1. K K Aggarwal elected as National President of IMA
1. Cardiologist K K Aggarwal was on 2 September 2016 unanimously . elected as the National President of the Indian Medical Association (IMA) for the year 2016-17. Aggarwal is currently the Secretary General of the IMA.
2. Moreover, the association also elected Dr Ravi Wankhedkar from . Maharashtra as the National President for the year 2017-18 and Dr R N Tandon as Honorary Secretary General. All these appointments will be effective from 28 December 2016.
2. International Day of Charity observed globally
1. The International Day of Charity was on 5 September 2016 observed globally with an aim to recognise the role of charity in alleviating human suffering within and among nations, as well as of the efforts of charitable organizations and individuals including the work of Mother Teresa.The day was first celebrated in 2013.
3. Odisha Government launches Biju Kanya Ratna Yojana
1. The Odisha Government on 3 September 2016 launched the Biju Kanya Ratna Yojana (BKRY) in three districts of the state.
The scheme was launched for the development of girls.
The scheme will be implemented for three years in Ganjam, Dhenkanal and Angul districts on a pilot basis.
2. The objective of the Biju Kanya Ratna Yojana is to improve Sex Ratio at Birth (SRB) and Child Sex Ratio (CSR) in the three districts.
The CSR has declined from 967 in the 1991 census to 941 in the 2011 census in Nayagarh, Dhenkanal, Angul and Ganjam districts. However, Nayagarh is covered under Beti Bachao Beti Padhao scheme.
3. Key highlights of the Biju Kanya Ratna Yojana
• The BKRY will ensure enrolment of girls in elementary education.
• It will track dropout girls from schools and create a better environment for them.
• The scheme will create awareness on gender discrimination against girls, their health, nutrition and education.
• The scheme also includes provision of toilets for girls in every school, self defence training for girls, promotion of access to education, sensitising adolescent girls on sexual and reproductive health issues, training of elected representatives/grassroots functionaries as community champions to mobilise communities to improve CSR and girls’ education.
4. Noted Assamese poet Nalinidhar Bhattacharyya dies
1. Noted Assamese poet, literary critic and author Nalinidhar Bhattacharyya passed away on 2 September 2016 in Guwahati following age-old ailments. He was 95.
2. He was a former principal of Arya Vidyapeeth College, Guwahati.
5. 5 September: National Teachers Day
1. Every year 5th September is being observed as National Teachers Day in India. Observance of this day commemorates the birthday of India’s first Vice President and second President Dr Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan since 1962.
2. This year’s celebration: Various programmmes in schools and colleges throughout the country are being organised in the honour of teachers who shape the lives of students and show them the path of success
6. Urjit Patel assumes charge as RBI Governor
1. Urjit Patel has assumed charge as the 24th Governor of Reserve Bank, succeeding Raghuram Rajan whose three-year controversy-ridden tenure ended yesterday.
2. Patel has assumed charge effective September 4, 2016, after serving as deputy governor since January 2013.
3. He was reappointed as deputy governor on January 11, 2016, after the completion of his first three-year term in office.
4. Among his assignments as deputy governor, Patel chaired the Expert Committee to Revise and Strengthen the Monetary Policy Framework.