delhi
1. The Union Defence Ministry has sanctioned the construction of a National War Memorial and National War Museum in New Delhi.
The National War Memorial will honour the memory of all soldiers of the Indian Armed Forces who have made the ultimate sacrifice for the nation.
2. The National War Museum will combine architectural aesthetics and public sentiment. It will serve as a place for people to show their respect for soldiers, for their extraordinary efforts.
The selected site of the memorial is located in the heart of New Delhi, within the C-Hexagon that lies in the close vicinity of India Gate and Chattri.
7. Sudarsan Pattnaik wins prize in Moscow sand art show
1. India's Sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik has won the people's choice prize for his sand sculpture titled "Mahatma Gandhi - World Peace" at the ninth Moscow Sand Sculpture Championship 2016.
2. Sudarsan has already won a gold medal for the 15-foot-high sculpture.